U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 05:42 PM

1,012 posts, read 639,839 times

Advertisements

Outside of South Florida, which has a preponderance of Cubans and South Americans, most Hispanics in the United States are NOT white in appearance, attitude or educational and professional achievement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 06:05 PM

12,199 posts, read 10,411,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Outside of South Florida, which has a preponderance of Cubans and South Americans, most Hispanics in the United States are NOT white in appearance, attitude or educational and professional achievement.
Most Chicanos consider themselves brown, not white. I agree more Cubans, Ricans and South Americans (especially from Argentina) are white or consider themselves "white", even if white Americans do not. Not sure what you mean by "white" educational and professional achievement, though.

Old 02-25-2017, 08:06 PM

11,456 posts, read 6,575,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Most Chicanos consider themselves brown, not white. I agree more Cubans, Ricans and South Americans (especially from Argentina) are white or consider themselves "white", even if white Americans do not. Not sure what you mean by "white" educational and professional achievement, though.
South America is very diverse, but I would not say the average South American in the US is white. By me at least, the vast majority are mestizo.

And yeah, what the hell was that supposed to mean? There are plenty of lower class white people, are they not white?

Old 02-25-2017, 08:21 PM

130 posts, read 69,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
I agree with you.

In South Florida is where you find very large numbers of white, black even Asian and Jewish Spanish speakers from Cuba, all over South America and even Spain.

Outside of Florida, most Spanish speakers are actually brown (native MesoAmerican) appearance wise and they are mostly from Mexico and Central America.

There is a unspoken divide between Hispanics in the US. (You have the Mexicans, and then the everyone else)

Old 02-25-2017, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
South America is very diverse, but I would not say the average South American in the US is white. By me at least, the vast majority are mestizo.

And yeah, what the hell was that supposed to mean? There are plenty of lower class white people, are they not white?
The majority of South American in the US is not mestizo. It's more multiracial. Because many of them have african roots as well.

I'd say the average chicano is mestizo.

Old 02-25-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marble-ky View Post
The majority of South American in the US is not mestizo. It's more multiracial. Because many of them have african roots as well.

I'd say the average chicano is mestizo.
As far as South Americans, I live around mostly Ecuadorians, Peruvians, and Colombians, the overwhelming majority of them are mestizo.

Old 02-25-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marble-ky View Post
I agree with you.

In South Florida is where you find very large numbers of white, black even Asian and Jewish Spanish speakers from Cuba, all over South America and even Spain.

Outside of Florida, most Spanish speakers are actually brown (native MesoAmerican) appearance wise and they are mostly from Mexico and Central America.

There is a unspoken divide between Hispanics in the US. (You have the Mexicans, and then the everyone else)
Not true at all, most people of Hispanic descent seem to get along regardless of their country of ancestry.

Old 02-25-2017, 09:20 PM

706 posts, read 513,188 times
There are Hispanic people in northern New Mexico who are white; the descendants of 17th century Spanish settlers.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:53 PM

9,416 posts, read 17,385,532 times
I haven't read much of this thread, so maybe this has already been mentioned, but I was a surveyor for the 2010 census, and our directions were to list hispanics as white. IIRC, the only way hispanics could list themselves as such was to list it under "other". Many preferred to do just that. Apparently they didn't consider themselves "white", or maybe they just wanted to hang onto their heritage. Yet, I do see it listed separately when examining demographics of areas, so maybe I'm forgetting something.

Old 02-26-2017, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
As far as South Americans, I live around mostly Ecuadorians, Peruvians, and Colombians, the overwhelming majority of them are mestizo.
Colombians aren't that mestizo, many look either white, black or multiracial. you can tell colombians from Mexicans or Ecuadorians right away!!! Colombians if anything look more like mixed race people while Mexicans will have a more Native American look to them.

Ecuadorians and Peruvians are native Americans but Peru has a huge number of Asian descendants and many Peruvians are actually white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.