U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 07:41 AM

412 posts, read 305,791 times

Advertisements

No, Hispanics are not white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 07:50 AM

56,517 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
This is so funny, in Massachusetts and Rhode Island most of the Hispanics are so dark people often times consider them black without realizing they are talking about Dominicans/Puerto Ricans. People assume they are Cape Verdean who are black. When you get out to Western Mas and Connecticut most of the Hispanics are Puerto Rican and look more classically Latino/Rican.
There are Black Hispanics, as Hispanic is an ethnicity. Loiza is a predominantly Black city/area in Puerto Rico, as an example. African American - Latino World: LOIZA: A Black Community in Puerto Rico

You see what you speak of in Upstate NY, as many of the Hispanic are Black or of obvious African descent.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broscoe View Post
I am from PA and I agree, over there the Hispanics have been traditional pretty dark to the point you could easily call them African Americans.

That has changed due to the increase in Mexican migrants which have made the Hispanics in the area look more along the indigenous lines.

Now that I live in South Florida it's where I've seen a lot of white anglo looking Hispanics from Cuba, Colombia, Argentina, Venezuela, Brazil.

I even have a customer at my office who happens to be an orthodox Jewish man and comes from Argentina.

From my own observations, usually Mexicans, Central Americans and Ecuadorians (my girlfriend is from there) look alike, usually brown of short to middle stature.

Brazilians, Cubans, Colombians, Venezuelans have a wider range of looks. Some look Caucasian, some mixed race, some mextiso, some black etc.

Dominicans and Puerto Ricans tend to look sort of black or mixed with it.

That is what I've observed here in South Florida though, back in PA I was mostly just exposed to Dominicans and Puerto Ricans and to a lesser extent Mexicans.
I think people forget or may not know that Latin American countries also had immigration waves from Europe. Many have Jewish communities(I believe quite a few Cubans that came to Miami were Jewish). Argentina is 40-45% Italian and has people of Eastern European descent. Brazil is people with roots in Southern and Eastern Europe, along with a pretty big Japanese population. So, said countries aren't as monolithic as some may think they are.

Old 03-05-2017, 12:24 PM

4,403 posts, read 4,604,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayVanderbilt View Post
No, Hispanics are not white.
I was reading about the DNA of Hispanics. On average they have far more (southern) European ancestry than anything else. I always thought they were a near 50\50 mix of white and Native American but this was wrong. The Census Bureau has it correct...Hispanic is an ethnicity not a race. Most Hispanics are white since their genetic makeup is mostly European.

Old 03-05-2017, 12:30 PM

2,233 posts, read 1,510,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I was reading about the DNA of Hispanics. On average they have far more (southern) European ancestry than anything else. I always thought they were a near 50\50 mix of white and Native American but this was wrong. The Census Bureau has it correct...Hispanic is an ethnicity not a race. Most Hispanics are white since their genetic makeup is mostly European.
If someone doesn't look white then they aren't white. Their genetics could say something else but our eyes don't see their genetics.

I know George Lopez on his show did one of those DNA tests and he is more than 50% European. I believe that sure given Latin Americas long European colonization but people like him should say mixed or something.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:18 PM

11,456 posts, read 6,571,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broscoe View Post
It's only normal

Imagine trying to find an identity in the US and trying to find a place inside the American society while dealing with all the prejudice that is often given towards the Mexican people, and you finding yourself in the middle of that simply because you also speak Spanish.
The prejudice is wrong period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelous6977 View Post
I was just in Colombia and they are not that mestizo. At least they don't really look like Mexicans.

Some do, but most look either sort of white, sort of black, plain white, plain black or just like what Americans would call a mixture of races.

Mexicans strike me as more brown and homogenous.
They can still be mestizo while not looking exactly the same as Mexicans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
There are Black Hispanics, as Hispanic is an ethnicity. Loiza is a predominantly Black city/area in Puerto Rico, as an example. African American - Latino World: LOIZA: A Black Community in Puerto Rico

You see what you speak of in Upstate NY, as many of the Hispanic are Black or of obvious African descent.
I know most Puerto Ricans and Dominicans have black ancestry, but I still don't consider most of them black. There are exceptions of course, like David Ortiz.

Old 03-06-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
The prejudice is wrong period.

They can still be mestizo while not looking exactly the same as Mexicans.

I know most Puerto Ricans and Dominicans have black ancestry, but I still don't consider most of them black. There are exceptions of course, like David Ortiz.
What about someone like Roberto Alomar or Moises Alou? I don't think I said that most of them are Black, but in terms of Dominicans, most are of obvious African descent, regardless of how they identify.

Old 03-07-2017, 01:29 AM

11,456 posts, read 6,571,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about someone like Roberto Alomar or Moises Alou? I don't think I said that most of them are Black, but in terms of Dominicans, most are of obvious African descent, regardless of how they identify.
Hmm those guys are borderline. They're blatantly mulatto looking but if I knew they were Hispanic I would probably think of them as Hispanic rather than black (I know the two are not mutually exclusive but you get the point). That might sound weird, but that's just how I perceive things.

And yeah most have visible black ancestry, but I generally don't perceive most of them as black. I've known a lot of Dominicans in my life and that could have something to do with it. Although in many cases they have enough black ancestry to not look white, but still don't have strong black features. That's especially true of Puerto Ricans.

Quote:
Mestizo strictly means white/indigenous admixture

If you have African blood then you're no longer a mestizo

Being multiracial is more reflective of Colombia's modern mixed population, not taking into account the many whites and blacks I saw of course.

There are also degrees of admixture if we want to get technical. Colombians on average seem to have more African and European blood than Mexicans, Peruvians, Ecuadorians who lean towards the native brown side.
That's not true, someone who's 48% indigenous, 48% white, and 4% black would still be considered a mestizo by most people.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:32 AM

12,414 posts, read 11,913,851 times
Quote:
48% white, 48% indigenous, 2% black?
people are food items that can be broken up into ingredients?
There's been plenty of genetic studies which have shown the average ethnic breakdown of different Latin American countries over the last 10 years. Sometimes down to the provincial level.

Old 03-08-2017, 05:50 PM

Location: L'Enfant D.C. near the southern end of the megalopolis
39 posts, read 22,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post

Well, that happens not to be how race works in the U.S. Consider that many black/white biracial people consider themselves "black" and would not be considered only white. In reality, I would guess that most half-black American, half-white people have mostly European DNA, because most black people here are not genetically 100% African.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.