U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 02:12 PM

13 posts, read 24,409 times

Advertisements

I am curious to know if most non-black Hispanics can pass for white. I realize that most of them are mixed European/Indigenous blood to varying degrees but Italians can also have that tan look and are considered "white". In the future will we in the U.S. just lump them as part of the white culture? Another thing of interest is it seems that non-black Hispanics marry non-Hispanic whites more than other groups. My own brother married a Mexican-American and they have 2 children who look white but with a nice tan. So what do you think? I personally think they will because "whites" are shrinking in number and in order to still retain a white majority non-black Hispanics will be labeled as "white". I mean how else can they identify if the the only choices are White, Black, Asian, Native America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 04:50 PM

542 posts, read 1,405,361 times
Yes.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:52 PM

742 posts, read 719,409 times
I consider them to be American Indians, except for Hispanics from Spain obviously.

Old 08-09-2014, 12:48 AM

3,144 posts, read 2,824,419 times
Other - mixed. Most Native American nations will not accept a member unless they are 100% ethnically a descendant. The children aren't white but if that is the new pc thing, then who knows.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:52 AM

186 posts, read 424,972 times
From what I have seen, no.

The census may only give you a few options, but it does not mean people SEE you that way. Most people who are 'obviously' hispanic are not considered or treated as if they are white, from my experience.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:05 AM

3,308 posts, read 2,761,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySoutherner1 View Post
I am curious to know if most non-black Hispanics can pass for white. I realize that most of them are mixed European/Indigenous blood to varying degrees but Italians can also have that tan look and are considered "white". In the future will we in the U.S. just lump them as part of the white culture? Another thing of interest is it seems that non-black Hispanics marry non-Hispanic whites more than other groups. My own brother married a Mexican-American and they have 2 children who look white but with a nice tan. So what do you think? I personally think they will because "whites" are shrinking in number and in order to still retain a white majority non-black Hispanics will be labeled as "white". I mean how else can they identify if the the only choices are White, Black, Asian, Native America.
They already were considered White for a pretty long period. The term Hispanic is pretty new.

I was born in the 70s and my birth certificate says Caucasian even though I am dark skinned.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:23 AM

308 posts, read 402,352 times
My skin is sort of white because my dad is Sicilian but I have Latino features because my mom is Puerto Rican. I've always checked the box that says two or more races lol

Old 08-09-2014, 12:28 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,088,556 times
There will not be some system maintaining a White majority. Especially since we are seeing more minorities rise to positions of power.

And no, I don't think most Hispanics are considered White, unless they or their ancestors are from Portugal or Spain.

Old 08-09-2014, 04:20 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,509,702 times
This is a complicated question to answer. Hispanics, clearly, go from blond and blue-eyed to black, with everything in between. Look at Cameron Diaz and Sammy Sosa. But racial identity is always shifting and rooted in culture. For example, about 85-95% of Argentines identify as white, yet about half have some indigenous ancestry. In Puerto Rico, where there are many shades of white, brown, and black, racial identity is more complex than in the mainland U.S.

Before 1917, most Mexicans identified as white as well, but there was a leftist revolution in the country that celebrated the country's indigenous roots. Enchiladas started being topped with mole, rather than béchamel. Indigenous music was promoted over classical. As a result, more people started identifying as multiracial.

Before 1930, the US government considered Mexicans to be "white" as well. Much like Europe, there was no immigration restrictions on Mexico, while immigration from, say, China was highly regulated. What happened in '30, was that, due to fear of lice, Mexico was re-classified with strict immigration quotas, much like the East Asian countries and Africa, while there was still open immigration for most of Europe. The American government also built containment centers along the boarder where Mexicans had to be cleaned, shaved, and quarantined before entering the country. These events caused a shift in American public rhetoric that further racialized Mexicans and Mexican Americans, which only escalated over the past eighty years with the Chicano labor-rights movement of the 60's and the immigration debates now.

So are most Hispanics white? Since race is a social construct, that depends on the society where a person is from and society where one is currently living.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:35 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,196,728 times
Studies have shown that 4th and sometimes 3rd generation hispanics begin labeling themselves as white. So yes, over time hispanics will begin identifying with whites
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.