U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which is your least favorite English-language accents?
General American (midwestern) 13 3.85%
California "non-accent" 25 7.40%
Texas 18 5.33%
General U.S. Southern 83 24.56%
New York/ New Jersey 101 29.88%
Boston 33 9.76%
Minnesotan 31 9.17%
Canadian 6 1.78%
General British 14 4.14%
Australian 14 4.14%
Voters: 338. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 02:55 PM

151 posts, read 1,159 times
I grew up in New York, so that Italian English dialect is the norm for me (although I didn't pick it up).

I have to say the Southern accent is quite annoying. I like both Aussie and British. I don't mind midwestern or "Californian"

Canadian sometimes touches a nerve

Bostonian is a somewhat similar to NY/NJ so I don't really mind it either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 11:13 PM

9,661 posts, read 8,177,170 times
I rated "Neutral". Having grown up in the suburbs of St. Louis I'm not surprised.

Old 01-01-2008, 03:30 AM

1,134 posts, read 8,675 times
Love Mayor Quimby's son on "The Simpsons" (The Quimbys all sound like the Kennedys) making fun of a french waiter and his innability to correctly say the word 'chowder'. "Come on. Say it! SAY IT!!" ..pregnant pause..then the waiter says 'showdierre'. To which Quimby's son screams "Ha Ha Haa! It's CHOWDA! It's CHOWDA!!" It's funny 'cause it's true

Old 01-02-2008, 12:24 PM

4,557 posts, read 9,024,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
As for my least favorite - Philly, followed by NY/NJ. Used to hate Boston but was there a few months ago and hung with some natives and really grew to be fond of it.
You hate my accent!!!!! My heart not unlike this can...

Old 01-02-2008, 09:06 PM

54 posts, read 42,723 times
Default NY accent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Thing is that the New York accent is a thing of the past. You barely hear anyone talk like that these days. The only people still talking like that are 30 years and over Italians.

I can count on 1 hand the amount of people that I met that twalked like dis.
Well, thats a combination of too much charaterization from the media and the reality of that accent is stronger in the far reaches of caucasion NYC and the suburbs than it is of general NYC. The accent move with the people who spoke it -- to the suburbs. In came the asians, south americans and the midwesterners/southerners.etc from America. Plus the mediazation of all regional accents -- and isnt THAT a tragedy!!! I love to hera little ones TAWK wid the accent of me and my muddah and faddah!!! I feel like a dying species though. Its the media, more than anything else -- that damned "up-inflection" and all.......

Old 01-02-2008, 10:44 PM

83 posts, read 189,196 times
I agree; walk the streets of Manhattan and you're most likely to hear typical run-of-the mill Midwestern accents, especially in the "hip" parts of the borough (i.e. East Village, SoHo, Tribeca), and then take a ride on the 7 train to Queens and you'll hear pretty much any foreign accent you can think of. Very rarely, if ever, do I hear a glorified New York Italian accent.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:03 AM

4,462 posts, read 7,787,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I don't care for a New Jersey accent, which to someone who is used to listening, is distinctly different then a New York one so I didn't vote. I like New York accents.
This is so true about NJ and NY accents. They're so different.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:20 PM

133 posts, read 331,061 times
To me nothing is more annoying than a midwest accent. I think it sounds uneducated and dull. I love old school New Yorker accents (Michael Savage, Chuck Schumer, etc.).

Old 01-16-2008, 04:33 PM

5,827 posts, read 11,001,662 times
Don't a lot of news anchors try to sound midwestern?

I'm midwestern, and I like my accent just fine. I'm also kind of southern, but I try to sound midwestern. Boston accents kind of get on my nerves.

I've heard a St. Louis accent before (Warsh) (Thurr), but even that doesn't apply to all St. Louisans. I think Mike Shannon has a bit of a St. Louis accent, which would make sense because he was born, raised, and played baseball in St. Louis. You don't really notice it as much in Ryan Howard, but he's been out of St. Louis for a few years, so I don't know what his accent was like originally. John Goodman's a St. Louisan as well, but I think he also spends a lot of time in the south. Yogi Berra doesn't sound distinctively St. Louisan to me, though. But he's also been in New York for a long time, and over years accents change. And Yogi also sounds Italian to me, which certainly makes sense.

Last edited by STLCardsBlues1989; 01-16-2008 at 05:11 PM..

Old 01-16-2008, 04:48 PM

1,761 posts, read 3,617,148 times
Default Grand Totals for Most Annoying Accent

As this thread has just about died out, it looks like the all-time, most-annoying accent is the combined Texas/Southern accent, with 57 votes [in line with earlier posts about combining the two accents into one category].

2nd place would be the combined NY/NJ accent, with 53 votes .

And honestly, this is the only fair way to do it. Per pwright1 and lindsey_mcfarren'c comments below, the NY/NJ accents aren't exactly the same. So if we combine those two, we rightfully should combine the Texas/Southern accents as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.