U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-09-2014, 03:50 PM
 
Location: Auburn, New York
1,775 posts, read 2,510,935 times
Reputation: 2935

Advertisements

I thought hipsters were just aspiring artists and writers. So, I guess anywhere that doesn't have an art school would be fine. And what's wrong with aspiring artists and writers anyway?

To me, it sounds like like these "annoying hipsters" that everyone is complaining about seem to be no different from the yuppies of the 80's and 90's. Have these two terms (hipster and yuppie) become synonymous? I don't understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-09-2014, 04:02 PM
 
Location: Who Cares, USA
2,343 posts, read 2,750,537 times
Reputation: 2258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
I thought hipsters were just aspiring artists and writers. So, I guess anywhere that doesn't have an art school would be fine. And what's wrong with aspiring artists and writers anyway?

To me, it sounds like like these "annoying hipsters" that everyone is complaining about seem to be no different from the yuppies of the 80's and 90's. Have these two terms (hipster and yuppie) become synonymous? I don't understand.
That's why I used the term "neo-hipster", rather than "hipster". Two very different breeds in my book. Actual, real hipsters are few and far between anymore... but any trust-fund baby can grow a beard, get some tattoos, throw on some stretch-jeans and pose. It's all the rage these days, and these fakers are everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2014, 04:06 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
3,144 posts, read 2,825,934 times
Reputation: 2858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
can someone please explain to me the difference between hipsters and young urban professionals?
The difference is the hipsters don't consider themselves rich young urban professionals. They are the new yuppies but see themselves as far left hard core hippies. They think they are counterculture when in reality they are 80s capitalist suburbanites reincarnated. They are elitists and will deny any involvement with keeping up with the joneses even though that is what they live for. As someone said on another forum - Every trendy neighborhood has it's juice bar, vegan restaurant, coffee shop, and Parisian market on Saturdays (Farmer's Market).

Young urban professionals own it and vote Republican.

Hipsters will destroy cities by having neighborhoods "high class hippie" gentrified. The COL escalates and soon the locals (middle class) are pushed out. The only choice is either to live in the wealthy cookie cutter hipster neighborhoods or ghettos. That is why there is so much hate for them.

Last edited by bluecarebear; 08-09-2014 at 04:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2014, 05:55 PM
 
Location: Hampton Roads, VA.
867 posts, read 1,087,650 times
Reputation: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
The difference is the hipsters don't consider themselves rich young urban professionals. They are the new yuppies but see themselves as far left hard core hippies. They think they are counterculture when in reality they are 80s capitalist suburbanites reincarnated. They are elitists and will deny any involvement with keeping up with the joneses even though that is what they live for. As someone said on another forum - Every trendy neighborhood has it's juice bar, vegan restaurant, coffee shop, and Parisian market on Saturdays (Farmer's Market).

Young urban professionals own it and vote Republican.

Hipsters will destroy cities by having neighborhoods "high class hippie" gentrified. The COL escalates and soon the locals (middle class) are pushed out. The only choice is either to live in the wealthy cookie cutter hipster neighborhoods or ghettos. That is why there is so much hate for them.
yeah, I didn't want to be the one to ask "what are they" but from what I gather you kinda explain what comes to my mind. They generally are the spawn of people who fleed to the suburbs threw the 70s/80s/90s also, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2014, 06:12 PM
 
128 posts, read 168,273 times
Reputation: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
That's why I used the term "neo-hipster", rather than "hipster". Two very different breeds in my book. Actual, real hipsters are few and far between anymore... but any trust-fund baby can grow a beard, get some tattoos, throw on some stretch-jeans and pose. It's all the rage these days, and these fakers are everywhere.
This had me laughing. I especially love the part that goes "These fakers are everywhere". Haha. Good stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2014, 06:31 PM
 
Location: Pure Michigan!
4,346 posts, read 7,420,095 times
Reputation: 6782
I call the so-called hipsters in Ann Arbor "pseudo hipsters". Most of them are white kids from privileged homes who can't wait to move to a city like Ann Arbor and "be themselves", which means nothing more than that they are pretty much identical to everyone else who moved there to "be themselves". Tattoos? Check. Piercings? Check. Floppy wool hat hung just so on the back of the head, even in July? Check. Horn-rimmed "smart" glasses? Check, even if the lenses are just plain glass. Skinny jeans? Check. Black shirts with random, local hipster bands on them? Check. Plenty of money to afford to live at Starbucks and Whole Foods? Check. Huge superiority attitude that they are the only thing right with the world? Oh, CHECK!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2014, 06:45 PM
 
Location: Who Cares, USA
2,343 posts, read 2,750,537 times
Reputation: 2258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Right To Life View Post
Is a fake hipster really worse than a real one? lol
Fake ANYTHING is pretty much always worse than the genuine article in my book. I'm weird like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2014, 06:57 PM
 
Location: Who Cares, USA
2,343 posts, read 2,750,537 times
Reputation: 2258
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
I call the so-called hipsters in Ann Arbor "pseudo hipsters". Most of them are white kids from privileged homes who can't wait to move to a city like Ann Arbor and "be themselves", which means nothing more than that they are pretty much identical to everyone else who moved there to "be themselves". Tattoos? Check. Piercings? Check. Floppy wool hat hung just so on the back of the head, even in July? Check. Horn-rimmed "smart" glasses? Check, even if the lenses are just plain glass. Skinny jeans? Check. Black shirts with random, local hipster bands on them? Check. Plenty of money to afford to live at Starbucks and Whole Foods? Check. Huge superiority attitude that they are the only thing right with the world? Oh, CHECK!
Bingo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2014, 07:36 PM
 
5,682 posts, read 8,754,172 times
Reputation: 4911
If Greenville indeed has few/no hipsters then that is a good choice. Greenville is a very nice city in a great location.

I'm wondering about Charlotte. It's big enough that I'm sure it has a few but the primary emphasis seems to be business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2014, 09:16 PM
 
128 posts, read 168,273 times
Reputation: 155
I always laugh at the hipsters who wear a beanie on their head when it's over 70 degrees outside. I myself will only wear a beanie when it's cold outside and when it actually serves a purpose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top