U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 10:38 AM

1,775 posts, read 2,522,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Exactly. You can look up literally every word in the English language and get a passable definition between a couple words and a sentence or two. I love watching people scramble to "define" hipster with multi-paragraph essays and pictures with venn diagrams. "Hipster" is someone projecting their own insecurities onto people younger than them who are part of a different cultural scene the projector is unfamiliar with. Until someone can actually define what this word actually means in a dictionary format that actually holds water in 2014, these threads are and will continue to be 100% bogus.

The actual answer to the OP would then be, "what cities skew the oldest in the United States?" I'm sure that's easy enough to look up.

--From a guy in his 40s who has never had a beard, colored his hair or worn a wacky hat.
I was going to give rep to this, but it wouldn't let me.

Nice post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 05:41 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,669,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
Really? I saw lots of hipsters in New Orleans when I visited.
We must have a different definition then...

Old 08-11-2014, 06:04 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,669,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Not "changing" it, just a part of it. Just like in any other big city. When I was growing up in Houston in the 70's and 80's, there were plenty of artists, musicians, college students, and intellectuals in some of the inner city neighborhoods. The difference is that back then, those neighborhoods were a LOT more affordable, and weren't at all these trendy zip codes where young professionals wanted to live. Back then, the kind of people who would fit the "neo-hipster" mindset of today were either fleeing to the suburbs, or moving elsewhere. They looked down on "freaky" inner city people. The actual "hip" crowd were social misfits who didn't fit into the 9-to-5 world. More like the types Dawn Davenport described in the post above this one. Hippies, punks, performance artists, hustlers, poets, and the like concentrated mainly in one neighborhood in Houston back then - the Montrose. Those were different times. Today the Montrose is still considered the "hip" part of town, but it's just a different kind of hip. A more homogenized, clean, safe, predictable, gentrified, priveleged version.
As someone in the same age group as the hipsters I can see why the inner city neighborhood has an appeal. It is easier to live without a car, some of the neighborhoods have an aesthetic appeal, it is a shorter commute for most, they don't want to maintain a big property by themselves, more likely to have other people in their age group, etc. Many of us just want a change or a new experience from the suburbs, something most of us were born and raised in.

What I think we are seeing is a big change. Currently we associate the "freaky" people with inner city neighborhoods. As the young professionals want these walkable areas, prices will rise and the "freaks" may be priced out. They might end up being in a suburb further out. With that, there will be a fight to change that (probably from those already living there or nearby), but as they keep getting priced out, they are going to have to. It will be a new neighborhood, for good or for worse.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:20 PM

77 posts, read 110,891 times
Birmingham. Dallas. Tampa. Virginia Beach

Old 08-12-2014, 08:08 AM

1,954 posts, read 4,513,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
We must have a different definition then...
I know a hipster when I see one, and live in an area that has many. I don't know how you missed seeing them there, and the other poster who lived in NOLA agreed that there are many. They seemed to be all over the place in Marigny/Bywater, sections of Magazine street, Freret Street, Frenchman Street, and even in the French Quarter once you got away from Bourbon Street and Jackson Square. I also noticed that NOLA has a lot of gutter punks.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:49 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,411,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
I know a hipster when I see one
LOL

But you (and the rest of the world) is unable to define them. Yet complex scientific theories can be condensed into a sentence or two and included in a dictionary. They must be onto something if "hipsters" are so utterly complex that they defy definition!

Old 08-12-2014, 12:40 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,839,821 times
Cities NOT to move to.

Forbes list of the Top 20 coolest cities:

1. Washington, D.C.
2. Seattle, Wash.
3. Austin, Texas
4. Houston, Texas
5. San Francisco, Calif.
6. San Diego, Calif.
7. Denver, Colo.
8. Riverside, Calif.
9. Boston, Mass.
10. Dallas, Texas
11. New York, N.Y.
12. Oakland, Calif.
13. Miami, Fla.
14. Sacramento, Calif.
15. San Antonio, Texas
16. TIE: San Jose, Calif. and Los Angeles, Calif.
18. Raleigh, N.C.
19. Bethesda, Md.
20. Santa Ana, Calif.

They are missing Portland, Minneapolis, & Asheville.

Old 08-12-2014, 01:23 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,123,508 times
That list is horrible. How are Houston, San Diego, Sacramento, San Antonio, Riverside, and Dallas above LA in the 'cool' factor? AND how does San Jose tie with it? I get that LA is sprawling and has smog, but c'mon! I can understand why some would prefer NYC, San Francisco, Boston, Seattle or even Austin and Denver...but LA, like NYC, just has far more to do and far more amenities than any of those other cities, not to mention the beaches, fine weather, and beauty puts many of those other cities to shame.

Old 08-12-2014, 01:50 PM

14,174 posts, read 23,333,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrockettandTubbs View Post
Name a place that you like that doesn't seem to have many hipsters. One place that I like here in the United States that does not seem to have many hipsters is Palm Desert, California. Palm Desert is located near Palm Springs and is just a couple hours east of Los Angeles. I love Palm Desert. It's a great place and is truly a hidden gem in this country. The only negative is that it sucks during the summer because of the heat. Other than the summer it's a great place to be.
Isn't everybody in Palm Desert about 100 years old? At least Hipsters won't run you down with their scooters!

Old 08-12-2014, 02:50 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,411,812 times
Breaka Hipster
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or