U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-14-2014, 04:20 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis
1,704 posts, read 2,761,860 times
Reputation: 2335

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
People say that they prefer living in a warm climate, but what do they do when they're there? AC. In the car. At work. At home. Everywhere, they're using the AC. If they truly enjoyed the hot weather that much, then why are they making efforts to mitigate the heat by using AC all the time!? "I love the heat so much that I am not going to turn on the AC," said no one....ever.
To be fair you could say the exact same about heating in the north. But that should just go to show how little impact weather ACTUALLY has on our daily lives, despite how much crap Minneapolis and Phoenix get for their "unlivable" climates.

That said, for me personally - I consistently have more energy and get more done when it's cold and dry then when it's hot and humid. I feel muddy and tired after walking around in summer heat; in winter I feel awake and alert after I've been outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-14-2014, 04:27 PM
 
Location: Derby, CT
3,584 posts, read 2,501,171 times
Reputation: 2927
I like to be able to stand outside for more than a few minutes without sweating (in the summer).

The humidity here in Florida makes you sweat during the summer whether the sun is up OR down!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2014, 04:45 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,145 posts, read 14,116,699 times
Reputation: 7075
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
To be fair you could say the exact same about heating in the north. But that should just go to show how little impact weather ACTUALLY has on our daily lives, despite how much crap Minneapolis and Phoenix get for their "unlivable" climates.

That said, for me personally - I consistently have more energy and get more done when it's cold and dry then when it's hot and humid. I feel muddy and tired after walking around in summer heat; in winter I feel awake and alert after I've been outside.
Well that was my point. It can be said about the north or the south. The bottom line is that, unless you live in San Diego, you're going to need either heat or AC no matter what. No matter where you live, you're going to try to condition the air to be close to room temperature, whether it's heating or cooling. Since heat is needed in the South all winter long, as well as AC all summer long, I just don't see the advantage of living there. The same indoor temperature adjustments apply in the north.

Long story short....climate doesn't matter that much. I'd be more concerned about things like frequency of precipitation, number of sunny days, snow days, overcast, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2014, 04:52 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
5,286 posts, read 4,157,131 times
Reputation: 4349
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
I feel muddy and tired after walking around in summer heat
It's called being dehydrated. Drink more water and eat right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post

The humidity here in Florida makes you sweat during the summer whether the sun is up OR down!
It's also great for your skin and keeps you young.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2014, 04:59 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
5,286 posts, read 4,157,131 times
Reputation: 4349
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well that was my point. It can be said about the north or the south. The bottom line is that, unless you live in San Diego, you're going to need either heat or AC no matter what. No matter where you live, you're going to try to condition the air to be close to room temperature, whether it's heating or cooling. Since heat is needed in the South all winter long, as well as AC all summer long, I just don't see the advantage of living there. The same indoor temperature adjustments apply in the north.

Long story short....climate doesn't matter that much. I'd be more concerned about things like frequency of precipitation, number of sunny days, snow days, overcast, etc.
I'm from Southeast Texas. I think I can count on maybe one hand the total number of winter days per year we had to run the heat for an entire 24 hours. For most of the south, about half of the winter season is California weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2014, 05:00 PM
 
Location: Derby, CT
3,584 posts, read 2,501,171 times
Reputation: 2927
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
It's also great for your skin and keeps you young.
lol. Tell me that after having a look at all of the red skinned people that have lived here far too long. The sun damages your skin and advances aging. Anything that humidity would do to counteract that would be simply overwhelmed by the effects of the sun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2014, 05:02 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,145 posts, read 14,116,699 times
Reputation: 7075
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
lol. Tell me that after having a look at all of the red skinned people that have lived here far too long. The sun damages your skin and advances aging. Anything that humidity would do to counteract that would be simply overwhelmed by the effects of the sun.
This is true. It's healthier for the skin, to live in a place that has a sufficient number of overcast days. My ideal place would have 60% sunny days, and overcast for the other 40%. Because you also need Vitamin D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2014, 05:04 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
5,286 posts, read 4,157,131 times
Reputation: 4349
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
lol. Tell me that after having a look at all of the red skinned people that have lived here far too long. The sun damages your skin and advances aging. Anything that humidity would do to counteract that would be simply overwhelmed by the effects of the sun.
No overexposure to the sun causes skin damage, and this is only really a problem for white people anyway. Most humid days are atleast partly cloudy, so the average person isn't being exposed to a excessive amount of sunlight.

What else you got...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2014, 05:08 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
5,286 posts, read 4,157,131 times
Reputation: 4349
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
This is true. It's healthier for the skin, to live in a place that has a sufficient number of overcast days. My ideal place would have 60% sunny days, and overcast for the other 40%. Because you also need Vitamin D.
And most humid places get a great deal of rain which means (gasp!) plenty of clouds.

You guys are silly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2014, 05:34 PM
 
Location: Derby, CT
3,584 posts, read 2,501,171 times
Reputation: 2927
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
No overexposure to the sun causes skin damage, and this is only really a problem for white people anyway. Most humid days are atleast partly cloudy, so the average person isn't being exposed to a excessive amount of sunlight.

What else you got...
Yes, it damages your skin AND causes advanced aging!

Health Effects of UV Radiation | SunWise | US EPA

Quote:
Chronic exposure to the sun also causes premature aging, which over time can make the skin become thick, wrinkled, and leathery. Since it occurs gradually, often manifesting itself many years after the majority of a person’s sun exposure, premature aging is often regarded as an unavoidable, normal part of growing older. However, up to 90 percent of the visible skin changes commonly attributed to aging are caused by the sun. With proper protection from UV radiation, most premature aging of the skin can be avoided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top