U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2014, 08:49 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,410,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Atlanta is much more cool than the rest of the south. And people are voting with their feet. It's clear that many Americans prefer the south's weather to the north's and you simply can't stand that fact. I'm sure you'll pretend not to see this response, as you come off as someone who clearly does not like being corrected and would rather carry on spouting nonsense.
For the millionth time, just like with the Northern migration, people move for JOBS and COL.

You pretending that the southern sun is actually more beneficial to human skin is hilarious, so let's keep that going as long possible as I need entertainment today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 08:59 AM

5,286 posts, read 4,178,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Didn't think I had to respond to that since it's known that skin benefits from more humidity indeed. But I believe that the effects of the sun counter these benefits. I'm not stating that as a matter of fact, but as a matter of conclusion drawn by the benefits of humidity vs effects of the sun.

The northern states on the east cost certainly have plenty of humidity though... We also have very few sunny days in comparison. I would say a conclusion could be drawn that northeasteners would benefit the most due to these facts.
You're still dodging the fact that bringing up the issue of sun damage was mostly irrelevant since one can easily take simple measures to protect themselves from the sun. Why don't you just admit that the only reason you brought it up was in a failed attempt to refute what I was saying?

It should also be pointed out that cities like Miami Houston and New Orleans along with rest of the coastal and deep south have much greater relative humidity and dew points than anywhere up north, so again, the benefits down south will be greater.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
For the millionth time, just like with the Northern migration, people move for JOBS and COL.
I never said everyone moves down south for the weather, but more people are moving in that direction for the weather than there are people moving north for the same reason. You'll just have to keep being a hater.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:18 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,410,756 times
Quote:
I never said everyone moves down south for the weather, but more people are moving in that direction for the weather than there are people moving north for the same reason. You'll just have to keep being a hater.
A hater of what? I just think you're too blinded by local pride to be at all logical in this discussion. There's a reason why it's you vs everyone else.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
A hater of what? I just think you're too blinded by local pride to be at all logical in this discussion. There's a reason why it's you vs everyone else.
Yes and that reason is northerners being unable to accept that the south may have some advantages. Unless you're able to prove any of my points wrong, you're in no place to call out my logic.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:26 AM

3,584 posts, read 2,512,479 times
Quote:
You're still dodging the fact that bringing up the issue of sun damage was mostly irrelevant since one can easily take simple measures to protect themselves from the sun. Why don't you just admit that the only reason you brought it up was in a failed attempt to refute what I was saying?

It should also be pointed out that cities like Miami Houston and New Orleans along with rest of the coastal and deep south have much greater relative humidity and dew points than anywhere up north, so again, the benefits down south will be greater.
I brought up how uncomfortable the humidity is (which it is).

You brought up the benefits of humidity (which it has)

I brought up that damage from the sun outweighs benefits of humidity

Then you said that overexposure to the sun causes skin damage... and somehow it's only "really a problem" for white people.

I brought up the fact that there are more sunny days in comparison to the north

You brought to the table data from the CDC that shows 3 of the states in the north with higher risk of melanoma (which pushed the topic into a related, yet off-topic discussion).

I brought up that you had misunderstood your own link and quoted the part of the article that brings up the issue of behavior.

You then called my earlier claim of southerners having more skin damage as baseless

I responded with the fact that there are more sunny days in the south ergo more sun exposure ergo more skin damage and that you have pushed the conversation to speak of skin cancer (which I never commented on prior to you bringing it up).

So I do believe that I kept on track and on topic. It is you who pushed the conversation into different directions. I never stated that humidity had no benefits to the skin, what I did state was that there are more sunny days in the south and therefore more sun exposure and as a result more skin damage.

Not that it matters though, because my initial complaint was simply that it's too humid in the south. You're the one that went into a tirade of arguments that had little to do with my initial complaint.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
I brought up how uncomfortable the humidity is (which it is).

You brought up the benefits of humidity (which it has)

I brought up that damage from the sun outweighs benefits of humidity

Then you said that overexposure to the sun causes skin damage... and somehow it's only "really a problem" for white people.

I brought up the fact that there are more sunny days in comparison to the north

You brought to the table data from the CDC that shows 3 of the states in the north with higher risk of melanoma (which pushed the topic into a related, yet off-topic discussion).

I brought up that you had misunderstood your own link and quoted the part of the article that brings up the issue of behavior.

You then called my earlier claim of southerners having more skin damage as baseless

I responded with the fact that there are more sunny days in the south ergo more sun exposure ergo more skin damage and that you have pushed the conversation to speak of skin cancer (which I never commented on prior to you bringing it up).

So I do believe that I kept on track and on topic. It is you who pushed the conversation into different directions. I never stated that humidity had no benefits to the skin, what I did state was that there are more sunny days in the south and therefore more sun exposure and as a result more skin damage.

Not that it matters though, because my initial complaint was simply that it's too humid in the south. You're the one that went into a tirade of arguments that had little to do with my initial complaint.
No sir. I made a simple reply of the humidity being good for your skin. You're the one who started the whole conversation about the unrelated issue of sun damage. I was talking about humidity itself. YOU brought up the sun, which began a debate that we all participated in.

No you did not specify skin cancer, but unless you have another source with data regarding any measurable amount of skin damage, all we have is my source which clearly shows that serious skin damage is mostly greater up north, so your claims remain unsupported.

Without even being able to PROVE that sun damage outweighs the benefits of humidity on average, you have navigated the conversation through a sea of split hairs and straw mans. And again, this is all because you guys don't want to give any advantages to the south.

Last edited by Gunion Powder; 08-15-2014 at 10:16 AM..

Old 08-15-2014, 10:26 AM

3,584 posts, read 2,512,479 times
Quote:

Without even being able to PROVE that sun damage outweighs the benefits of humidity on average, you have navigated the conversation through a sea of split hairs and straw mans. And again, this is all because you guys don't want to give any advantages to the south.
Oh brother, you really are quite dense! More sun = more sun exposure = more sun damage. How much humidity does it take before it is no longer beneficial? Surely there must be a point where adding more humidity renders no advantage. Add more sun and you get more damage every time.

I sincerely doubt that the benefits of humidity outweigh the effects of the sun. I would love to read an article explaining otherwise. How somehow humidity protects people from the effects of the sun or somehow counterbalances it. That would be interesting indeed!

Old 08-15-2014, 10:27 AM

29,981 posts, read 27,507,395 times
Quote:
I agree, but aside from retirees, the weather is more of a secondary consideration; the availability of jobs is what has mainly spurred mass migrations in this country's history and the South is no exception.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:07 AM

320 posts, read 475,388 times
LOL. In about five months there will be posts on C-D from people saying that they're tired of the cold and are moving down south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or