U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 08-15-2014, 11:26 AM
 
Location: Milwaukee
3,451 posts, read 3,428,804 times
Reputation: 2896

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SawBoi View Post
LOL. In about five months there will be posts on C-D from people saying that they're tired of the cold and are moving down south.
Why is that funny? All I heard in Orlando a couple weeks ago from locals was constant complaints about the heat at a level I've never heard here regarding the winter. There are preferable seasons and preferable times for every region. People move because of JOBS, that was the point (that you missed entirely, obviously).
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-15-2014, 11:51 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
5,286 posts, read 4,204,509 times
Reputation: 4350
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Oh brother, you really are quite dense! More sun = more sun exposure = more sun damage. How much humidity does it take before it is no longer beneficial? Surely there must be a point where adding more humidity renders no advantage. Add more sun and you get more damage every time.

I sincerely doubt that the benefits of humidity outweigh the effects of the sun. I would love to read an article explaining otherwise. How somehow humidity protects people from the effects of the sun or somehow counterbalances it. That would be interesting indeed!
I haven't insulted you so I don't see why you felt the need to go there.

Many parts of the south are heavily wooded, so much so that you are barely exposed to the sun. Ever been to Atlanta? Therefore one can easily be exposed to humidity without being overly exposed to damaging levels of sunlight. Your sun damage argument is a straw man, and without any proof of what you are suggesting is unsupported. If you fail to absorb either of these irrefutable points than so be it, but I am done with this conversation.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2014, 11:52 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
5,286 posts, read 4,204,509 times
Reputation: 4350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I agree, but aside from retirees, the weather is more of a secondary consideration; the availability of jobs is what has mainly spurred mass migrations in this country's history and the South is no exception.
Well I never said that weather was the primary reason all or even most move down south.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2014, 12:05 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee
3,451 posts, read 3,428,804 times
Reputation: 2896
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Well I never said that weather was the primary reason all or even most move down south.
Sure you did.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2014, 12:09 PM
 
293 posts, read 262,677 times
Reputation: 401
I have a low tolerance for bible thumping conservatives.

Also, I enjoy the cities more so in the north and I am not a fan of constant humidity. I have low needs for "big houses" and do just fine with apartment living, so long as my surroundings are walkable.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2014, 01:47 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
5,286 posts, read 4,204,509 times
Reputation: 4350
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Sure you did.
Where?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2014, 02:49 PM
 
320 posts, read 477,276 times
Reputation: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Why is that funny? All I heard in Orlando a couple weeks ago from locals was constant complaints about the heat at a level I've never heard here regarding the winter. There are preferable seasons and preferable times for every region. People move because of JOBS, that was the point (that you missed entirely, obviously).
Gotcha buddy. LOL
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2014, 02:49 PM
 
8,891 posts, read 10,943,492 times
Reputation: 12967
I've lived in real hot and real snowy/colder climates and I couldn't get over how much work it was for me in the cold climate. When I was younger, it was no big deal, but as you get older, it does seem like a big deal! The layering of clothes, the shovels, the scraping, the de-icing, car warming, keeping warm inside, boots, driving roads that are icy or snowy, etc. It really felt much harder to me overall. But, thank goodness we all feel different or we'd all be living in the same place! I don't think one climate is "better" versus another, just dependent on the person.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2014, 02:59 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee
3,451 posts, read 3,428,804 times
Reputation: 2896
Quote:
Originally Posted by SawBoi View Post
Gotcha buddy. LOL
So you think right now in Orlando the climate is preferable to the Midwest? I'll bet you're in a tiny, tiny minority with that one. Probably the same size as the reverse in the winter.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2014, 03:26 PM
 
320 posts, read 477,276 times
Reputation: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
So you think right now in Orlando the climate is preferable to the Midwest? I'll bet you're in a tiny, tiny minority with that one. Probably the same size as the reverse in the winter.
It's hot in the midwest too.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top