U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 10:51 PM

5,660 posts, read 6,857,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Especially the women...
I wouldn't be too sure about them in the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 10:52 PM

24 posts, read 28,572 times
Yes, the wimmins, someone beat me to the punch.

Old 08-10-2014, 12:02 AM

6,522 posts, read 7,470,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Yeah I think there's parts of the Midwest where real estate is cheaper than the South.

This is true, parts of the Midwest would be free if they were any cheaper. Ohio Indiana and especially Michigan are unreal cheap. Of course the economy in that part of the country is terrible but if you work anyone can have cheap housing.

Old 08-10-2014, 12:14 AM

12,201 posts, read 10,425,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
This is true, parts of the Midwest would be free if they were any cheaper. Ohio Indiana and especially Michigan are unreal cheap. Of course the economy in that part of the country is terrible but if you work anyone can have cheap housing.
Unemployment numbers state otherwise...the Midwest is doing better than the South right now.
http://www.ncsl.org/research/labor-a...nt-update.aspx

Old 08-10-2014, 12:25 AM

7,746 posts, read 6,152,030 times
Not all cities in the south have bigger houses, and lower cost of living. Baltimore and DC are southern rowhouse cities that are more expensive than most of the south. Both cities get a bit a snow as well, though Baltimore gets more than DC.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:53 AM

17,259 posts, read 19,560,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Not all cities in the south have bigger houses, and lower cost of living. Baltimore and DC are southern rowhouse cities that are more expensive than most of the south. Both cities get a bit a snow as well, though Baltimore gets more than DC.
I highly doubt that the OP was referring to the Washington DC area as being part of the south, as it has the 2nd highest COL in the eastern U.S.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:26 AM

3,584 posts, read 2,504,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
Yet market prices aren't higher down south?
And why are northeast prices so high despite everything being astronomically better down south?
Definitely your opinion. One of the major playing factors in pricing is market demand. Higher market demand = higher pricing. There are some things that are indeed better in the south but this would be on a case by case basis. I prefer the mild winters, but hate the wicked hot summers. Housing, gas, food etc are all cheap, but so are wages. Benefits and education and career opportunities are better up north and quality of life is just higher overall.

Quote:
Take a barren northeast dreary January thru May with absolutely nothing to do but hibernate
Live in a tiny home and pay a fortune waiting patiently for a short summer season where everything is jacked up high as it gets because of peak season
It almost appears as though you've never lived in the north :-)

I think most would agree the winters drive you indoors more in the December to March months. I admit I do spend much of my time in the winter indoors... but living in Florida these last 4 years, I do the same during summer.

I love when the snow comes down and I can bundle up in my snow suit and go skiing or sledding or tubing! Yeah I have to clean the driveway first but who cares?

Quote:
Vs year round summer down south, live in gigantic home on golf course and year round access to beach down the street
Gigantic home on golf course LOL!! Where are you from anyway?

The beach gets old and tired real quick... trust me.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:41 AM

6,860 posts, read 7,809,283 times
Quote:
I actually like up north but didn't think there were people like me
You wouldn't know it from your OP.
Quote:
So why would anyone not move south? What would make someone not move south within the US?
Because I never had a day this beautiful in Houston:

(my pic)

Old 08-10-2014, 11:28 AM

1,704 posts, read 2,764,942 times
Quote:
Better year round weather
Hmm, interminable hot muggy summers and tepid brown & grey winters with little to no snow; no thank you, I'll stick with my "crappy northern weather."

(photos mine)

Old 08-10-2014, 11:59 AM

1,107 posts, read 2,708,504 times
I just came back from Georgia this past week and it was awful. I just wanted to stay I inside all day cause of the heat and humidity. Drained my energy. I even had to ask the restaurant to turn the a/c on. My hotel room was muggy with the a/c set at 77 which is what I keep it at home for proper cooling in summer.

I always hear people complain about pay at our offices in the south doing the same job that people do at the office in the north. I guess their must be a big pay difference in salary between north and south.

Overall I would not want to live in the south due to the extreme heat that will force me to stay inside. I can always keep warm in cold by putting on hoodie and hat. Nothing can be done to keep cool when it's warm outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or