U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 01:25 PM

173 posts, read 197,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
Yet market prices aren't higher down south?

In the south....

houses are bigger and cost less

more land,

lower prices on everything and Lower gas prices at the pump

More shopping centers

More space

Better year round weather

More population growth

So why would anyone not move south? What would make someone not move south within the US?

And why are northeast prices so high despite everything being astronomically better down south?

Take a barren northeast dreary January thru May with absolutely nothing to do but hibernate
Live in a tiny home and pay a fortune waiting patiently for a short summer season where everything is jacked up high as it gets because of peak season

Vs year round summer down south, live in gigantic home on golf course and year round access to beach down the street

Yet why are prices higher up north?
I'll tell you why I'm moving out of the south after being here over 15 years:
1. Horrible crime, within the last year I've been robbed at gunpoint once and had a $150 package stolen, my workplace had armed security guards in downtown Birmingham.
2. Ignorance- if you aren't a conservative blue collar individual you won't like it down here.
3. The weather is HORRIBLE. It's been 90+ degrees for 5 months here in the deep south.
4. Not many cultural activities unless you include food festivals
5. People make fun of you for being HEALTHY here...obesity is the norm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 02:02 PM

9,701 posts, read 7,254,190 times
People are much bigger down south. Crime is much bigger down South. Everything else seems smaller, though.

Prices aren't smaller, unless you're comparing to Northeast Corridor.

Incomes are smaller. Homes are smaller. Savings and investments are smaller. Lifespans are smaller.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:41 PM

9,461 posts, read 5,257,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
You wouldn't know it from your OP.

Because I never had a day this beautiful in Houston:

(my pic)
You did not say where this photo is. Well, I know because I live there just like you do now. Philadelphia.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:45 PM

9,461 posts, read 5,257,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwo85 View Post
I just came back from Georgia this past week and it was awful. I just wanted to stay I inside all day cause of the heat and humidity. Drained my energy. I even had to ask the restaurant to turn the a/c on. My hotel room was muggy with the a/c set at 77 which is what I keep it at home for proper cooling in summer.

I always hear people complain about pay at our offices in the south doing the same job that people do at the office in the north. I guess their must be a big pay difference in salary between north and south.

Overall I would not want to live in the south due to the extreme heat that will force me to stay inside. I can always keep warm in cold by putting on hoodie and hat. Nothing can be done to keep cool when it's warm outside.
Just try to imagine it without very much AC! Folks tend to leave out a very vital reason why the Sunbelt grew. Air conditioning.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:33 PM

44,826 posts, read 36,186,607 times
I didn't bother reading all the South bashing on this thread. Life's too short.

I love living in the South, but I admit that the weather is an acquired taste - just as it is further north. In other words, you adjust or you don't, to wherever you live. I happen to adjust easily to any place south of the Mason Dixon line. I don't want snow more than once or twice a year, and I don't want to deal with snow chains - not even for a minute. I love the southern accents, the cuisine, the laid back attitude, the friendliness, the low cost of living, and the un pretentious gentility.

But hey, that's just me.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:06 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,126,475 times
Both regions have their pros and cons, obviously. You just have to take the good with the bad.

From time to time, I have seriously wanted to move to the South, but over the past year or two, my preference has changed. I simply prefer the scenery in the north and the more rugged terrain. I love to go hiking and stuff like that. Summers are absolutely amazing up north. You get 5 months of spectacular weather that typically averages in the 80's. At night it cools down to 60's. There's plenty of sunshine. What's not to like? The combination of northern rugged scenery with warm weather simply cannot be replicated in most areas of the South. Now, with regard to winter, it can be a real pain having to shiver whenever you go outside, but...........it's really not THAT bad, if you have a jacket on. There have been many times where I went to the South during the winter and it was FREEZING anyway.

If it's going to be very cold outside and dead looking trees, you might as well have a nice coat of snow covering the ground, so that you don't see ugly yellow/brown dead grass. The white snow just looks beautiful on everything. And I actually enjoy shoveling snow, as weird as that sounds. Besides, there are times when WEEKS go by with absolutely no snow whatsoever. And there's still plenty of sunshine.

While it is true that people are not laid back in the BosWash Corridor, the rest of the Northeast is pretty laid back, if you simply head about 30 miles away from I-95. Laid-backness isn't a southern thing only. It's more of an urban vs. rural thing. I mean, I've been to the Dallas and Atlanta areas, for example, and they are NOT laid back. They are every bit as rushed as the NYC area, if you ask me!

But, anyway yeah....I do wish summers were a little longer up here. Even just 1 month longer. But our summers are incredible. I mean, last night I was driving in my car and had the heat on (low) for a bit, because it was like 64 degrees.

Plus, I wouldn't want to live anywhere where people would label me as a Yankee. It's rude.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:08 PM

308 posts, read 402,751 times
Nep ain't nobody like shoveling snow

Old 08-10-2014, 09:09 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,126,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakecakecake View Post
I know some people who actually do enjoy it. I sure do. It gives you something to do and it's a good workout.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:12 PM

3,584 posts, read 2,503,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakecakecake View Post
Shoveling snow is a work out... almost has a sense of accomplishment when you're done lol.

I'd rather play in the snow!

Old 08-10-2014, 09:14 PM

308 posts, read 402,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I know some people who actually do enjoy it. I sure do. It gives you something to do and it's a good workout.
That's true. Sometimes my dad gets home from work in the winter and goes and shovels because it allows him to not have to think about anything which I guess can be relaxing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Shoveling snow is a work out... almost has a sense of accomplishment when you're done lol.

I'd rather play in the snow!
It is definitely a workout but I just don't get how people can be in the cold for so long. I don't even like walking the block during the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or