Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 09:24 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times

Advertisements

Just say no to snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 09:28 PM

9,469 posts, read 10,797,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I didn't bother reading all the South bashing on this thread. Life's too short.

I love living in the South, but I admit that the weather is an acquired taste - just as it is further north. In other words, you adjust or you don't, to wherever you live. I happen to adjust easily to any place south of the Mason Dixon line. I don't want snow more than once or twice a year, and I don't want to deal with snow chains - not even for a minute. I love the southern accents, the cuisine, the laid back attitude, the friendliness, the low cost of living, and the un pretentious gentility.

But hey, that's just me.

I like this post, it speaks the simple truth. Everyone has different preference and the weather in the south, and the north as well is an acquired taste. The culture, values and environment are also an acquired taste in any part of the nation. I am a conservative religious person and I live in the south so you can guess I am happy with it. I also enjoy warm weather in March, and I have no major problems with the humidity in the summer. Yes it can be muggy, but if your body is used to it then its not a big deal. Having said all that I used to live in the upper Midwest, and at one time I found enjoyment in the cold climate as well. It is as much of an acquired taste as the southern warmth is. There is no time more beautiful as fall in the far north, the cool crisp air, deer hunting and apple cider mills. My values by far are more of a match for the south, but both regions offer something to those who open themselves up to enjoying the place they are in. Now I wont speak for the northeast as I know nothing of that place.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:38 PM

845 posts, read 2,830,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Everything is bigger and easier down South -- Especially the women...
Yes - Southern women talk with such a slow drawl, that by the time they can say 'DON'T DO THAT' - you already have. !

Old 08-10-2014, 09:43 PM

845 posts, read 2,830,122 times
The university town of Boone, NC is the coldest part of the south, and has heavy snow yearly, and ski resorts (or at least in Gatlinburg TN does).

Old 08-10-2014, 09:54 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,054,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane View Post
Yes - Southern women talk with such a slow drawl, that by the time they can say 'DON'T DO THAT' - you already have. !
They're real good actresses.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:47 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,655,346 times
The West Coast is still an easier place to live than "the North" or "the South." YMMV.

Old 08-11-2014, 05:23 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,306,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakecakecake View Post
Nep ain't nobody like shoveling snow
I actually don't mind shoveling snow at all, unless it's the really heavy, wet kind. Usually, though, at least where I live where we aren't in the snow belt where the lake effect snow falls, it's light and powdery. It's often gorgeously sunny the day after a snowfall, and to be out there, breathing the fresh, cold air, getting a nice workout, and seeing the driveway slowly cleared is strangely relaxing and rewarding. What I don't enjoy is having to do yard work in miserably hot, humid, weather, but the weeds have to be pulled and the grass has to be cut. I just don't like that sticky, "sweat dripping off of my face" feeling.

I used to think I would want to live somewhere with no snow, but now I realize that I couldn't, that I would miss it too much. I can't imagine Thanksgiving in hot, balmy weather, and I especially can't imagine Christmas without at least moderately cold weather, preferably with snow. That would be too weird, when I and everyone I know has always lived in this climate and have acclimated. It's home and it's our normal.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:12 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,940,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
The West Coast is still an easier place to live than "the North" or "the South." YMMV.
From a pure living perspective, you're probably right. But in reality, the places out West that have a strong job market are extremely expensive (SF/SJ, LA, Seattle), making life much more difficult than it needs to be. Out West, the places that are strong with jobs (in my field anyway) and have a reasonable cost of living would be Denver and SLC. But Denver people/culture is weird and the area is very congested, and SLC is surrounded by severe Mormonism (even though I loved SLC).

The average American cannot afford to live on the coastal West coast without making serious sacrifices.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:50 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
I don't mind the weather in the South generally. I prefer warmer winters (last winter we had numerous mornings with temps below 0 in TN), which is one reason I am looking at FL. I hate snow and love swimming and boating. I'm also politically conservative on most issues.

The biggest problem with the South is the labor market. Many fields just don't exist as they do in the northeast. The northeast has had a much longer headstart on quality employment and urbanization than the South has had. That advantage persists today. What employment there is often pays considerably less than the northeast or coastal west, even adjusted for cost of living.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:21 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakecakecake View Post
Nep ain't nobody like shoveling snow
That's why you pay your yard worker to do it for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.