U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 08:25 AM

9,461 posts, read 5,257,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I didn't bother reading all the South bashing on this thread. Life's too short.

I love living in the South, but I admit that the weather is an acquired taste - just as it is further north. In other words, you adjust or you don't, to wherever you live. I happen to adjust easily to any place south of the Mason Dixon line. I don't want snow more than once or twice a year, and I don't want to deal with snow chains - not even for a minute. I love the southern accents, the cuisine, the laid back attitude, the friendliness, the low cost of living, and the un pretentious gentility.

But hey, that's just me.
Be honest. Do you seriously think you could handle southern summer weather without air conditioning?

Well, of course, people did decades ago. But could they now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 08:28 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,398,911 times
Quote:
I didn't bother reading all the South bashing on this thread. Life's too short.

I love living in the South, but I admit that the weather is an acquired taste - just as it is further north. In other words, you adjust or you don't, to wherever you live. I happen to adjust easily to any place south of the Mason Dixon line. I don't want snow more than once or twice a year, and I don't want to deal with snow chains - not even for a minute. I love the southern accents, the cuisine, the laid back attitude, the friendliness, the low cost of living, and the un pretentious gentility.

But hey, that's just me.
LOL, me neither - nor does anyone else up here, because I haven't seen "snow chains" in like 40 years! I've driven through the northwoods in blizzards dozens of times over the years, and have never once used "snow chains."

The misinformation and ignorance on here is sometimes absolutely shocking. And yes, lots of people like shovelling. I often shovel for neighbors if I'm out there anyway, but I have a couple neighbors who LOVE doing it. You guys know what a snowblower is, right? That's what most people use if they have anything bigger than a short walk and it snows more than a couple inches. And just like with riding lawnmowers or any other kind of lawn equipment, lots of dudes really enjoy firing up the toys and using them.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Be honest. Do you seriously think you could handle southern summer weather without air conditioning?

Nah - most people go from air conditioning to air conditioning to air conditioning during those months. Without air conditioning, we never would have seen the southern boom.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:57 AM

1,704 posts, read 2,763,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
LOL, me neither - nor does anyone else up here, because I haven't seen "snow chains" in like 40 years! I've driven through the northwoods in blizzards dozens of times over the years, and have never once used "snow chains."

The misinformation and ignorance on here is sometimes absolutely shocking. And yes, lots of people like shovelling. I often shovel for neighbors if I'm out there anyway, but I have a couple neighbors who LOVE doing it. You guys know what a snowblower is, right? That's what most people use if they have anything bigger than a short walk and it snows more than a couple inches. And just like with riding lawnmowers or any other kind of lawn equipment, lots of dudes really enjoy firing up the toys and using them.
Yeah I was just gonna say, I hardly know anyone (who has a driveway/sidewalks) who DOESN'T own a snowblower. Clearing snow is easier, faster, and less frequent than mowing the lawn - which, reminder, we don't have to do during the winter.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
Yeah I was just gonna say, I hardly know anyone (who has a driveway/sidewalks) who DOESN'T own a snowblower. Clearing snow is easier, faster, and less frequent than mowing the lawn - which, reminder, we don't have to do during the winter.
Exactly. The southern picture of us breaking our backs shovelling buckets of snow every day is so ridiculous I can't even...there's significant snow a handful of times every winter, and then people break out the snowblowers, which make short work of it. It's not exactly hard work clearing off an inch or two of dry snow for the times when you don't need the snowblower.

And seriously...does anyone in the Midwest who posts on here currently use "snow chains?" Haha...

Old 08-11-2014, 11:01 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,049,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
From a pure living perspective, you're probably right. But in reality, the places out West that have a strong job market are extremely expensive (SF/SJ, LA, Seattle), making life much more difficult than it needs to be. Out West, the places that are strong with jobs (in my field anyway) and have a reasonable cost of living would be Denver and SLC. But Denver people/culture is weird and the area is very congested, and SLC is surrounded by severe Mormonism (even though I loved SLC).

The average American cannot afford to live on the coastal West coast without making serious sacrifices.
You lack the ambition, drive, imagination, entrepreneurial spirit, positive energy, and competitive nature to be successful from a career standpoint and, in turn, live well on the West Coast.

Don't paint with such a broad brush.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:45 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,289,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
From a pure living perspective, you're probably right. But in reality, the places out West that have a strong job market are extremely expensive (SF/SJ, LA, Seattle), making life much more difficult than it needs to be. Out West, the places that are strong with jobs (in my field anyway) and have a reasonable cost of living would be Denver and SLC. But Denver people/culture is weird and the area is very congested, and SLC is surrounded by severe Mormonism (even though I loved SLC).

The average American cannot afford to live on the coastal West coast without making serious sacrifices.
What's weird about people in Denver? I moved here from L.A. and culture seems the same to me.

Houses in the South are generally much bigger, and on bigger lots, but bigger isn't always better. Then you have more to maintain, and a bigger A/C bill.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:59 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,821,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post

Another question would be: Could all the Northern transplants that are down south handle the heat without air conditioning?

Old 08-11-2014, 12:12 PM

11,172 posts, read 22,378,103 times
Quote:
Just say no to snow.
Maybe for you, I personally LOVE snow, and most of my friends instantly get very excited when there's a snowstorm coming, not upset.

It's all personal opinion. I remember friends who were away on travel and missed our huge blizzard back in 2011 and were nearly devestated that they weren't able to experience it and be out playing like we were.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:20 PM

11,172 posts, read 22,378,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Exactly. The southern picture of us breaking our backs shovelling buckets of snow every day is so ridiculous I can't even...there's significant snow a handful of times every winter, and then people break out the snowblowers, which make short work of it. It's not exactly hard work clearing off an inch or two of dry snow for the times when you don't need the snowblower.

And seriously...does anyone in the Midwest who posts on here currently use "snow chains?" Haha...
I'm 35 years old and have lived in the upper midwest my entire life. I dont' think I've ever actually seen snow tires. Do people use them? For some reason I thought outside of the mountains they were illegal to drive around with because they damage the roads. Of course they're not needed/used anyway, or at least haven't been in many many decades.

I laugh too when I hear people who aren't familiar with the north saying things like "waking up every morning to shovel the driveway", etc. Like it snows enough to shovel more than maybe 3-4 times a season anyway, and obviously a huge % of people up north just use snowblowers anyway.

The only people I ever see shoveling are maybe those who have a very tiny walk or a little area to clear. Snowblowers are extremely fast and easy, and pretty cheap as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or