Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 01:38 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,753,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
You lack the ambition, drive, imagination, entrepreneurial spirit, positive energy, and competitive nature to be successful from a career standpoint and, in turn, live well on the West Coast.

Don't paint with such a broad brush.
The Californian in me agrees with you to a degree.

The Southerner in me thinks that saying comments like this so bluntly helps fuel the fire for people outside of California (and the West Coast) to dislike us.

Some things are better left unsaid, or at least more diplomatically and less "elitistly" said.

And for the record, I miss the laid back, easy-going nature of the South from time to time. People in all major California cities--L.A., O.C., I.E., S.D., Sacto., and the Bay Area--wouldn't know what "laid back" means or is if it bit them on their butts.

Signed,
A Southern transplant to California
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 01:40 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,370,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
Yet market prices aren't higher down south?
Because the incomes suck. Market prices are driven by demand.

Quote:
In the south....

houses are bigger and cost less

more land,

lower prices on everything and Lower gas prices at the pump
Who cares? Incomes are lower.

Quote:
More shopping centers
Strip plazas with acres of asphalt parking lots? No thanks.

Quote:
More space
Some people like convenience over "space."

Quote:
Better year round weather
Not at all. The Southeastern US has horrific weather. The winters are still cold, but just warm enough to receive the constant slushy freeze-thaw junk that everyone looooooooooves . We have white powdery snow up north. Don't get me started on June-August, where going outside is a chore and humidity creeps into the night where it is hard to sleep.

Quote:
More population growth
Boom / bust.

Quote:
So why would anyone not move south? What would make someone not move south within the US?
High paying jobs, family, preferences. You know...

Quote:
And why are northeast prices so high despite everything being astronomically better down south?
Demand is more important than your opinion. Prices are high because of supply and demand. Most people live in the North, therefore prices are higher.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:41 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,836,869 times
The older I get, the MORE I appreciate and love snow. It just makes life more interesting. The seasons represent a change in mood and energy. Also, I think living in the north is better for the elderly, because they are less likely to suffer from heat stroke. My grandparents are 78 and 80, here in CT and the are doing totally fine. They are retired, so there's no NEED to remove snow from the driveway, because they don't have to go to work anymore.

Also, I have never seen or heard of anyone up here having to use chains on their tires. Wtf? Lol. Never.

Whenever there's a snowstorm watch, it's exciting IMO. And you get to come into work late, leave work early, work from home, etc. Employers are flexible with snowstorms. Kids get days off from school, which is exciting to them, too.

I've always lived in an apartment complex, so I never have to shovel snow, other than the snow that surrounds my car. But I enjoy it. Most people have a snow blower, however, especially if they have a bigger driveway.

So yeah, southerners' perception of snow is just overblown. It ain't that bad. It's now August and I'm actually looking forward to the upcoming winter season. My friend in Charlotte recently experienced a significant snowstorm there this past winter. He said to me, "hey....this really isn't that big of a deal...I think I can handle it."

And btw, snow just looks pretty, after a fresh snowfall.

Also, places like Buffalo, Syracuse and Rochester, NY have the best snow removal programs in the country. So it's a non-issue. I mean, it's better than dealing with a tornado or earthquake, which have a bigger chance of killing you.

So I mean, people like KathrynAragon are sort of misinformed, but I'm trying to keep being nice to her, because she's a nice lady.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:45 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,370,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakecakecake View Post
It is definitely a workout but I just don't get how people can be in the cold for so long. I don't even like walking the block during the winter.
I run and bike all winter. It is easier to exercise in cool / cold weather than warm weather. Your body produces a lot of heat.

As far as cold, you can always just put more clothes / jackets / sweaters on.

The air feels so much crisper and cleaner to me. I don't know if it is less humidty or all the cyclists / buses / transit users keeping our highways from being ram-packed like Atlanta / Charlotte.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:52 PM

10,071 posts, read 9,851,415 times
Some places in the south get just as cold and snowy as the north. Maryland get a lot of snow.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:03 PM

The only place in the South that you can truly get away from cold is Florida. But then, the summers suck!

Old 08-11-2014, 06:09 PM

16,345 posts, read 17,950,202 times
[quote]
Quote:

In the south....

Link?

Quote:
more land,
More land what??

Quote:
Link?

Quote:
More shopping centers
Link?

Quote:
More space
For what?

Quote:
Based on what subject criteria?

Quote:
More population growth
Than who?

Quote:
So why would anyone not move south? What would make someone not move south
within the US?
Because people value different things and there are plenty of positives to other regions as well?

Quote:
And why are northeast prices so high despite everything being astronomically
better down south?
So are you looking for honest answers, or do you work for a Southern tourism board? Because you can't be serious with these loaded questions.

Quote:
Take a barren northeast dreary January thru May with absolutely nothing to do
but hibernate Live in a tiny home and pay a fortune waiting patiently for a short summer
season where everything is jacked up high as it gets because of peak season
Maybe the real question is why were you so boring that you couldn't figure out anything to do for 5 months but stay inside?

Quote:
Vs year round summer down south, live in gigantic home on golf course and year
round access to beach down the street
You have to be trolling, right?

Quote:
Yet why are prices higher up north?
To give people the unfortunate motivation to start threads like this?

Old 08-11-2014, 07:27 PM

76 posts, read 151,053 times
Quote:

In the south....

more land,

More shopping centers

More space

More population growth

So why would anyone not move south? What would make someone not move south within the US?

And why are northeast prices so high despite everything being astronomically better down south?

Take a barren northeast dreary January thru May with absolutely nothing to do but hibernate
Live in a tiny home and pay a fortune waiting patiently for a short summer season where everything is jacked up high as it gets because of peak season

Vs year round summer down south, live in gigantic home on golf course and year round access to beach down the street

Yet why are prices higher up north?
why is Hong Kong doing better than mainland China? it's called the free market. look at the tax policies and government interference in the northeasten vs southeastern states. and more people are moving to the south. Florida and Georgia are two of the fastest if not the fastest growing states in the country. New York for example is losing population and businesses every year

Old 08-11-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth33 View Post
why is Hong Kong doing better than mainland China? it's called the free market. look at the tax policies and government interference in the northeasten vs southeastern states. and more people are moving to the south. Florida and Georgia are two of the fastest if not the fastest growing states in the country. New York for example is losing population and businesses every year
Boston and San Francisco are located in high tax and high regulation states, but they're booming with jobs more than anywhere in Georgia and Florida as we speak. Economic booms generally have more to do with the availability of talent and resources than tax policy.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:26 PM

76 posts, read 151,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Boston and San Francisco are located in high tax and high regulation states, but they're booming with jobs more than anywhere in Georgia and Florida as we speak. Economic booms generally have more to do with the availability of talent and resources than tax policy.
I agree with you that talent and especially resources are integral as well, but there's no doubt that lower taxes and cost of living overall is much more attractive for job seekers and businesses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.