Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2014, 07:33 PM

93,236 posts, read 123,842,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth33 View Post
why is Hong Kong doing better than mainland China? it's called the free market. look at the tax policies and government interference in the northeasten vs southeastern states. and more people are moving to the south. Florida and Georgia are two of the fastest if not the fastest growing states in the country. New York for example is losing population and businesses every year
NY State has only lost population in 1 census. Yes, NY is a unique case in terms of population growth, but that is the reality still.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 10:25 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,940,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
NY State has only lost population in 1 census. Yes, NY is a unique case in terms of population growth, but that is the reality still.
Not to mention, NYC is still growing at a respectable rate. On some years, it adds a whopping 100,000 in population. There are initiatives in place to attract 1 million MORE people over the next 10 years. It will always be the top tier world class American city, and nothing else in the U.S. will even come close to replacing it.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:28 PM

623 posts, read 957,799 times
I spent the first 32 years of my life in the South. If a place is cheap to live, there's a good reason. If it were highly desirable, prices would rise.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:39 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,940,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by takuriver View Post
I spent the first 32 years of my life in the South. If a place is cheap to live, there's a good reason. If it were highly desirable, prices would rise.
Maybe, maybe not. I think the reason why the coastal Northeast is so expensive is simply because of limited space and a growing population. To some, it might be desirable, but to others not so much. Same thing with coastal metropolitan California.

However, it's only a matter of time before the South DOES become expensive. Look at Raleigh and Houston. They're no longer cheap places to live. A median home value is now over $200K in Raleigh, and Houston home values are rapidly rising. The same thing happened with Southeast Florida, which also used to be cheap. Now it isn't. California used to be cheap, believe it or not. Now its the most expensive place to live in the U.S. overall. Even the Phoenix metro area is starting to show signs of becoming a little more pricey.

There are still MANY places in the Northeast that are quite affordable, such as central Connecticut, most of PA, south Jersey, western MA, parts of Maine, and all of upstate and central/western NY (i.e. Buffalo, Rochester, Albany, etc). The only really expensive areas are the NYC region, Boston region and to a lesser extent, the Philly region. Other than those three areas, the rest of the Northeast is totally affordable, just as much as the South, if not even more affordable.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:00 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,054,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Maybe, maybe not. I think the reason why the coastal Northeast is so expensive is simply because of limited space and a growing population. To some, it might be desirable, but to others not so much. Same thing with coastal metropolitan California.

However, it's only a matter of time before the South DOES become expensive. Look at Raleigh and Houston. They're no longer cheap places to live. A median home value is now over $200K in Raleigh, and Houston home values are rapidly rising. The same thing happened with Southeast Florida, which also used to be cheap. Now it isn't. California used to be cheap, believe it or not. Now its the most expensive place to live in the U.S. overall. Even the Phoenix metro area is starting to show signs of becoming a little more pricey.

There are still MANY places in the Northeast that are quite affordable, such as central Connecticut, most of PA, south Jersey, western MA, parts of Maine, and all of upstate and central/western NY (i.e. Buffalo, Rochester, Albany, etc). The only really expensive areas are the NYC region, Boston region and to a lesser extent, the Philly region. Other than those three areas, the rest of the Northeast is totally affordable, just as much as the South, if not even more affordable.
I think the whole United States will become an expensive place to live in.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:15 PM

870 posts, read 1,568,665 times
I do not have the exact link, but I read that incomes in the southern states are among the lowest, but when adjusted for cost of living, most southern states are in the middle range with the remaining in the lower range. Virginia is in the top 10 I believe. The poorest state is Maine when factoring in cost of living and income.

I know that the Pittsburgh area is relatively inexpensive compared to other areas in the northeast, but the cost of living is increasing and it's not really keeping up with income. For professional jobs, the Pittsburgh area pays relatively low.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:43 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,340,486 times
The South thrives on being cheaper. The land is cheaper because theres less demand, mostly due to less population density. The construction is cheaper because they value cheap labor and take more shortcuts when building things. They also spend less on infrastructure, healthcare, etc. But mainly its just simple supply and demand.

The northeast is way denser in population so demand for land is higher. Their wages and standard of living are higher so it costs more to get things built. Visit California and it'll become obvious to you why land costs so much there. Amazing weather and beautiful scenery. If it were cheap as flat land in Texas then everybody would move there You definitely pay for it.

Old 08-12-2014, 04:38 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,888,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Not to mention, NYC is still growing at a respectable rate. On some years, it adds a whopping 100,000 in population. There are initiatives in place to attract 1 million MORE people over the next 10 years. It will always be the top tier world class American city, and nothing else in the U.S. will even come close to replacing it.
On the other hand, look at the type of people (poor) NYC and America is attracting. We have states with more people on welfare than are employed. The same can be said of the bigger cities. Yes, there are a couple thriving neighborhoods but the rest are dumps.

Old 08-12-2014, 06:47 AM

93,236 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
On the other hand, look at the type of people (poor) NYC and America is attracting. We have states with more people on welfare than are employed. The same can be said of the bigger cities. Yes, there are a couple thriving neighborhoods but the rest are dumps.
What states have more people on welfare than employed?

American cities, in general, have good and bad neighborhoods to varying degrees. What makes it tough to compare is that you cities that can annex unincorporated areas into city limits, while others can't due to laws where all towns/villages/cities are incorporated. So, it can be tough to make tit for tat comparisons of cities when the creation of cities in terms of land size and character varies so much.

To put the differences into perspective, Greenville SC is 1 sq mile bigger than Syracuse in terms of land size, but has about 2-2 and a half times less people. It essentially has the city population of Utica NY, a city that is almost 10 square miles smaller, in a city land footprint similar to Syracuse. Sometimes when comparing cities, you may have to consider things on the grounds of the land size of each city. Meaning, you may have to include first ring suburbs with a Northeastern city or look at a Southern city based on the city limits of the Northern city you compare it with.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-12-2014 at 07:22 AM..

Old 08-12-2014, 07:12 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,338,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What states have more people on welfare than employed?
I tried finding a list of these states and came up with a claimed 11 states that had more welfare recipients than workers. I also found a Politifact article that debunks this claim.

So I'm not sure I have the answer to that question. The answer is probably very few or none!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.