Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2015, 08:56 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,955,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
Yet market prices aren't higher down south?

In the south....

houses are bigger and cost less

more land,

lower prices on everything and Lower gas prices at the pump

More shopping centers

More space

Better year round weather

More population growth

So why would anyone not move south? What would make someone not move south within the US?

And why are northeast prices so high despite everything being astronomically better down south?

Take a barren northeast dreary January thru May with absolutely nothing to do but hibernate
Live in a tiny home and pay a fortune waiting patiently for a short summer season where everything is jacked up high as it gets because of peak season

Vs year round summer down south, live in gigantic home on golf course and year round access to beach down the street

Yet why are prices higher up north?
Incomes are lower down south, education worse and poverty is high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 09:06 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
Yet market prices aren't higher down south?

In the south....

houses are bigger and cost less

more land,

lower prices on everything and Lower gas prices at the pump

More shopping centers

More space

Better year round weather

More population growth

So why would anyone not move south? What would make someone not move south within the US?

And why are northeast prices so high despite everything being astronomically better down south?

Take a barren northeast dreary January thru May with absolutely nothing to do but hibernate
Live in a tiny home and pay a fortune waiting patiently for a short summer season where everything is jacked up high as it gets because of peak season

Vs year round summer down south, live in gigantic home on golf course and year round access to beach down the street

Yet why are prices higher up north?
Lol "year round summer down south". That is so untrue. Maybe at the very bottom of Florida. But there are vast swaths of the South that get almost as cold as Philadelphia in winter. I've been there. I was in Jackson, MS a few times in winter, and tbh, the trees are leafless, the grass brown, and the landscape barren. And it certainly isn't warm. And they do get snow on occasion as well. The South has a crap subtropical climate: cold in winter, and interminably humid and hot in summer. Far better winter subtropical climates in other countries or the US Southwest.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:40 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,328,241 times
[quote=PCALMike;40493133]Incomes are lower down south, education worse and poverty is high.[/QUOT

?? Maryland Virginia and DC are always at the top of every poll for
Wealthiest and highest education levels. North carolina has 2 of top 3 in most educated cities in the US

Old 07-21-2015, 10:45 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,328,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Lol "year round summer down south". That is so untrue. Maybe at the very bottom of Florida. But there are vast swaths of the South that get almost as cold as Philadelphia in winter. I've been there. I was in Jackson, MS a few times in winter, and tbh, the trees are leafless, the grass brown, and the landscape barren. And it certainly isn't warm. And they do get snow on occasion as well. The South has a crap subtropical climate: cold in winter, and interminably humid and hot in summer. Far better winter subtropical climates in other countries or the US Southwest.
I don't know any southern states in southeast with winters like Philly except for for Maryland but the Washington DC and midatlatic have a much nicer day today, it will be 88 and low humidity where I am in DC today. Blazing hot in most other southeast states

Old 07-22-2015, 07:06 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbern100 View Post
I don't know any southern states in southeast with winters like Philly except for for Maryland but the Washington DC and midatlatic have a much nicer day today, it will be 88 and low humidity where I am in DC today. Blazing hot in most other southeast states

I said "almost as cold". The South is no subtropical paradise except way down into FL.

Have you ever been to Huntsville, AL in winter? It ain't warm, trust me. How bout Tupelo, MS. It's cold in winter. Same for Little Rock, AR and western SC, NC, etc. The South is barely subtropical and mostly qualifies because of summer. But the winters there stink: 65F one day, and then 30F the next. And they get low temp in the teens and single digits. Just look at the last two winters. And it looks just as barren as lifeless in winter as here. Except at least around here with our cooler season grasses, the grass is more green in winter than the brown hay you see on lawns and highway medians down there.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:36 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,836,586 times
Quote:
I said "almost as cold". The South is no subtropical paradise except way down into FL.

Have you ever been to Huntsville, AL in winter? It ain't warm, trust me. How bout Tupelo, MS. It's cold in winter. Same for Little Rock, AR and western SC, NC, etc. The South is barely subtropical and mostly qualifies because of summer. But the winters there stink: 65F one day, and then 30F the next. And they get low temp in the teens and single digits. Just look at the last two winters. And it looks just as barren as lifeless in winter as here. Except at least around here with our cooler season grasses, the grass is more green in winter than the brown hay you see on lawns and highway medians down there.

Except for leafless trees, everything stays pretty green year-round in Tennessee. Yes, it gets winter-like temps for a day here and there, but it certainly sees more sun in the winter than does the Great Lakes region, overall, on either the Canadian or US side. And for some of us, sunshine is a necessity.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:38 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,836,586 times
Quote:
The South has a crap subtropical climate: cold in winter, and interminably humid and hot in summer.
Pretty much describes the winter and summer climates in SE Michigan and Southern Ontario. I honestly don't find the summer humidity in TN to be much worse than it is in Detroit or Toronto.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:26 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,526,031 times
That's because you're trying to make it seem that way to justify your new locale. A summer in Southern Ontario is much different than a southern summer - not even close. Humidity, heat differential, and angle of the sun make it much more torturous.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:33 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:

Basically you're singling out Appalachia and environs which is a different than the coastal plain areas in terms of weather. That said, it can get cold in the coastal plain areas in the winter too, but you're much less likely to have a bunch of snow and ice to deal with.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:43 AM

977 posts, read 566,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post

Charlotte is high up in the mountains of the South

According to Wikipedia the elevation of Charlotte is 751 ft. That is hardly "high up in the mountains". An elevation of 751 ft would have little effect on climate. The inland location of Charlotte would be much more important in terms of climate than the 751 ft elevation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.