U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2014, 04:42 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,663,373 times

Advertisements

Yet market prices aren't higher down south?

In the south....

houses are bigger and cost less

more land,

lower prices on everything and Lower gas prices at the pump

More shopping centers

More space

Better year round weather

More population growth

So why would anyone not move south? What would make someone not move south within the US?

And why are northeast prices so high despite everything being astronomically better down south?

Take a barren northeast dreary January thru May with absolutely nothing to do but hibernate
Live in a tiny home and pay a fortune waiting patiently for a short summer season where everything is jacked up high as it gets because of peak season

Vs year round summer down south, live in gigantic home on golf course and year round access to beach down the street

Yet why are prices higher up north?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 04:44 PM

9,423 posts, read 18,320,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post

more land,

More shopping centers

More space

More population growth

So why would anyone not move south? What would make someone not move south within the US?
It doesn't require a lot of thought to understand that not everyone likes the same things you do and that much of what you have listed is subjective in favorable terms and questionable to many.

Old 08-09-2014, 04:45 PM

421 posts, read 467,315 times
I live in the south. Its not a utopia. Grass is always greener on the other side.

Old 08-09-2014, 04:54 PM

3,144 posts, read 2,825,934 times
Look at housing in the big cities of the South. Housing in the North is mostly equal to or cheaper than the South. Besides, none of us want the heat and humidity of the South. I would take another winter like the last one over a summer in the South. And don't say the Southern Apps don't get the humidity. They do. I lived there.

Old 08-09-2014, 04:56 PM

14,967 posts, read 31,357,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Look at housing in the big cities of the South. Housing in the North is mostly equal to or cheaper than the South. Besides, none of us want the heat and humidity of the South. I would take another winter like the last one over a summer in the South. And don't say the Southern Apps don't get the humidity. They do. I lived there.
Yeah I think there's parts of the Midwest where real estate is cheaper than the South.

Old 08-09-2014, 04:59 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,610,447 times
Quote:
Why is everything bigger and easier down south than snowbelt?
Especially the women...

Old 08-09-2014, 05:09 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,420,095 times
Quote:

In the south....

more land,

More shopping centers

More space

More population growth

And why are northeast prices so high despite everything being astronomically better down south?

Take a barren northeast dreary January thru May with absolutely nothing to do but hibernate
Live in a tiny home and pay a fortune waiting patiently for a short summer season where everything is jacked up high as it gets because of peak season

Vs year round summer down south, live in gigantic home on golf course and year round access to beach down the street

Yet why are prices higher up north?
100% your opinion.

January through May? Seriously. Try December through March, which are often cold and barren looking in much of the South too. This past February we spent a night in Marietta, Georgia on the way to visit family in Florida and woke up to 23 degrees. The trees were bare, the grass was brown...just like at home. The only part of the South that stays nice and remotely green year round is the extreme southern tier, and those places are abnormally miserable in the summertime. Sweaty, humid summers that seem to go on forever where the heat index on a 90 degree day will often be well into the low 100s is not paradise to a lot of people.

Some of us actually enjoy snow. I just got home from an outdoor arts festival here in Michigan, temp 85 degrees, pretty humid, and the sun beating down. I happened to see a painting of a snowy country barn scene and I thought, "Yep, that's why I love it here so much. Because we get such a variation in weather, never a dull moment." I could never live somewhere that didn't have at least some snow. It's pretty!

We don't live in a tiny home with a tiny yard at all. Prices where I live are at least as reasonable as most parts of the South. We have a seven year old house with 2,000 square feet, a three car garage, crown molding and intricate woodwork throughout, a fireplace, and granite countertops, all for around $200,000. Not too bad, right?

And more population growth is a good thing to you? Yikes! That is one of the main reasons why I couldn't live somewhere like Atlanta or Florida for anything. Right now my commute to work is roughly twenty miles, almost all expressway, and it takes me about 25 minutes. If I lived in the suburbs north of Atlanta, I would probably be looking at minimum of an hour, probably longer. Orlando is just about as bad. Sorry, but part of having a good quality of life for me is having more of my time to use as I see fit. Sitting in a car when I could be relaxing at home with my family is not my idea of quality of life.

See, I have nothing against the South. We actually own a condo in coastal South Carolina where we spend a couple of weeks a year and rent out to vacationers the rest of the year. The South does have many nice places and things to see. However, just because someone chooses not to live there does not mean that there is something wrong with them or that they are stupid or crazy. It means that they prefer something else.

Last edited by canudigit; 08-09-2014 at 06:24 PM..

Old 08-09-2014, 05:14 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,663,373 times
I actually like up north but didn't think there were people like me

Old 08-09-2014, 05:32 PM

17,234 posts, read 19,531,226 times
Quote:

In the south....

more land,

More shopping centers

More space

More population growth

The northeast is more densely populated and has more urban amenities, public transportation options, high-paying jobs for more highly educated people and such.

Therefore, market demand pushes real estate prices up.

Old 08-09-2014, 05:41 PM

56,551 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Yeah I think there's parts of the Midwest where real estate is cheaper than the South.
As are prices in the Interior Northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or