U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 06:45 PM

8 posts, read 7,265 times

Advertisements

So i am trying to decide whether i want to move to TN or AR. Work is not a problem as i work offshore in the gulf of mexico. Me and my wife want to move to the mountains and where it snows, we currently live by the beach in biloxi MS. The only issue i have is i do not want to far of a drive cause my daughter lives in louisiana and i would have to pick her up and bring her back home with her mother each time i get off work. I can handle about an 8 hr drive any thing more is a little much. Chattanooga seems to be a good area about a 8 hr drive but what is the climate like? We love snow so want it to snow and we like mountains and a good scenery. Is their any other towns like that but snows more? Arkansas is nice to but we want to go to which ever state has a cooler climate and has more snow in winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 06:52 PM

72,254 posts, read 83,964,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hebert90 View Post
So i am trying to decide whether i want to move to TN or AR. Work is not a problem as i work offshore in the gulf of mexico. Me and my wife want to move to the mountains and where it snows, we currently live by the beach in biloxi MS. The only issue i have is i do not want to far of a drive cause my daughter lives in louisiana and i would have to pick her up and bring her back home with her mother each time i get off work. I can handle about an 8 hr drive any thing more is a little much. Chattanooga seems to be a good area about a 8 hr drive but what is the climate like? We love snow so want it to snow and we like mountains and a good scenery. Is their any other towns like that but snows more? Arkansas is nice to but we want to go to which ever state has a cooler climate and has more snow in winter.
wow, you really haven't done much research have you? There is probably a lot more snow here in the mountains than in TN. Summer is similar and we have more mountains. The pros for TN, no state income taxes but property taxes are higher. Both states are wonderful, but if you like winter, NWA would be a better choice.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:16 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,769,562 times
More mountains than Tennessee? Percentage-wise, Tennessee probably has more mountains/hills than Arkansas. At the very least, about the same. It doesn't have nearly as much delta.
The Smokey's are substantially bigger and more dramatic than anything in Arkansas. The Ozarks aren't ugly, and are pleasant to look at in some areas, but not quite the same as Appalachia.
Nevertheless, the lifestyle experience would likely be similar.
The climates are also very similar, and neither have much in the way of snow. Some parts of Tennessee might average 15 inches a year. Chattanooga: 3.9. Bristol, TN, 13. Fayetteville, AR: 4.3. Bentonville, AR: 9.2 inches a year. Eureka Springs: 13 or so.
About the same for both states.
Neither are snow-belt territory. More than the Gulf, of course.
The northwest part of Arkansas will be better in the crime department over Chattanooga. That might tip the scales for some.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:47 PM

10,624 posts, read 14,417,746 times
TN has a unique way of reporting crime so interested parties should do some in depth research instead of using simple state or city comparison charts.
TN also has a very low overall tax burden in spite of the high sales tax.
Property tax varies quite a bit from county to county and by city, so a comparison by area might be useful.
Tennessee Property Taxes By County - 2014

Old 08-10-2014, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
TN has a unique way of reporting crime so interested parties should do some in depth research instead of using simple state or city comparison charts.
TN also has a very low overall tax burden in spite of the high sales tax.
Property tax varies quite a bit from county to county and by city, so a comparison by area might be useful.
Tennessee Property Taxes By County - 2014
you have it right. using stats and charts means absolutely nothing. I am always shocked when people try to prove a point by using averages or charts, etc.

We considered both state btw, when we decided to retire in the south. We absolutely loved TN but we felt, for us NWA would be a better bet. The property costs, if nothing else were lower here, than in the cities we were interested in.

The best thing for the OP is to actually visit both states, inquire about housing and the job market, if his wife is planning on working; narrow their search down to a couple of areas, then do lengthy research and ask questions.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:39 AM

5,597 posts, read 8,954,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
wow, you really haven't done much research have you? There is probably a lot more snow here in the mountains than in TN. Summer is similar and we have more mountains. The pros for TN, no state income taxes but property taxes are higher. Both states are wonderful, but if you like winter, NWA would be a better choice.
Property taxes are not high in Tennessee (depending on the county). The way we fund government is through sales tax which IS high and applies to everything including food. In my county I pay 360.00 per year in property tax on a place that is appraised at 80,000.00. I pay 9.75% on all purchases including food.

The sales tax is what gets you here.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:32 AM

124 posts, read 142,695 times
For retired folks, TN does unfortunately have a dividends (called the Hall Tax) tax which can be substantial on some investments, I know several people that have changed official residence to Florida, and keep meticulous records to avoid tax problems. Retired in Arkansas, pension (excluding Social Security) would be taxable income for most. As stated above, property taxes can vary by large amounts, however my experience (applicable to both states) is that low rural property taxes will likely be offset but much higher property insurance (think volunteer fire departments versus full time municipal fire protection). General living expenses, such as food, utilites, vehicle insurance, etc appear higher in Arkansas, again dependent on rural versus urban. Another example, I find sales tax almost equal in Memphis, TN versus West Memphis, AR (across the Miss River).

As far as distances, Chattanooga west to Memphis is close to 350 miles, Memphis to New Orleans is about 400.

Last edited by edmiii; 08-10-2014 at 09:34 AM.. Reason: add information

Old 08-10-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Property taxes are not high in Tennessee (depending on the county). The way we fund government is through sales tax which IS high and applies to everything including food. In my county I pay 360.00 per year in property tax on a place that is appraised at 80,000.00. I pay 9.75% on all purchases including food.

The sales tax is what gets you here.
I am basing the property tax rate on what we found when we were house hunting before moving to AR. They were considerably higher than either NM or AR. And yes, sales taxes are high, but they are high here as well, just not as high as TN.

Old 08-10-2014, 02:32 PM

124 posts, read 142,695 times
Depends on how much local option sales tax.
For instance in West Memphis Ark
Food - 4.75%
non-food, other than alcohol 9.75%
alcohol - 10.75%
(additional increase next month of 1%, (at least to non-food, not sure about food) due to local referendum to fund West Memphis hospital).

Memphis Tenn
Food - 7.25%
Non-food 9.25%

Most of the Memphis suburbs are 7.75/9.75 due to increases in local option. Referendum in Memphis was voted down.

Wartrace is wrong on food - at least at a grocery store. Fast food and restaurant is taxed at the full state + local rate.
Local (city/county combined) is capped at 2.75%, so 9.75 is maximum for non-food, 7.75 maximum on food.

Last edited by edmiii; 08-10-2014 at 02:44 PM.. Reason: add

Old 08-11-2014, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmiii View Post
Depends on how much local option sales tax.
For instance in West Memphis Ark
Food - 4.75%
non-food, other than alcohol 9.75%
alcohol - 10.75%
(additional increase next month of 1%, (at least to non-food, not sure about food) due to local referendum to fund West Memphis hospital).

Memphis Tenn
Food - 7.25%
Non-food 9.25%

Most of the Memphis suburbs are 7.75/9.75 due to increases in local option. Referendum in Memphis was voted down.

Wartrace is wrong on food - at least at a grocery store. Fast food and restaurant is taxed at the full state + local rate.
Local (city/county combined) is capped at 2.75%, so 9.75 is maximum for non-food, 7.75 maximum on food.
I am glad you clarified that: we have the same situation food is taxed a little differently and each city and county tax has their own tax %. First there is the state tax, then additional taxes. yes, restaurant tax is different than food tax and can add an extra couple % to the overall tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or