U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 11:06 AM

96 posts, read 213,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
What is the general sound/style/type of Hip Hop featured in your city? What are some cultural characteristics for it, intangibles (substances, vehicles, clubs/outings), and other stuff like that?
I'm older, so I'm not the best resource for the new meterial. Also, I know I'm forgetting a lot of names. Here are the first things to pop intto my head:

Quote:
New York: Still holds the monopoly on top quality lyricists. Jay, Nas, Busta, Rza, Fat Joe, Diddy, Redman, 50, MF Doom, A$AP Rocky, etc., etc., etc., etc.
Atlanta: Mostly trap. Varies from experimental to Minsteral Show of the 21st Century. 2 Chainz, TI, Gucci Mane, Young Thug, Waka Flocka, B.o.B., Ludacris, Lil Jon, etc., etc..
Miami: Mostly club music. Can't say much about the area. Pitbull, Flo Rida.
Washington: DMV and Balitmore has a unique and refreshing sound. Bounce, Go-go. Wale, King Los.
Houston: Chopped 'N Screwed. Loved the older stuff: Trae, Zro, Lil Keke, UGK.
Detroit: Not sure. Only thing I can think of at the moment is Emenim and old things from J-Dilla.
Chicago: Definitely an interesting underground which varies in quality. Mainstream artists seem to drift away from the city (Chance, Common, Lupe, Kanye, Twista).
Dallas: Mostly think of dance moves when I think of Triple D. um, Dorrough...uh, Tumtum?
Los Angeles: Reinvented itself & climbed back to the top. TDE, SchoolBoyQ, Kendrick, Ty$, Tyler, Odd Future.
San Francisco [Bay Area]: Oakland always offers a unique flavor. Who doesn't love Short and E40? Briefly remember hearing about the Hyphy phase. Joke artists like Lil' B.
Phoenix: Not too familiar. Probably leftover backpacker acts from LA.
Philadelphia: Mind's drawing a blank ATM. I know there's some good acts that come from Illadelph.
Boston: Honestly not that familiar with Boston.
Seattle: Not terribly familiar with it. But hear some promising things about the underground scene. Macklemore.
Minneapolis: Same as above.
Cities you forgot:

Las Vegas: Seems to be the upcommer for underground to look out for.
Memphis: Origins of Crunk. Yo Gotti, Juicy J.
Cleveland: Bone Thugz.
New Orleans: Boosie, Weezy, Birdman. Has some real good underground talent.
St. Louis: Nelly put the city on the map, so I'm sure there's talent there.
Kansas City: Tech N9ne.
Toronto: Drake, a number of underground artists.

Quote:
I left off San Diego and Denver, I don't think they even have a scene.
I think SD gets overshadowed by LA and I think Denver is mostly known for DJs. I think Tyler the Creator mentioned he was born in Boulder, CO.

Quote:
Which cities have the most prolific scenes or the most memorable/contribution scenes?
There's plenty of content out there that covers the birth of hiphop in the Bronx, to Tupac & Biggie, to today.

In terms of regional 'contributions' for Hiphop (while not all are exactly Hiphop):

NYC => Hiphop in general (the birthplace)
LA => G-funk, Gansta rap
Bay Area => Hyphy
Chi => House & other Electronic genres
DMV => Bounce, Go-go mixes
Miami => Drum 'n Bass
Htown => Chopped 'n Screwed
ATL => Trap music
Memphis => Crunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'm surprised that Memphis and New Orleans aren't mentioned.
Seriously. Not sure how Phoenix, Boston, Seattle and Minneapolis are considered over these two.

Hope this helps. Others, feel free to correct my mistakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 01:27 PM

18,649 posts, read 27,087,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIBЄ View Post
I'm older, so I'm not the best resource for the new meterial. Also, I know I'm forgetting a lot of names. Here are the first things to pop intto my head:

Cities you forgot:

Las Vegas: Seems to be the upcommer for underground to look out for.
Memphis: Origins of Crunk. Yo Gotti, Juicy J.
Cleveland: Bone Thugz.
New Orleans: Boosie, Weezy, Birdman. Has some real good underground talent.
St. Louis: Nelly put the city on the map, so I'm sure there's talent there.
Kansas City: Tech N9ne.
Toronto: Drake, a number of underground artists.

I think SD gets overshadowed by LA and I think Denver is mostly known for DJs. I think Tyler the Creator mentioned he was born in Boulder, CO.

There's plenty of content out there that covers the birth of hiphop in the Bronx, to Tupac & Biggie, to today.

In terms of regional 'contributions' for Hiphop (while not all are exactly Hiphop):

NYC => Hiphop in general (the birthplace)
LA => G-funk, Gansta rap
Bay Area => Hyphy
Chi => House & other Electronic genres
DMV => Bounce, Go-go mixes
Miami => Drum 'n Bass
Htown => Chopped 'n Screwed
ATL => Trap music
Memphis => Crunk

Seriously. Not sure how Phoenix, Boston, Seattle and Minneapolis are considered over these two.

Hope this helps. Others, feel free to correct my mistakes.
Great post. I would say though that DC gave us gogo but New Orleans gave us bounce. Houston, Louisiana (especially), and Mississippi emphasizes the horns and instruments in many of its music. Btw, Booosie from Baton Rouge.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:20 PM

96 posts, read 213,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Great post. I would say though that DC gave us gogo but New Orleans gave us bounce. Houston, Louisiana (especially), and Mississippi emphasizes the horns and instruments in many of its music. Btw, Booosie from Baton Rouge.
That's right. Kept on thinking Bounce came from DC. Thanks, I'll update the post.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:22 PM

56,710 posts, read 81,038,544 times
Another way to find out about the Hip-Hop scene in these areas is to look into the radio stations that play this format, including college radio. Sometimes, that is how you find out about local acts.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:55 PM

77 posts, read 110,512 times
this discussion seems a bit flawed. if we are discussing overall hip hop culture in cities, the number of mainstream artists from each city is definitely not a valid way to judge. there really is no objective way to separate cities into categories, but I must say that cities such as Seattle or Minneapolis should definitely not be included in the same sentence with the likes of New York or Atlanta

Old 08-11-2014, 05:55 PM

18,649 posts, read 27,087,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth33 View Post
this discussion seems a bit flawed. if we are discussing overall hip hop culture in cities, the number of mainstream artists from each city is definitely not a valid way to judge. there really is no objective way to separate cities into categories, but I must say that cities such as Seattle or Minneapolis should definitely not be included in the same sentence with the likes of New York or Atlanta
The thread is about the different cultures in hip hop in these cities. I didn't look at it as a ranking honestly.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:12 PM

77 posts, read 110,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumansAreEvil View Post
I wish this type of ghetto music would just die already.
not as wonderfully flawless and society saving as your favorite type of music?

Old 08-11-2014, 10:14 PM

579 posts, read 1,207,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'm surprised that Memphis and New Orleans aren't mentioned.
Why Memphis? He said hip-hop, not that blues stuff from the Mississippi Delta

Old 08-11-2014, 11:59 PM

6,920 posts, read 12,394,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bornjacksonian View Post
Why Memphis? He said hip-hop, not that blues stuff from the Mississippi Delta

Memphis is well-respected in Hip Hop, particularly back in the 90s/early 2000s.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:48 AM

267 posts, read 239,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumansAreEvil View Post
I wish this type of ghetto music would just die already.
Hip Hop will never die bro. It goes in cycles, Or should I say it has its hills and valleys. In this case of music nowadays, its in a frickin canyon! This mainstream stuff is slap garbage. These mainstream "entertainers" (I wouldn't call them rappers) have no clue of what they're doing, because that's all they see is dollar signs. If there was law that banned the profiting of rap music, every one of these rappers you see on the MTVs and BETs would jet. Eventually hip hop will come back to the real as it did in 1993-1994 after Hammer, Snow, and Vanilla Ice damn near destroyed it. Its a bigger problem now because there are more wack artists on the mainstream ticket, so it may take time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or