U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2014, 09:50 PM

19 posts, read 22,937 times

Advertisements

I have been on this site for quite some time and I have reached a checkpoint in my life where I am ready to move out of NJ on my own.
A little about me:
+ I am 24, single, no kids, and currently working in the tech industry (computer networking).
+ Love the outdoors (camping, hiking, mountain/trail biking, horseback ride, snowboarding, wakeboarding, etc) but I don't want to be WAY out from civilization.. within 30 minutes of mountains for boarding & biking and 40-60minutes from a big city (I will be renting and I am fine with living in my own apartment/studio or a room in someone's humble abode).
+ I love the winter but I don't want to wake up and shovel 4+ ft of snow regularly, though I live in NJ I do know how to drive safely in inclimate weather.
+ I like hilly regions, mountains nearby to admire, rain and low-humidity.
+ Festivals, fairs and block-parties are always appealing to me.

I am looking to move in the spring so that gives me time to visit places and scope out what I like. There is no limit for distance, my family knows and understands how adventurous I am. I'm not "running away" from anything, just ready to start a chapter in an unfamiliar location =]

I know my preferences can't be 100% fulfilled =] any suggestions are always greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 10:10 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,132,244 times
Sounds like somewhere just north outside of Boston would work perfectly. Plenty of mountains nearby, substantial snowfall, and plenty of outdoor activities in New Hampshire and Maine. Lots of mountains, forests, coastline, etc. Also, Boston is booming with tech industry now. It would also be somewhat tolerable if you wanted to travel to visit family in NJ without having to buy plane tickets and wasting vacation/PTO time on visiting family.

Denver could work also. It has lower humidity. But, most of the outdoor activity places (hiking, etc.) are crowded with lots of people, which is annoying.

Another option would possibly be upstate NY, near Albany. There are some jobs there. And the Adirondack mountains are amazing. Plenty of snowfall, too.

Pittsburgh, PA could be another option.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:47 AM

56,674 posts, read 80,973,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Sounds like somewhere just north outside of Boston would work perfectly. Plenty of mountains nearby, substantial snowfall, and plenty of outdoor activities in New Hampshire and Maine. Lots of mountains, forests, coastline, etc. Also, Boston is booming with tech industry now. It would also be somewhat tolerable if you wanted to travel to visit family in NJ without having to buy plane tickets and wasting vacation/PTO time on visiting family.

Denver could work also. It has lower humidity. But, most of the outdoor activity places (hiking, etc.) are crowded with lots of people, which is annoying.

Another option would possibly be upstate NY, near Albany. There are some jobs there. And the Adirondack mountains are amazing. Plenty of snowfall, too.

Pittsburgh, PA could be another option.
Parts of the Philadelphia area may work too. Maybe other parts of Upstate NY or Burlington VT may work as well.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:33 PM

854 posts, read 1,114,236 times
If you could immigrate to Canada Vancouver BC would probably be great for you. The jobs there probably wouldn't pay as much in your field as similar jobs in Seattle or California but I think otherwise Vancouver would fit your bill a bit more.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:11 PM

542 posts, read 1,407,165 times
Salt Lake City

Old 08-11-2014, 08:38 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,102,022 times
Portland, OR or Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or