U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 04:50 AM

60 posts, read 202,407 times

Advertisements

Help! My husband and I are set to move in a few months and still are arguing over the mountains versus ocean. He wants to move to Denver to be close to Skiing and I want to move to North Carolina to be close to the ocean. We each want to be within a 2-4 hour drive to skiing or the ocean. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 06:32 AM

26,346 posts, read 82,968,211 times
So everything else is equal? First (in the list of priorities which affect the decision process) comes skiing vs ocean, then comes availability of jobs, housing prices, culture, commuting, distance from family & friends, climate?

Why don't you move to SoCal then you'd have both within two hours?

Old 12-22-2007, 11:38 AM

13,236 posts, read 24,407,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
So everything else is equal? First (in the list of priorities which affect the decision process) comes skiing vs ocean, then comes availability of jobs, housing prices, culture, commuting, distance from family & friends, climate?

Why don't you move to SoCal then you'd have both within two hours?
Before I read your post I was going to say: Two words: Los Angeles

Old 12-22-2007, 04:15 PM

264 posts, read 1,279,894 times
You can buy my teeny tiny house for two in San Diego county! A bargain at around $370K. I'd be more than happy to sell it so we can get to Denver

Forget Hell-Ay, San Diego is the nicer of the two. You have mountains within driving distance and the ocean is a 10 minute drive west from my house.

Where are you now?

Old 12-22-2007, 04:35 PM

271 posts, read 1,253,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanMia View Post
Help! My husband and I are set to move in a few months and still are arguing over the mountains versus ocean. He wants to move to Denver to be close to Skiing and I want to move to North Carolina to be close to the ocean. We each want to be within a 2-4 hour drive to skiing or the ocean. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!!
Colorado is not a viable option if you require <4 hour access to an ocean. The only places that would qualify for easy access to both via driving are, in my opinion, roughly in order of where I'd live...

My absolute #1 if you include Canada: Vancouver and Whistler/Blackcomb, British Columbia. The best ski area in the world (Yours Truly's NOT-so-humble opinion). But if you are only willing to live in the US, then my list would be:

1) Portland, OR (Portland and Mount Hood - only ski area in North America open year-round)
2) Berkeley, CA (San Francisco and Lake Tahoe/Mammoth Mountain)
3) Boston/Hartford/New York City (VT/NH for skiing)
4) Charlotte, NC (Asheville and Wilmington/Charleston)
5) Los Angeles (Beach cities and Bear Mountain/Mammoth Mountain)

I suspect you also want year-round nice warm weather where you live. Given that, California is probably your best bet, as the skiing in NC is not all that great. I'd put San Diego at #4 if I knew where any of the good & close ski areas were from there.

Old 12-22-2007, 05:02 PM

26,346 posts, read 82,968,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmer View Post
You can buy my teeny tiny house for two in San Diego county! A bargain at around $370K.
How many square feet is it? About a hundred?

Old 12-22-2007, 07:03 PM

264 posts, read 1,279,894 times
HA HA! Actually it's 1177, but it does have an attached 2 car garage and a small yard. Price is that low because it's a "detached condo", aka extra-small house.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:46 AM

Wink Still Searching...

Thanks so much for all of your replies. We are still going back and forth. We were ruling out California because it is to far from family in the north east. We have looked at North Carolina and love it but of course we have found out that the skiing there is not great at all and it does get really humid there in the summers. And I am having a hard time moving all the way to the west because of the travel time to and from family. So we are still trying to figure this out!!

Old 01-10-2008, 06:18 AM

107 posts, read 320,701 times
did you ever consider that North Carolina has this mountain range called the Great Smokies on the west end of the State, and a wonderful beach down the entire coast called the outer banks on the east end of the state?

Old 01-10-2008, 06:22 AM

Default But the skiing...

Of course we love the state of North Carolina but my husband is a very avid skiier and loves the skiing out west where it can take hours to come down the mountain and there is plenty of challenging terrain. We have been reading on the forum that people don't recommend the skiing in nc they suggest traveling up wv.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or