U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 03:41 PM

854 posts, read 1,114,637 times

Advertisements

Do you notice names that are common in certain states and less so in others? Looking at the top baby names in California from Social Security's stats I was surprised that a lot of 60s/70s/80s/90s names for girls still rank so high. I know that Hispanics and Asians often use names that have fallen out of favor among white people. I'd also imagine Latin/Spanish based names are more popular in states with a lot of Hispanics and Celtic/Irish names would be more popular in New England.

In the South you have a lot of double barreled names like Billy Bob and Mary Sue but I think this is probably more of an old fashioned thing, not so much now. Names like Hillary and Brittany for girls seem quite Southern to me, though, not that they aren't somewhat common in other regions as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 04:37 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,515,262 times
My name is Chad. It was very popular in the Midwest and Great Plains in the 70s.

Elsewhere, not as much.

Old 08-11-2014, 05:41 PM

13,222 posts, read 17,972,432 times
One thing about Pittsburgh that actually annoys me is the number of "Doms and Dons" who live in the area. They tend to be Italian and have massive chips on their shoulders. In fact, a great Italian yinzer name generator would have 'Dom' (typically short for Dominic) or 'Don' as the first name, or even 'Nick' as an accepted alternative, with the following criteria for creating the last name:

1. The first two letters have to be 'De-,' 'Di-,' "La-,' or just 'D' with an apostrophe immediately following it, in which case the apostrophe counts as the second letter.

2. The third letter has to be a capitalized consonant, except in the case of 'D' apostrophe, in which case it'd be a capitalized vowel.

3. The fourth letter has to be a vowel, unless the third letter is a capitalized vowel, in which case a consonant and a vowel have to be the fourth and fifth letters, respectively.

4. A vowel has to be the fourth-to-last letter.

5. The third- and second-to-last letters have to be double consonants.

6. The last letter has to be a vowel, preferably 'A,' 'I' or 'O.'

Voila! You've generated a new Italian yinzer name!

Old 08-12-2014, 12:14 PM

854 posts, read 1,114,637 times
Lmao on the Pittsburghese. Does anyone else notice any patterns?

Old 08-12-2014, 02:55 PM

6,489 posts, read 16,166,684 times
"Clay" is a male name I think I've only seen in the South.
Vincent/Vince/Vinny seems more common in the Northeast than elsewhere.

Old 08-12-2014, 05:02 PM

7,600 posts, read 9,459,597 times
Mary was the most popular name for girls for over 50 years ( 1920-70, roughly).

Old-school boys names like Jim, Dave and Bob are not in vogue as much as they used to be..

Old 08-12-2014, 05:12 PM

3,512 posts, read 4,965,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
One thing about Pittsburgh that actually annoys me is the number of "Doms and Dons" who live in the area. They tend to be Italian and have massive chips on their shoulders. In fact, a great Italian yinzer name generator would have 'Dom' (typically short for Dominic) or 'Don' as the first name, or even 'Nick' as an accepted alternative, with the following criteria for creating the last name:
Funny you should say that -- One of my favorite movies is called "Dominick and Eugene" - it's about 2 brothers who share an old house, one a garbageman, and the other a medical student. The scenery in it is real authentic Pittsburgh, with steep hills spanned by outdoor stairways, etc.

Dominick and Eugene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-12-2014, 05:49 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,446,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Mary was the most popular name for girls for over 50 years ( 1920-70, roughly).

Old-school boys names like Jim, Dave and Bob are not in vogue as much as they used to be..
Actually, they're still pretty popular even for boys/young men. It's just that they're far more likely to go by James, David, and Robert, respectively.

Old 08-12-2014, 05:51 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,446,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
"Clay" is a male name I think I've only seen in the South.
Vincent/Vince/Vinny seems more common in the Northeast than elsewhere.
My nephew's name is Clay. And yes, he's from Alabama.

Another one I've seen only in the South is Gage. Never even thought it was a name until I moved down here.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:04 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,570,902 times
I think using surnames as first names is more a southern thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or