U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 05:42 PM

152 posts, read 238,416 times

Advertisements

Houston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 05:50 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,759,612 times
So it's Houston for the win on least visited large U.S. city, apparently. Interesting. Explains a lot of things actually. I grew up there, and though I haven't lived there in a very long time, I have a very different recollection of the place compared to most of what I read on C-D about it... both the negative and positive commentary. I think it is the most misunderstood of the major U.S. cities for sure, at least here on C-D, and after reading through this thread I'm starting to understand why. I'm neither rooting for Houston, nor am I bashing it... but I do feel that it isn't very well represented in these forums.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:10 PM

7,619 posts, read 9,474,666 times
Add me to the chorus--Houston. And honestly, I'll probably never go, either.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:27 PM

6,490 posts, read 16,183,561 times
I wouldn't refuse an all expenses paid trip to Houston (except maybe in Summer) but don't intend to go out of my way to visit either. As Bob Loblaw said, it has an image problem among city-fans.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:32 PM

7,619 posts, read 9,474,666 times
In addition to never visiting Houston, I've also never visited Phoenix, and I don't plan on going there, either.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:42 PM

4,408 posts, read 4,620,549 times
One reason Houston is the least visited big city is probably it's location. Few would drive through it on a road trip. I have been to nearby cities such as San Antonio and Corpus Christi but never Houston. I changed planes there once and i liked what i saw from the air. I almost got a job there in 1995 and was excited about moving there but it fell through at the last second.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:04 PM

4,959 posts, read 7,618,066 times
Houston- I'm sure I would have a great time if I ever ended up there for whatever reason, but I would never choose it as a destination.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Add me to the chorus--Houston. And honestly, I'll probably never go, either.
Good for you.

This is a typical sideways snipe that's used so frequently by people on this site. Not just for Houston, but for any place they have preconceived notions about. Why is it so necessary to add gratuitous snark to your comments? Especially when it's about a place you've never even been to? Does it satisfy some insecure inner need to have a false sense of regional superiority? I'll never understand this mentality.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:34 PM

3,974 posts, read 3,508,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Good for you.

This is a typical sideways snipe that's used so frequently by people on this site. Not just for Houston, but for any place they have preconceived notions about. Why is it so necessary to add gratuitous snark to your comments? Especially when it's about a place you've never even been to? Does it satisfy some insecure inner need to have a false sense of regional superiority? I'll never understand this mentality.
Any city that doesn't fit the progressive archetype gets these types of sideways swipes on c-d. But you can't tell someone who has a flyover superiority complex they are ignorant, that flies in the face of everything they stand for. Phoenix and Houston are the poster children for this kind of bashing. It's best not to let it get to you you can't change it. There's obviously a reason they are two of the fastest growing places in the country, so not all can be lost.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Any city that doesn't fit the progressive archetype gets these types of sideways swipes on c-d. But you can't tell someone who has a flyover superiority complex they are ignorant, that flies in the face of everything they stand for. Phoenix and Houston are the poster children for this kind of bashing. It's best not to let it get to you you can't change it. There's obviously a reason they are two of the fastest growing places in the country, so not all can be lost.
Oh, it doesn't get to me. I'm quite used to it at this point. I just don't understand it. I mean, if one's city/region/state is so awesome and "has it all", then why take gratuitous cheap shots at other places? Just enjoy where you live and let others enjoy where they live. That's the part that baffles me.

I would also add to those poster children cities: Dallas, Atlanta, Detroit, Cleveland, and sometimes even Chicago... as crazy as that may seem. I've seen it more than a few times on C-D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or