U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 09:11 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,775,708 times

Advertisements

To take part in this thread, I have been to pretty much all of the major cities in this country, and even lived in more than a few, so the cities I would like to see some time are more in the mid-size range. Cities like Milwaukee, Cincinatti, Columbus, Salt Lake City (drove through once, but never got off the freeway), Denver, and Albuquerque. I've also never been to Charleston, Savannah, or Richmond.

Definitely on my bucket list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 09:13 PM

2,759 posts, read 1,734,769 times
Houston TX

Old 08-13-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I live in the Northeast, so I hear about the superiority complex, and it does exist, although not as much as you might think. I'm often definding the interior US, but you just assumed that I wouldn't be the type to do that..

I have visited Texas several times, on my own dime, out of curiosity. a number of years ago. After experiencing Dallas/Ft Worth and Austin, I felt that that was enough. Would I like to visit Houston? Sure, but I'm not dying to go. The odds of me visiting Houston, for any reason, are pretty low, again due to other interests in the US, Europe, and maybe the Far East. I can't go everywhere I might have some small interest in seeing..
OK then. I apologize if I got a little argumentative. What you said here makes more sense and does seem sincere. Personally, I love the Northeast. I have traveled all over the region, except Northern Maine, and even lived there for a few years (New Haven, and Springfield, MA). I have no issue with the people there. Cheers.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:26 PM

7,678 posts, read 9,525,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
OK then. I apologize if I got a little argumentative. What you said here makes more sense and does seem sincere. Personally, I love the Northeast. I have traveled all over the region, except Northern Maine, and even lived there for a few years (New Haven, and Springfield, MA). I have no issue with the people there. Cheers.
No problem, I do realize that the written word can differ from someone's true intent, so I could have "couched" the phrase a little better.

Houston would be a challenge, mostly for the weather. I would have trouble with the humidity, having lived in Vermont, Mass, upstate NY and Wisconsin. There's also the issue of getting around the vast territorial mass that is the metro area. I usually associate the city with the old AFL, and the Oilers ( George Webster, Elvin Bethea, etc), oil deposits, and tremendous, unfathomable growth. It would be the opposite of the old, established Northeast, and I would have some interest. I just see it as unlikely, but not impossible..

I'd have to go in the winter.

Springfield and New Haven--got some tough neigborhoods in both, but otherwise not too bad..

Old 08-13-2014, 09:30 PM

Quote:
To take part in this thread, I have been to pretty much all of the major cities in this country, and even lived in more than a few, so the cities I would like to see some time are more in the mid-size range. Cities like Milwaukee, Cincinatti, Columbus, Salt Lake City (drove through once, but never got off the freeway), Denver, and Albuquerque. I've also never been to Charleston, Savannah, or Richmond.

Definitely on my bucket list.
Of all these, try Milwaukee. It's like a miniature Chicago, with great food ( German, Polish, etc), and some stunning views of Lake Michigan--frankly, better than many Atlantic Ocean views.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:31 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,782,181 times
New York. Indifferent about it. Might not ever go, unless it's a company thing.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:35 PM

4,413 posts, read 4,647,795 times
I just thought of something interesting, at least to me. I have never been anywhere East of where I was born yet have been most everywhere West of there.

I was born and spent my childhood in Milwaukee and visited Chicago many times. Yet I have never been East of Lake Michigan. I have been to every major city West of there (except like everyone else on here Houston) and many non-major cities West of there as well.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Of all these, try Milwaukee. It's like a miniature Chicago, with great food ( German, Polish, etc), and some stunning views of Lake Michigan--frankly, better than many Atlantic Ocean views.
That's what I've heard. One of my best friends, who I go way back with, is originally from there. Everything he's told me has piqued my interest. He taught me how to properly cook beer brats, and gave me a hardcore lesson on how to pair certain beers with certain cheeses, haha! Milwaukee sounds like a place I would really enjoy, and I imagine it has a LOT of overlooked treasures. Definitely one of my high-priority cities to visit.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:41 PM

Quote:
That's what I've heard. One of my best friends, who I go way back with, is originally from there. Everything he's told me has piqued my interest. He taught me how to properly cook beer brats, and gave me a hardcore lesson on how to pair certain beers with certain cheeses, haha! Milwaukee sounds like a place I would really enjoy, and I imagine it has a LOT of overlooked treasures. Definitely one of my high-priority cities to visit.
It has a blue-collar image from iits breweries, and from the old "Laverne and Shirley" Tv show from the 70s, but it has quite a bit of Old World charm in its downtown area ( if you try one restaurant, try Mader's, probably the best German restaurant in the US). The emphasis is upon beer brats and dairy products, which might explain the "heavy" citizenry...LOL

Lake Michigan is vastly underrated by easterners, though--I defend it, but they always throw the ocean at me..

It's also only 90 miles from Chicago..

Old 08-13-2014, 10:17 PM

2,780 posts, read 6,720,806 times
Chicago. I have been to LA and NYC but not Chicago. Answering per OP's request.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or