Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 12:56 AM

2,088 posts, read 1,970,935 times

Advertisements

San Jose. The next largest city I've never been to is Nashville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 05:13 PM

605 posts, read 1,165,231 times
Houston

Old 08-14-2014, 07:36 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,281,075 times
Largest city in the USA that I have never been too is New York City. In fact, the only top 10 city I've been to is Chicago, which I've been too more times that I can count.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:45 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,122,874 times
Chicago

Old 08-14-2014, 09:26 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,676,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Largest city in the USA that I have never been too is New York City. In fact, the only top 10 city I've been to is Chicago, which I've been too more times that I can count.
For me I have only been to Los Angeles(live there since age 4), Phoenix, San Diego and San Jose.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:59 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,461,060 times
Houston, we have a problem.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:05 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,676,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
So it's Houston for the win on least visited large U.S. city, apparently. Interesting. Explains a lot of things actually. I grew up there, and though I haven't lived there in a very long time, I have a very different recollection of the place compared to most of what I read on C-D about it... both the negative and positive commentary. I think it is the most misunderstood of the major U.S. cities for sure, at least here on C-D, and after reading through this thread I'm starting to understand why. I'm neither rooting for Houston, nor am I bashing it... but I do feel that it isn't very well represented in these forums.
Interesting, Houston may not be most visited, but it is a fast growing city which I bet could surpass Chicago by the 2020 census. So many like to make Houston their home. In fact I saw some threads regarding wanting to move to the city.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:31 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,594,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
Interesting, Houston may not be most visited, but it is a fast growing city which I bet could surpass Chicago by the 2020 census. So many like to make Houston their home. In fact I saw some threads regarding wanting to move to the city.
Yeah, I think the reason it's such a popular city to relocate to for transplants has to do with the fact that it has such a robust economy yet also has a low COL. Though that is starting to change. At least it is in the inner city, where property values have been skyrocketing recently. Still, it has a long way to go before it's anywhere near as pricey as the other "big 5" (NYC, L.A., Chicago, Philly). I think the reason it isn't visited as much as the others is:

A: it's location, which has been discussed here.
B: it's lack of scenic natural beauty. It's on the pancake-flat and mostly treeless Gulf coastal prairie, though the Northern half of the metro extends into the somewhat scenic pine belt. Most people visit Houston for business, not pleasure.
C: it's lack of tourism-oriented amenities. The only real tourist attraction there is NASA, and it's way out in a far-flung suburb. The Astrodome and the now long-gone Astroworld theme park used to be big attractions, but the dome is now just an empty eyesore, decaying away, awaiting the wrecking ball... and Astroworld was leveled to the ground several years ago.
D: it's notorious reputation for being so hot and humid, which personally I don't think should be a factor, but from what I hear from people quite often, it is. Doesn't seem to be much of an issue for other equally hot and humid (and frequently visited) cities like New Orleans and Miami though, so go figure.

Houston is a fascinating city, if anything. A city of 2.2 million people with no zoning makes for a chaotic, yet unique urban fabric. You never know what you're going to see around the next corner. For a lot of people, this is a sore spot and a huge turn-off. For others, it's part of what makes Houston unique and interesting. It's extremely diverse, with a large and steadily growing international population made up of immigrants from all over the globe, and that is reflected in the local restaurant scene, which is well above average. Houston isn't the easiest city to peg at first glance. It's vast and sprawling. One must set aside some time to see the city from it's many different angles before getting an accurate take on it. It has many positives and many negatives, just like any other big city, but few of them seem to be well understood from what I see and hear most of the time. Personally, I have a real love-hate relationship with the place. I miss certain things, but I would never live there again, just for the weather alone. I like cool and dry much more than hot and humid.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:35 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times
New York.

(I've been to the state 3 times, but NEVER been to the City. I've been to Boston and Philly, but not NYC. It's crazy)

Old 08-15-2014, 07:46 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,784,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
New York.

(I've been to the state 3 times, but NEVER been to the City. I've been to Boston and Philly, but not NYC. It's crazy)
Megabus is your friend!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.