U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 07:51 PM

16 posts, read 12,972 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Ga all my life and I'm looking to get out! I want to relocate to a city with a fun and lively nightlife. I'm a huge foodie so a place with tons of food options is important. Also a good beer/pub scene would be nice. I'm fairly liberal so I would like to move somewhere that wasn't super conservative. Although, I've lived in GA for 29 years so it's not a deal breaker, just a preference. Affordability is also important- I'm a nurse and husband works in special education at the schools so I'm thinking California or NY would be a no go. Probably somewhere in the 200k range. Good shopping malls. I would like to have access to the beach/mountains if possible-diving distance. Good schools are important if we decide to have kids. Lastly, I'm not a huge fan of ga weather-the heat is unbearable at times and I also really dislike snow-I'm scared to drive in it. I know this place may be just a fantasy of mine, but if you guys can think of a place that's close to what I've mentioned let me know! I have a couple of places in mind but wanted to see if there's a place I've never thought of or researched.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 08:14 PM

542 posts, read 1,406,288 times
How about Nashville or Columbus, OH?

Old 08-12-2014, 08:20 PM

56,607 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Louisville?

Old 08-12-2014, 08:38 PM

I've thought about nashville. But when I visited a friend a while back, I wasn't crazy about the area. Although I think I'd need to have more time exploring it before ruling it out. Chattanooga was really pretty but the schools seem to be lacking and the area itself isn't very big. I haven't considered Louisville or Columbus. Don't they get quite a bit of snow during the winter season? I've also looked into portland but have heard it's pretty expensive with all the taxes. I've looked into Dallas and Austin but I am worried the heat will be just as bad as GA and it's pretty much in the middle of nowhere with no beaches or mountains to drive to. I've looked into Raleigh/chapel hill/durham and Asheville and the area(s) seems good but worried there's not much going on. I've looked into Richmond but again it seems to be lacking on things to do.

Old 08-13-2014, 01:37 AM

13,236 posts, read 24,420,410 times
Portland, OR
Tacoma, WA

The not hot and no snow thing is hard to accomplish, tbh.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:16 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,827,316 times
Affordable and liberal don't go hand in hand. You also aren't going to find anything with beaches and mountains that is cheap. That question is asked at least once a week on here.

If you are really looking for a foodie lifestyle, then suck it up and move to NYC.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:12 AM

56,607 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Affordable and liberal don't go hand in hand. You also aren't going to find anything with beaches and mountains that is cheap. That question is asked at least once a week on here.

If you are really looking for a foodie lifestyle, then suck it up and move to NYC.
You can find places with an overall COL that is around the national average and that have liberal areas, but like you are eluding to, there needs to be some give and take with the criteria somewhere.

Old 08-13-2014, 01:13 PM

Well I meant liberal pockets. Georgia is obviously a red state but not so much in parts of Atlanta. Also I don't mind some snow but I just don't want to be covered in it the majority of winter. I know I have to prioritize my check list and with that being said it seems like Dallas might be a good fit. It claims to have more restaurants per capita than other major cities, lots of shopping, my money would go further here according to inflation data, and the beach is only 7-9 hrs away. I think I could deal with the temperature and conservatives. Although Austin seems to have that more liberal feel so I'll have to do more research. I don't want to sacrifice amenities for politics.

Last edited by Whetkat1485; 08-13-2014 at 02:19 PM..

Old 08-14-2014, 06:34 AM

21,188 posts, read 30,366,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whetkat1485 View Post
I've lived in Ga all my life and I'm looking to get out! I want to relocate to a city with a fun and lively nightlife. I'm a huge foodie so a place with tons of food options is important. Also a good beer/pub scene would be nice. I'm fairly liberal so I would like to move somewhere that wasn't super conservative. Although, I've lived in GA for 29 years so it's not a deal breaker, just a preference. Affordability is also important- I'm a nurse and husband works in special education at the schools so I'm thinking California or NY would be a no go. Probably somewhere in the 200k range. Good shopping malls. I would like to have access to the beach/mountains if possible-diving distance. Good schools are important if we decide to have kids. Lastly, I'm not a huge fan of ga weather-the heat is unbearable at times and I also really dislike snow-I'm scared to drive in it. I know this place may be just a fantasy of mine, but if you guys can think of a place that's close to what I've mentioned let me know! I have a couple of places in mind but wanted to see if there's a place I've never thought of or researched.

Thanks
Chapel Hill/Carrboro in North Carolina would fit the bill. It has a great foodie scene (a few NY Times write ups), a liberal population along with much larger neighboring Durham, excellent public schools (#1 in NC), access to great shopping, two hour drives to the beach or mountains, a fairly mild/evenly distributed four season climate and affordability with over 30 homes currently in the 175K-225K bracket.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:29 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,407,118 times
Portland sounds about right, if you can handle gloomy weather for a majority of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or