U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 10:25 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,394,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalu5 View Post
Apparently the hostility crew works mornings only. Thanks to those who gave constructive replies...I found them useful and have some new cities to explore before I commit to Boulder.

All I have to say to the rest is, 1) if you lived in Indiana for 28 years, you would express negative feelings as well, or "whine" 2) yes I'm judgmental...I know what I want. Better than drifting about aimlessly. The reason I'm financially independent at 28 is because of my ability to JUDGE 3) I encourage you to spend 6 months at below freezing temperatures to prove to everyone around you that you're not a *wimp*!
Im originally from Chicagoland area, now live in the scorching desert. Thing is, I make the most out of the situations, whether it be -20 degrees in Chicago or 115 degrees here in Phoenix. My beef with you is your rampant stereotyping. I particularly found the "protestant work ethic" comment of yours to be the most utterly ridiculousl thing Ive ever heard of. If you come out west to start over, leave your old self behind, as many of us moved here to start anew, and we dont want people carrying whiny baggage when they come here. Theres NOTHING worse than some toolbag moving here from, say, NYC, and carrying about yelling, driving like an arse, and being a New Yorker here in the laid back SW, it sucks!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 10:35 AM

7 posts, read 4,443 times
I can understand the stereotyping makes some people angry...I'm just trying to get down to brass tacks and be real. No worries on that, agree to disagree.

About the work ethic, I seriously found a massive difference in attitudes toward work when I traveled west. At least in Boulder, it seems that other things in life come first...like family, health, hobbies...and people work to live. By "protestant work ethic" I meant the "live to work" materialistic attitude that people have here (Indy) and on the east coast. When I had a W-2 job, the hours demanded were ridiculous, and people here seem to have little personality beyond their professional identity, which is sacred. I hate everything about the NYC, fast-driving, yelling attitude you describe and the reason I am moving is to go some place more laid back and less stressful. So maybe we're not actually too far apart on that one?

I assure you I will be bringing a laid back attitude. I plan to volunteer, pursue hobbies, explore the West, meet some friends and women, and do little else...definitely not anything that would produce the east-coast style stress that induces horn honking or being rude to strangers.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:24 AM

8,340 posts, read 14,095,346 times
Quote:
All I have to say to the rest is, 1) if you lived in Indiana for 28 years, you would express negative feelings as well, or "whine" 2) yes I'm judgmental...I know what I want. Better than drifting about aimlessly. The reason I'm financially independent at 28 is because of my ability to JUDGE 3) I encourage you to spend 6 months at below freezing temperatures to prove to everyone around you that you're not a *wimp*!
I have lived in or near Indiana for 31 years. You are welcome to check my post history to judge how much I whine about my location.

If you want to leave, that is fine. I don't see this thread as a referendum on Indiana, nor should anyone. I see this as another one of those "hey I hate this place and all my problems will disappear once I move away" threads that are all over the city data. Some people find they like their new place. Some people go crawling back to their original locale. Whichever camp you end up, best of luck.

Last edited by Toxic Toast; 08-14-2014 at 11:37 AM..

Old 08-14-2014, 12:54 PM

Thanks. I hope I am in the mind-blowing life-altering positive difference camp. Different strokes etc

Old 08-14-2014, 04:43 PM

86,988 posts, read 102,554,590 times
Quote:
Hi,

I've lived in Indiana my entire life and absolutely hate it here. My circumstances recently changed for the better, and I'm finally able to move out at the age of 28. I grew up in the uber-conservative suburb of Carmel and I now live in Indianapolis.

I consider myself more of a libertarian or anarchist than anything, but I tend to find liberals more pleasant to live around. I'm an atheist, so it's impossible to find a meaningful relationship here in the Bible Belt. Even if the girl is open minded, parents view me with suspicion. I am not in-your-face about it and consider myself a good, friendly person with morals. Religion is just not an important part of my life.

I have terrible, terrible seasonal depression. The lack of sunlight, sticky heat, INSANE winters, and general low quality of Indiana's weather is like being in a prison. For about six months out of the year I barely leave my house, and I can't engage in my favorite activities, most of which require being outdoors.

I'm very health conscious and enjoy outdoor activities. Not the cold kind, like skiing, but hiking, camping, kayaking, boating, etc. I am disgusted by all the obese people I see here every day. The primary social activity here is binge drinking, and it's considered weird for a guy to be concerned about fitness / health at all by the majority of people.

I am single and would like a large dating pool to select from. Most people here get married in their very early 20s or late teens. Later most get divorced, but by then usually have children and ruined bodies. I am unattracted to 99% of women here due to the aforementioned extreme religiousness and lack of fitness. Occasionally I run into attractive women, but their heads are so big from being a big fish in a little pond that they're mostly insufferable and obsessed with social status / money. Also, I tend to only be attracted to white girls.

Since I'm single, schools are not important to me, nor is being in a quiet area or family environment, or having lots of space in a dwelling. I do not want to buy another house and will be renting.

Economically, I do not care about taxes due to the structure of the business I own. I also do not care about employment prospects. I own business that passively generate cash, so I can technically live anywhere in the world, but would prefer the US. I don't intend on seeking another job unless it's to learn a new skill or out of boredom. I am not "rich", so I can't just up and move to downtown manhattan or something. I make about 5k per month after taxes and growing steadily, and the marginal pain of having a job is not worth the marginal benefit of the income said job could provide.

I recently visited Boulder, CO and was absolutely blown away by its awesomeness. The only things keeping me from moving there immediately are:

1) I really hate the cold, as I said. Most of the people I hear moaning about colorado cold are from Texas or Cali, so I don't know what to believe. In Indy I endure six months of gray, sunless sky, snow that sticks and doesn't melt, temps as low as -40 after wind chill, and $400 heat bills. I think I can tolerate some cold as long as it is nowhere near as bad as this.

2) I am a very frugal / minimalist person and will probably live in the cheapest studio apartment I can find, due to the high rents in Boulder proper. So, $900 a month or so. This puts me in a 350sqft apartment. I'm fine with this, but I don't want to be somewhere where doing this makes me a social pariah, where you have to spend / flaunt money to show status. I just visited the big island of Hawaii, and while I would never live there (EVER) I did appreciate how money / social status had almost zero effect on how you were treated, who your friends were, and what quality of girls you could date.

3) I find liberal cities a breath of fresh air coming from the stifling environment here, but I visited Vail while in the area, and found the people to be somewhat snobby and elitist. I hope this isn't true of Boulder?

On the plus side, everyone was fit, there were a ton of things to do and see, a feeling of community, amazing bike trails and public transportation, Peyton Manning plays a couple miles away, I did not see a single church or overhear any conversation mentioning religion or god, the mountains are breathtaking, the hiking in colorado and in states within driving distance is second to none, and the girls there were unbelievably, unbelievably gorgeous and FRIENDLY. I also enjoy marijuana on occasion.

I'm also considering Austin TX for the much cheaper cost of living, but I've never visited and I hear the summer heat is just as bad as Midwestern winters. Right now I only know it by the numbers. The fact it's in Texas makes me nervous.

San Diego is a possibility, but I've never been, and I absolutely hate LA.

Basically the entire eastern half of the United States is out. The obsession with work, the fast pace , and the Protestant work ethic turns me off in the north part, and the fat people and religion kill it for me in the south.

Portland sounds good, but I hear it's dreary and cold / rainy.

The state of Washington also falls under the above.

Hawaii was too much like a foreign country, and the pace was actually TOO slow. It felt isolated and trapped. Crazy bugs. Everybody on welfare. No variety of foods. No big concerts or events. Not for me.

Can someone reassure me on Boulder or suggest a better place based on the criteria in the novel I just wrote ?

Thanks
I've lived in Boulder County for 32 years; my spouse and I are either currently working in Boulder or have in the past.

Regarding the bolds, there are plenty of like-minded people in Boulder for you. Your source of income would fit right in Boulder. Unfortunately for you, there are also some people who aren't into fitness, are overweight, go to church, work, didn't vote for the legalization of marijuana, etc. There is a "keep up with the Joneses" attitude about fitness, running, climbing 14ers, skiing black diamonds, and the like. Football, particularly the Broncos, is not particularly popular.

Sucks, doesn't it?

Old 08-14-2014, 05:21 PM

Eh, still sounds like a massive improvement, no place is perfect but some are closer than others, I will give it a shot

Old 08-17-2014, 10:51 AM

983 posts, read 1,354,758 times
I think Boulder would be a great fit. Most people wanting to live in Boulder only retreat because of the cost of living. Denver is also nice and has some outer areas that are not quite so pricey.

The summers anywere in TX and in Phoenix/Tucson are going to be brutal, dry heat or not...brutal. And although you may not like cold weather, it sounds like you still prefer four seasons and would like to be in the mountains or close to the mountains. So that puts you wither near the Rockies or the Sierras (farther west, western NV or eastern CA). Both areas offer what you want. Boulder just has a very young vibe to it. As you move further into adulthood you may find the "keeping up with the Jones" attitude in Boulder to be not your style. But there is usually a niche you can find somewhere near those communities to make the initial move worthwhile.

Colorado gets a great amount of snow most winters and most of the state is at elevation that you will be in the snow. They also get a fair bit of rain, though scattered and less frequent during the other seasons. I believe average precipitation for Denver is around 15", Boulder is 20", Indianapolis is 42". By contrast the eastern side of the Sierras sees about 7" of precipitation per year. A bit less liberal but still near the mountains. Of course you could choose Lake Tahoe but winter is more like the Midwest there. Reno is only 20 minutes from Tahoe (skiing, boating, hiking), less weather than CO, not as liberal but there is a college in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or