U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 09:38 PM

7 posts, read 4,446 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I've lived in Indiana my entire life and absolutely hate it here. My circumstances recently changed for the better, and I'm finally able to move out at the age of 28. I grew up in the uber-conservative suburb of Carmel and I now live in Indianapolis.

I consider myself more of a libertarian or anarchist than anything, but I tend to find liberals more pleasant to live around. I'm an atheist, so it's impossible to find a meaningful relationship here in the Bible Belt. Even if the girl is open minded, parents view me with suspicion. I am not in-your-face about it and consider myself a good, friendly person with morals. Religion is just not an important part of my life.

I have terrible, terrible seasonal depression. The lack of sunlight, sticky heat, INSANE winters, and general low quality of Indiana's weather is like being in a prison. For about six months out of the year I barely leave my house, and I can't engage in my favorite activities, most of which require being outdoors.

I'm very health conscious and enjoy outdoor activities. Not the cold kind, like skiing, but hiking, camping, kayaking, boating, etc. I am disgusted by all the obese people I see here every day. The primary social activity here is binge drinking, and it's considered weird for a guy to be concerned about fitness / health at all by the majority of people.

I am single and would like a large dating pool to select from. Most people here get married in their very early 20s or late teens. Later most get divorced, but by then usually have children and ruined bodies. I am unattracted to 99% of women here due to the aforementioned extreme religiousness and lack of fitness. Occasionally I run into attractive women, but their heads are so big from being a big fish in a little pond that they're mostly insufferable and obsessed with social status / money. Also, I tend to only be attracted to white girls.

Since I'm single, schools are not important to me, nor is being in a quiet area or family environment, or having lots of space in a dwelling. I do not want to buy another house and will be renting.

Economically, I do not care about taxes due to the structure of the business I own. I also do not care about employment prospects. I own business that passively generate cash, so I can technically live anywhere in the world, but would prefer the US. I don't intend on seeking another job unless it's to learn a new skill or out of boredom. I am not "rich", so I can't just up and move to downtown manhattan or something. I make about 5k per month after taxes and growing steadily, and the marginal pain of having a job is not worth the marginal benefit of the income said job could provide.

I recently visited Boulder, CO and was absolutely blown away by its awesomeness. The only things keeping me from moving there immediately are:

1) I really hate the cold, as I said. Most of the people I hear moaning about colorado cold are from Texas or Cali, so I don't know what to believe. In Indy I endure six months of gray, sunless sky, snow that sticks and doesn't melt, temps as low as -40 after wind chill, and $400 heat bills. I think I can tolerate some cold as long as it is nowhere near as bad as this.

2) I am a very frugal / minimalist person and will probably live in the cheapest studio apartment I can find, due to the high rents in Boulder proper. So, $900 a month or so. This puts me in a 350sqft apartment. I'm fine with this, but I don't want to be somewhere where doing this makes me a social pariah, where you have to spend / flaunt money to show status. I just visited the big island of Hawaii, and while I would never live there (EVER) I did appreciate how money / social status had almost zero effect on how you were treated, who your friends were, and what quality of girls you could date.

3) I find liberal cities a breath of fresh air coming from the stifling environment here, but I visited Vail while in the area, and found the people to be somewhat snobby and elitist. I hope this isn't true of Boulder?

On the plus side, everyone was fit, there were a ton of things to do and see, a feeling of community, amazing bike trails and public transportation, Peyton Manning plays a couple miles away, I did not see a single church or overhear any conversation mentioning religion or god, the mountains are breathtaking, the hiking in colorado and in states within driving distance is second to none, and the girls there were unbelievably, unbelievably gorgeous and FRIENDLY. I also enjoy marijuana on occasion.

I'm also considering Austin TX for the much cheaper cost of living, but I've never visited and I hear the summer heat is just as bad as Midwestern winters. Right now I only know it by the numbers. The fact it's in Texas makes me nervous.

San Diego is a possibility, but I've never been, and I absolutely hate LA.

Basically the entire eastern half of the United States is out. The obsession with work, the fast pace , and the Protestant work ethic turns me off in the north part, and the fat people and religion kill it for me in the south.

Portland sounds good, but I hear it's dreary and cold / rainy.

The state of Washington also falls under the above.

Hawaii was too much like a foreign country, and the pace was actually TOO slow. It felt isolated and trapped. Crazy bugs. Everybody on welfare. No variety of foods. No big concerts or events. Not for me.

Can someone reassure me on Boulder or suggest a better place based on the criteria in the novel I just wrote ?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 09:50 PM

9,433 posts, read 18,339,314 times
Denver/Boulder gets cold snaps and freak snow storms in the spring and fall though its not unusual to have balmy days in the 50's and 60' in mid winter either. So be prepared for swings, that area gets a lot of continental weather influences coming down from Canada and up from the Gulf. Other than that you can count on a lot of sunny days, so the vitamin D will help your seasonal disorder. People like to be outside in Colorado, and Boulder has some amazing recreational opportunities.

If you're into the libertarians living side by side with liberals a place like Tucson, Arizona would be right up your alley if your open to living in the desert. It has some of the same eccentric college town elements that Boulder has, though Tucson has a lot more poverty and Boulder comes with a hefty price tag on cost of living.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:04 PM

This is interesting! Tucson is sounding pretty good based on some googling. What about Phoenix? It's a bigger city, more sunlight than Boulder, not cold, and the word on the street is that ASU has the best looking girls in the country. Can anyone confirm?

Old 08-13-2014, 10:08 PM

9,433 posts, read 18,339,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalu5 View Post
This is interesting! Tucson is sounding pretty good based on some googling. What about Phoenix? It's a bigger city, more sunlight than Boulder, not cold, and the word on the street is that ASU has the best looking girls in the country. Can anyone confirm?
Visit both in one trip, they are only two hours apart. Phoenix is a lot bigger with a lot more employment opportunities. ASU has kind of a "Girls gone wild" party school reputation if you're into that. Nearby Scottsdale is kind of like Orange County, wealthy, manicured, good shopping and nightlife. Like I said before, as a libertarian Arizona would be a very good fit.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:17 PM

2,493 posts, read 2,194,850 times
I made the move from Indy to Boulder 40 years ago (the week Nixon resigned).
The dry cold here is nothing like the damp cold of the Midwest.
I have a hard time visiting family in Indiana because 12 months of the year, the weather is MUCH better here. Outdoor recreation is a 12 month deal out here, there is no off season.

Boulder is great but it is an expensive college town. By the time I was 28, I was over the college scene.
Denver has equal access to mountain recreation and a better dating pool for late 20's and 30's.

If your business is that mobile and your living needs are minimal, come out and rent short term anywhere
and spend your time exploring and finding what location works for you. People out here are more likely to judge you by what bike or kayak you have than how big your house is.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:18 AM

21,196 posts, read 30,388,339 times
[quote=Daedalu5;36075023]
Basically the entire eastern half of the United States is out. The obsession with work, the fast pace , and the Protestant work ethic turns me off in the north part, and the fat people and religion kill it for me in the south.
QUOTE]

Perhaps if you weren't as judgemental and as prone to sweeping stereotypes you might be able to find many more suitable cities to choose from. There are so few that measure up to your preeminence, or your "high standards".

Old 08-14-2014, 08:40 AM

[quote=kyle19125;36077439]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalu5 View Post
QUOTE]

Perhaps if you weren't as judgemental and as prone to sweeping stereotypes you might be able to find many more suitable cities to choose from. There are so few that measure up to your preeminence, or your "high standards".
I dunno...clearly all types of people exist everywhere, but there are more types of certain kinds of people in certain places, that's why people talk about culture. I'm going by the numbers here. Check out an obesity map by county / state, then a map showing importance of religion or church attendance. I've traveled extensively in the northeast and (anecdotally) found people rude, the cities dirty and lacking green, the women materialistic and unattractive *in general*.

So yes, I could move to rural Arkansas and find a fit libertarian atheist outdoorsy person to hang with, but that might take months or years there. In Boulder and places like it, I find them by the minute. Why shoot myself in the foot when I am mobile?

I know my bluntness offends some, but I would rather have an honest conversation about a suitable place to live than appeal to anonymous internet peoples' sense of political correctness.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:15 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,423,575 times
Please stay in Indiana. The last thing we want out west is a whiny, judgmental, stereotyping, weather wimp who is a perfectionist. If you find the NE to be "rude", then that sounds like the perfect fit for you.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:20 AM

8,341 posts, read 14,104,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Please stay in Indiana. The last thing we want out west is a whiny, judgmental, stereotyping, weather wimp who is a perfectionist. If you find the NE to be "rude", then that sounds like the perfect fit for you.
Nah, I think it will be better for everyone if he leaves.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:54 AM

Apparently the hostility crew works mornings only. Thanks to those who gave constructive replies...I found them useful and have some new cities to explore before I commit to Boulder.

All I have to say to the rest is, 1) if you lived in Indiana for 28 years, you would express negative feelings as well, or "whine" 2) yes I'm judgmental...I know what I want. Better than drifting about aimlessly. The reason I'm financially independent at 28 is because of my ability to JUDGE 3) I encourage you to spend 6 months at below freezing temperatures to prove to everyone around you that you're not a *wimp*!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or