Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2014, 09:50 AM

433 posts, read 1,012,013 times

Advertisements

From New England and have been putting in job applications in Tampa Orlando and Boston. Should i land a solid job that would probably make the decision for me but rarely does a job hire you without interviewing in person so that would leave Boston at a disadvantage.

For me Boston is near home and where most of my family and childhood friends are. I have lived in Orlando for 5 years and while i have enjoyed it i am looking for a change.

I have grown tired of meeting people and having them move away here in Orlando. It is also really hard to make a true friend or a good girl here. The area is very segregated not just by race but by types of people. If your not just like them it makes it hard, and since it's really not that big of a city that makes things hard. Its not like other area's of the country where people get along with people for who they are and not where they are from -- sure the people here are polite but they don't really want more than surface pleasantries if your not from where they are and of the same genes. A lot of the girls are pretty shallow and snobby for no reason too compared to other places i've lived and the area isn't known for educated people or a lot of middle class people, its well off or paycheck to paycheck. Jobs are around but you must jump many hoops and the wages are pretty low.

I have a bachelor's in business and right now work in call centers for the cell phone industry and that's where i've been the past few years so that is my most relevant experience right now.

I'm told the complaints i have won't be solved by moving elsewhere in Florida as it's all the same and so i'm wondering how Boston compares and contrasts for me with what i'm looking for. I'm from New England but have never actually lived in the Boston area, i've visited and thought it was a nice walkable city. People arn't known as too great there either but at least there's way more people similar to me, better paying jobs, and in New England it may be harder to meet people but if you make a friend they are more likely to be a real friend and not fake.

So basically i'm thinking about relocating to another city other than Orlando. Either somewhere in Florida or if i'm going to move than living closer to home (Boston). I do have a job that allows me to transfer to other area's like North Carolina or Virginia or Texas but if i'm going to move real far and have to start over in a new city i'd prefer it to be closer to home i think, but any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Last edited by ^Eagle^; 08-14-2014 at 10:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 10:23 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Eagle^ View Post
So basically i'm thinking about relocating to another city other than Orlando. Either somewhere in Florida or if i'm going to move than living closer to home (Boston). I do have a job that allows me to transfer to other area's like North Carolina or Virginia or Texas but if i'm going to move real far and have to start over in a new city i'd prefer it to be closer to home i think, but any suggestions would be great. Thanks!
Be there, done that. As stated on another thread, there is something about the northern culture that can't be matched. I could never get used to the humid summers of the South. If I had the choice, then I would choose either Boston or another New England city.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:01 AM

I'm wanting to but damn cost of living is going to be almost double and wages (for now at least) will be the same! This is in Boston. I like big places with lots to do so can't think of many more cities that will fit that bill. Orlando is about as small as i want to go, it held my interest for 4 years. Lots of big city stuff to do. Boston is big and so close to so many other area's and centralized that i'd probably just stay around there if i move back. Wish i could find a city that fit the bill without the costs though!

Old 08-15-2014, 01:15 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Northern culture is more established, cohesive and matured.

What about the Worcester area? It's close to Boston, has plenty of jobs and is MUCH cheaper. I know, it's a small city, however.

If you're looking for jobs in Tampa to get away from Orlando, I don't think your life will improve that much, if at all.

Boston is very expensive, but I'm sure you can live in the outskirts, unless you're truly a city guy.

Old 08-16-2014, 05:18 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Eagle^ View Post
I'm wanting to but damn cost of living is going to be almost double and wages (for now at least) will be the same! This is in Boston. I like big places with lots to do so can't think of many more cities that will fit that bill. Orlando is about as small as i want to go, it held my interest for 4 years. Lots of big city stuff to do. Boston is big and so close to so many other area's and centralized that i'd probably just stay around there if i move back. Wish i could find a city that fit the bill without the costs though!
If your wage in Boston is going to be the same as your wage in Orlando there's clearly something wrong with your current employment situation and would rethink your career path before making any move at this point.

Old 08-16-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
If your wage in Boston is going to be the same as your wage in Orlando there's clearly something wrong with your current employment situation and would rethink your career path before making any move at this point.
I agree and im working on that but right now i need a job, cant get back up there without one. I work in the cell phone industry and they are starting to outsource the jobs overseas. Ive been looking into upgrading my degree or doing a tech class or certificate also to get more current with the job market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.