U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 09:22 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,749,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
I'm going to have to disagree with you there. Seattle, Phoenix, Washington, DC, and Atlanta are all fast growing transplant heavy cities but they are very different culturally with very different vibes.
Truth. Seattle and Phoenix especially couldn't be any more different from each other, on SOOO many levels. Not all of these cities attract the same kind of transplants.

Odd that the OP included Minneapolis, but didn't include Houston in his list of transplant-heavy cities. I'm always astounded every time I go back there to visit at just how few native Houstonians seem to be left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 11:01 PM

29,889 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
True, but I highly doubt that all of these transplant cities are going to develop a strong unique identity of their own in the same way that that many of the rustbelt cities have. That's because of modern day communication and travel. Today's growing transplant cities all essentially have similar culture and vibe.
I completely disagree with you; today's Rustbelt cities were once yesterday's boomtowns. The boomtowns won't boom forever, and no, all growing transplant cities do NOT have the same culture and vibe. The culture and vibe of, say, Las Vegas and Raleigh are almost polar opposites in every way. Also, there are older cities that are booming now so you get something of a hybrid of strong local culture with those transplants bring with them. San Antonio and Charleston, SC are two examples of such.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:32 PM

821 posts, read 1,253,531 times
The Pittsburgh area is mainly made up native Pennsylvanians. I have not met many people from West Virginia or Ohio. There are plenty from those two states who commute though. Most of the people I meet living in the Pittsburgh area are from rural western Pennsylvania. I've met some people from Virginia and New York, but it's rare.

Columbus, OH as plenty of natives too, but a good portion of its population comes from the surrounding states and other Ohio counties.

It's good to have a good mixture between natives and non-natives. The Pittsburgh region is a bit provincial in attitude. Wander into small of the small towns with an out of state plate and people will stare at you. Friends of friends get hired more often than the most qualified, especially in the school districts. But on the positive side, there is a strong sense of community.

But the Columbus area does seem friendlier overall. It seems more progressive and open to outsiders and other ideas.

Where I lived in Florida for a brief time was a mess. The majority of the population was from somewhere else (can't complain, I was from somewhere else too) and in the winter time, snowbirds invaded the area. I found both sets of population to be rude and felt bad for the few natives who were trying to live their lives peacefully.

So sometimes too many transplants is a bad thing.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:06 AM

3,144 posts, read 2,825,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallydude02 View Post
So sometimes too many transplants is a bad thing.
I don't even recognize parts of the South. It makes me sad. The authentic has been replaced by tourist and hipster kitsch. I remember when the sky was a clear blue, the Carolina blue. Years later I would drive in to work and look up to see the blue gone and a slight haze from pollution.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:19 AM

21,186 posts, read 30,343,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
Philly still is predominantly inhabited by Philly-area people (or if not, it feels that way). I view this as a good thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallydude02 View Post
The Pittsburgh area is mainly made up native Pennsylvanians. I have not met many people from West Virginia or Ohio. There are plenty from those two states who commute though. Most of the people I meet living in the Pittsburgh area are from rural western Pennsylvania. The Pittsburgh region is a bit provincial in attitude. Wander into small of the small towns with an out of state plate and people will stare at you. Friends of friends get hired more often than the most qualified, especially in the school districts. But on the positive side, there is a strong sense of community.
Pennsylvania as a whole tends quite provincial and given the presence of two major cities might rank as most provincial given similar states don't have the larger more populated cities, or more central location in terms of access to other major population centers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or