U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 04:38 PM

128 posts, read 168,760 times

Advertisements

Are there any nice cities that are not flooded with transplants? I live in Seattle and I think that Seattle is a nice city but I have noticed that Seattle has become a city that is now full of transplants. I'm not saying that it's a good or bad thing. However, it got me wanting to know if there are any nice cities that are not full of transplants?

When I think of cities that are full of transplants I think of these cities.......

Washington, D.C.
New York City
Chicago
Atlanta
Minneapolis
Seattle
Denver
Boston
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Dallas
Austin
Miami
And many other cities

When I think of cities that might not have as many or too many transplants I think of these cities......

Milwaukee
Cincinnati
Cleveland
New Orleans
Memphis
St. Louis
Indianapolis
Baltimore
Omaha
Portland, Maine
Providence, Rhode Island
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 04:59 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,156,117 times
That's a pretty accurate list, except I wouldn't say Minneapolis is full of transplants as much as the other cities you pointed out. From what I heard, Minneapolis is more provincial and insular, but I could be wrong.

Like you, I prefer provincial cities because of the unique identity and culture that is retained. Perhaps the MOST transplant oriented cities that you excluded from your list would be Phoenix, Charlotte, Raleigh, Columbus, Orlando and Las Vegas. Those cities are almost entirely made up of transplants. As a result, most people you meet are not "from" there, and you get culture clash, which is undesirable IMO. When culture clash occurs, the place doesn't quite have a unique identity and culture of its own. People are constantly moving in or moving out. Friends come and go a bit too much. The place is just transient; not settled and established.

Every city has some degree of transplants, of course. But some of them have retained their provincial identity. Examples include: Providence, Jacksonville, Wilmington, Hartford, Buffalo, Rochester, Albany, Syracuse, Cleveland, Cincinnati, St. Louis, New Orleans, Birmingham, Richmond, Memphis, Jackson, Detroit, Louisville, Milwaukee, etc. These are places in which only a few transplants come and go and there is a stronger sense of community cohesion.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:44 PM

128 posts, read 168,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
That's a pretty accurate list, except I wouldn't say Minneapolis is full of transplants as much as the other cities you pointed out. From what I heard, Minneapolis is more provincial and insular, but I could be wrong.

Like you, I prefer provincial cities because of the unique identity and culture that is retained. Perhaps the MOST transplant oriented cities that you excluded from your list would be Phoenix, Charlotte, Raleigh, Columbus, Orlando and Las Vegas. Those cities are almost entirely made up of transplants. As a result, most people you meet are not "from" there, and you get culture clash, which is undesirable IMO. When culture clash occurs, the place doesn't quite have a unique identity and culture of its own. People are constantly moving in or moving out. Friends come and go a bit too much. The place is just transient; not settled and established.

Every city has some degree of transplants, of course. But some of them have retained their provincial identity. Examples include: Providence, Jacksonville, Wilmington, Hartford, Buffalo, Rochester, Albany, Syracuse, Cleveland, Cincinnati, St. Louis, New Orleans, Birmingham, Richmond, Memphis, Jackson, Detroit, Louisville, Milwaukee, etc. These are places in which only a few transplants come and go and there is a stronger sense of community cohesion.
Thanks for the reply. Very well put!

Old 08-14-2014, 05:46 PM

3,584 posts, read 2,510,387 times
Go anywhere in CT and you'll find next to no transplants :-) lol

Old 08-14-2014, 06:00 PM

29,966 posts, read 27,480,324 times
Quote:

There are downsides to cities that haven't experienced an influx of transplants, too. It can be harder to break into circles due to more provincial, insular attitudes, and there can be a lack of dynamism which encourages creativity and innovation. A lot of slow-growth cities just seem to be treading water at this point because their moment in the sun came and went generations ago; sometimes lethargy and apathy set in as a result.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:40 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,270,062 times
Philly still is predominantly inhabited by Philly-area people (or if not, it feels that way). I view this as a good thing.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:29 PM

1,428 posts, read 2,101,754 times
Richmond is actually full of transplants now, speaking as one. It has changed the character of the city quite a bit, though I think for the better

Old 08-14-2014, 08:33 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,156,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
There are downsides to cities that haven't experienced an influx of transplants, too. It can be harder to break into circles due to more provincial, insular attitudes, and there can be a lack of dynamism which encourages creativity and innovation. A lot of slow-growth cities just seem to be treading water at this point because their moment in the sun came and went generations ago; sometimes lethargy and apathy set in as a result.
True, but I highly doubt that all of these transplant cities are going to develop a strong unique identity of their own in the same way that that many of the rustbelt cities have. That's because of modern day communication and travel. Today's growing transplant cities all essentially have similar culture and vibe.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:47 PM

9,451 posts, read 18,377,372 times
Quote:
Today's growing transplant cities all essentially have similar culture and vibe.
I'm going to have to disagree with you there. Seattle, Phoenix, Washington, DC, and Atlanta are all fast growing transplant heavy cities but they are very different culturally with very different vibes.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:21 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,836,675 times
Cold weather cities. Ones with harsh winters. Ones that no one wants to live in. Those are the cities with the most character and loyal residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or