U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 06:02 AM

21,189 posts, read 30,372,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
COL and a weak economy make being a snowbird or even wanting to pick up and go almost impossible. The days when people could freely move back and forth are gone. Even the camping/rv sites are either closing down, getting rid of long term camping, or charging incredibly high fees.
Another reason might have to do with the housing market crash where millions were left upside down on mortgages, many lost their higher paying jobs and/or a good portion of their retirement savings, and the cost of living as you pointed out as salaries have not kept pace with inflation. The RV sector has been hit hard because of the prohibitive cost to purchase for many, along with excessive gas prices. The same to a lesser degree has taken place in the vacation home sector where along with other luxury extras, people are streamlining their finances from the excesses.

Last edited by JMT; 08-18-2014 at 05:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 07:17 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,346,818 times
If I could pull off a snowbird lifestyle, I would like to live in Virginia Beach during the summer and live in New Mexico the rest of the year.

Last edited by JMT; 08-18-2014 at 05:14 PM..

Old 08-18-2014, 10:25 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,397,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
I would be a snowbird for two months of the year - January and February. I would have no desire to move outside of WI for more than those two months.
The lady and I are lucky enough to be retiring at a young age later this year. We haven't figured out yet exactly what we're going to do, but she hates long winters and we're going to test some options before a final decision. Her Aunt & Uncle do timeshares in the Keys for Jan/Feb, and that seems like it would be nice. As I get older, I can definitely see the benefit of getting out for a month or two during the harshest part of winter in Wisconsin. For a good 9-10 months, we both feel that Wisconsin is the best place for us in the country. I definitely wouldn't want to do half-and-half and miss out on the beautiful Fall season or everything blooming in Spring. I prefer both those seasons to Summer. We may end up just doing a vacation in Winter or a month or several months or maybe decide that we'd prefer to stay put.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:55 PM

12,334 posts, read 10,309,361 times
Yes, I plan on being a snowbird to the beautiful Med climates of Europe where I can reside for six months out of the year, year in year out. No worries about crazy arctic cold fronts that can bring single digit temps right to the Gulf Coast. There is a reason why Rome and Barcelona have much more variety of palm trees and citrus compared to the US South.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:12 PM

2,493 posts, read 2,194,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
No. When would I get any skiing done?

I have to agree with this one.
Like to escape winter for a week or two in late Jan or early Feb but then I'm ready to get back to skiing.
Have actually cancelled a beach vacation because of a big snow storm headed to Colorado.
Can not miss major powder days just to sit on a beach!

If I did not ski I could see escaping the short cold days of Dec and Jan, but spring and fall are great in Colorado.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:24 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,751,604 times
If I could, I would be the exact opposite of a snowbird. I would chase winter around the globe. I love winter. Fall is nice too. I'd stay here in Eastern WA from late September through early April, then spend the rest of the year in Tierra Del Fuego at the Southernmost end of South America. Or maybe Tasmania.

Of course this is a completely illogical pipe dream, but the heading of this thread does say "if you could".

Old 08-19-2014, 01:15 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 19 days ago)

10,485 posts, read 14,320,905 times
Nah, other than about six weeks out of the year I like the weather here just fine. If I were retired, lived at the lake and had a boat, that would probably drop to about three weeks of the year I don't care for lol.
OTOH, traveling just for the sake of traveling, I could get behind that idea!

Old 08-19-2014, 04:25 AM

15,006 posts, read 31,383,615 times
I wish I could go to a cooler climate (maybe Maine or Oregon) for August and Sept.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:40 PM

2,069 posts, read 2,199,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Yes, I plan on being a snowbird to the beautiful Med climates of Europe where I can reside for six months out of the year, year in year out. No worries about crazy arctic cold fronts that can bring single digit temps right to the Gulf Coast. There is a reason why Rome and Barcelona have much more variety of palm trees and citrus compared to the US South.
Attention all snowbirds! Please use caution, and take everything this person says with a grain of salt; he has an agenda against the US South, and everything associated with it, and will never give credit where it is due, whether it is the weather, the cities, the beaches, etc.

The truth is that the US South, especially the coastal portion, exhibits a warm subtropical climate similar to Northern India, and Eastern South Africa. That means it has the perfect combination of tropical-style summers with lots of rain AND lots of sunshine, and sunny, dry winters where temps can even reach the 80s. Outdoor activities can be done year round, people can live in the region without Summer A/C or Winter Heat, and all kinds of tropical/subtropical crops, be it papayas, mangoes, bananas, sugar cane, rice, citrus, etc can be grown to the point where commercial operations are viable, and can be done if more people pitch in. The fact that the poster said that Rome and Barcelona have more variety of palms than the US South, which includes South Florida (a TROPICAL climate outside of the TROPICS) proves that he has no idea what he is talking about. Many locations in the South, such as the Texas barrier islands, and peninsular Florida, all can grow tall, healthy coconut palms that FRUIT, something Mediterranean locations of Europe and even North Africa wish they could do.

Old 08-19-2014, 02:19 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,397,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Attention all snowbirds! Please use caution, and take everything this person says with a grain of salt; he has an agenda against the US South, and everything associated with it, and will never give credit where it is due, whether it is the weather, the cities, the beaches, etc.
Haha, and your viewpoint is "fair and balanced," I suppose?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or