U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-16-2014, 11:16 AM
 
9,472 posts, read 5,902,811 times
Reputation: 2162

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
It's amazing that I lived in Chicago for 46 years and never once was shot. I have family that has lived in the city for four generations, and lives there still, and not one has ever been shot.

You know not of what you speak.
45 years in that city is enough to make people insane. Small wonder they're shooting each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-16-2014, 11:19 AM
 
11,780 posts, read 8,590,845 times
Reputation: 3425
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
So define "vibrant".
More or less it would be a city that is energetic, exciting, dynamic, stimulating, lively, with things to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2014, 11:22 AM
 
10,914 posts, read 6,100,838 times
Reputation: 5892
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
45 years in that city is enough to make people insane. Small wonder they're shooting each other.
Sigh. The point is they're NOT all "shooting each other."

Chicago is a vibrant, tourist friendly city with a beautiful downtown and lake front, lots of culture, restaurants, stores and nightlife. It is a great place to visit. But I don't expect the people here on C-D who enjoy bashing Chicago for political reasons to admit it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2014, 11:28 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
14,375 posts, read 7,961,270 times
Reputation: 6636
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Lol, of course you do - most people wouldn't.
Those are all basically included in the LA metro. Manhattan beach is what, 20 minutes from LA?
That's like saying South Central is the same as Beverly Hills, because they're only minutes apart.

Actually, the point was the destination not the relativity. The South Bay is a different world than LA metro. It's cooler with the sea breezes, and people are more laid back. I'd put Santa Monica Blvd up against Hollywood Blvd any day.

Let's face it. When a tourist comes to LA, they're basically going to Buena Park, Anaheim, and Hollyweird.

If I am a tourist, the last place I want to visit is where all the tourists go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2014, 11:32 AM
 
9,472 posts, read 5,902,811 times
Reputation: 2162
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
More or less it would be a city that is energetic, exciting, dynamic, stimulating, lively, with things to do.
Uhhhh... That's pretty open ended.

I find that description fits this: Oregon Back Country Discovery

Having been to a lot of Chicago, I'd say my description fits it amazingly well. You cannot imagine how incredibly depressing most of the town is. Try Maywood, Cicero, West Woodlawn. Drive the length of Diversy... Drive from Stevenson to Kennedy on Cicero, and tell me you don't feel utterly hopeless and in despair by the time you've finished.

It is gutwrenchingly awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2014, 11:33 AM
 
11,639 posts, read 5,929,967 times
Reputation: 1695
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Sigh. The point is they're NOT all "shooting each other."

Chicago is a vibrant, tourist friendly city with a beautiful downtown and lake front, lots of culture, restaurants, stores and nightlife. It is a great place to visit. But I don't expect the people here on C-D who enjoy bashing Chicago for political reasons to admit it.
The people in Chicago are like rats in a race.

A whole city of grabbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2014, 11:35 AM
 
9,472 posts, read 5,902,811 times
Reputation: 2162
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Sigh. The point is they're NOT all "shooting each other."

Chicago is a vibrant, tourist friendly city with a beautiful downtown and lake front, lots of culture, restaurants, stores and nightlife. It is a great place to visit. But I don't expect the people here on C-D who enjoy bashing Chicago for political reasons to admit it.

Beautiful downtown?

It's a mass of gray concrete, brick, rust, and ugly, with insane drivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2014, 11:42 AM
 
11,780 posts, read 8,590,845 times
Reputation: 3425
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Uhhhh... That's pretty open ended.

I find that description fits this: Oregon Back Country Discovery
My guess is OP wouldn't meet many women on a trail or in the back country. I mean, if OP thought Minnetonka was slow sending him to the country is going to be even worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Having been to a lot of Chicago, I'd say my description fits it amazingly well. You cannot imagine how incredibly depressing most of the town is. Try Maywood, Cicero, West Woodlawn. Drive the length of Diversy... Drive from Stevenson to Kennedy on Cicero, and tell me you don't feel utterly hopeless and in despair by the time you've finished.

It is gutwrenchingly awful.
It's not NYC, but there still a ton of stuff to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2014, 11:42 AM
 
11,639 posts, read 5,929,967 times
Reputation: 1695
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Beautiful downtown?

It's a mass of gray concrete, brick, rust, and ugly, with insane drivers.
I was in Chicago once; I saw all that, and the ugly black water towers on every roof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2014, 11:44 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
14,375 posts, read 7,961,270 times
Reputation: 6636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
I was in Chicago once; I saw all that, and the ugly black water towers on every roof.
All of the major eastern cities have those towers, including New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top