Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 07:38 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeshua View Post
I mean, I stayed in Minneapolis-St Paul. I lived in Plymouth and then moved to Bloomington (1 minute) to Mall of America.

I just needed fun and it was so hard to find. I'm writing this with an idea of trying to make friends before I come back. Would love to visit Minneapolis again, I love the people.
Bloomington and MoA are pretty ho-hum in my book. There are definitely cities in the Midwest and the rest of the country that are faster-paced. You may want to look into those cities that have been suggested (Chicago, NYC, DC, LA, SF) when returning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 03:24 AM

164 posts, read 256,957 times
Man, foreigners are weird folk.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:52 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Quote:
I mean, I stayed in Minneapolis-St Paul. I lived in Plymouth and then moved to Bloomington (1 minute) to Mall of America.

I just needed fun and it was so hard to find. I'm writing this with an idea of trying to make friends before I come back. Would love to visit Minneapolis again, I love the people.
What do you like to do?

Meet single African women? You had options in the Twin Cities, no doubt, but maybe you need to go to a city with an even larger African population? If so, DC immediately comes to mind, as I believe it has one of the largest African populations in the country. If you don't care who you meet or where they're from, I can't think of what else is out there that you can't experience in the Twin Cities (besides an ocean or mountains). That's not to say that if you can't find nightlife there exciting that you won't find it exciting anywhere (many places cater more to that lifestyle more than the TCs), but many of the options you may have wanted probably already existed and you didn't know about it. I could be wrong, but it really depends on what specifically you want in a place.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:22 AM

66 posts, read 67,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
What do you like to do?

Meet single African women? You had options in the Twin Cities, no doubt, but maybe you need to go to a city with an even larger African population? If so, DC immediately comes to mind, as I believe it has one of the largest African populations in the country. If you don't care who you meet or where they're from, I can't think of what else is out there that you can't experience in the Twin Cities (besides an ocean or mountains). That's not to say that if you can't find nightlife there exciting that you won't find it exciting anywhere (many places cater more to that lifestyle more than the TCs), but many of the options you may have wanted probably already existed and you didn't know about it. I could be wrong, but it really depends on what specifically you want in a place.
I lacked companionship, I should say.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:39 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
I lacked companionship, I should say.
you should get a goldfish

Old 08-18-2014, 09:41 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Sorry, but I don't think MN is a good indication of how most Americans live.
Not to mention, they talk real funny up there, especially with their O's "ooooo"
And what is up, with that weather
The Twin Cities suburbs (where i live) seems to be typical American lifestyle [in my opinion]. yes i agree we may not have as much of a General American accent as someone from Kansas but other than that its all typical American culture up here.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:17 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,050,755 times
Quote:
You can say this again and again. It was boring to me. I do not want to visit that place again. Imagine I came from Mozambique in Africa, straight into Minnesota.
You do realize that tens of thousands of Africans have successfully made the transition. Many of them are beginning to prosper, and their numbers are growing yearly. So if the issue is culture shock (Mozambique to Minnesota), you will find that anywhere you go in The United States.

You will find that virtually all states have rural areas which might be classified as "boring". Given that you were an international traveller who spent time in no other state, you must certainly have arrived here at the The Minneapolis- St Paul international Airport. Yet, you make reference only to a couple of Central Minnesota cities and a couple of suburbs which are nowhere near the airport--which is a brief train ride into Downtown Minneapolis. Clearly you made no efforts to alleviate any boredom you may have felt by actually going into the city.

Minneapolis is twice the size of, and considerably more cosmopolitan, than Maputo (Mozambique's largest city). Given that, it's hard to understand how anyone could consider the former more boring than the latter.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:48 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,528,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Sorry, but I don't think MN is a good indication of how most Americans live.
Not to mention, they talk real funny up there, especially with their O's "ooooo"
And what is up, with that weather
I think across the USA we all know the Southern stereotypes! Maybe not, though, I thought y'all were supposed to be polite

Old 08-18-2014, 11:22 AM

66 posts, read 67,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
You do realize that tens of thousands of Africans have successfully made the transition. Many of them are beginning to prosper, and their numbers are growing yearly. So if the issue is culture shock (Mozambique to Minnesota), you will find that anywhere you go in The United States.

You will find that virtually all states have rural areas which might be classified as "boring". Given that you were an international traveller who spent time in no other state, you must certainly have arrived here at the The Minneapolis- St Paul international Airport. Yet, you make reference only to a couple of Central Minnesota cities and a couple of suburbs which are nowhere near the airport--which is a brief train ride into Downtown Minneapolis. Clearly you made no efforts to alleviate any boredom you may have felt by actually going into the city.

Minneapolis is twice the size of, and considerably more cosmopolitan, than Maputo (Mozambique's largest city). Given that, it's hard to understand how anyone could consider the former more boring than the latter.
Now at least one knows my city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.