U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 10:57 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,705,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPortCity View Post
This may come off as a dull topic but i'm just wondering what's next for us and even for the world? I can't really explain what i'm saying but it's just when is America gonna start building new infrastructure and have all these new modern types of buildings, bridges and railways like high speed rail. It was just a thought
Cities are constantly building new infrastructure, even back during the recession they still did.

Plenty of new buildings, bridges and light rail are being built where i live... we aren't building a high speed rail currently because most people around here travel by car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 07:46 AM

9,418 posts, read 5,238,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apm193 View Post
I think the main reason that we don't see HSR is because for most city pairs, flying is more economical. The only market that HSR could really work economically would be the northeast corridor, which already has acela express. Florida and Texas could possibly work, but both states have very competitive airline markets. Both states also have very spread out metro areas, meaning HSR routes will need multiple stations, car rentals, and taxis/limos. Its not like in the NE where you can just build one station in each city.
Only a small portion of the Acela Express is considered high speed and even that is slow compared to other countries.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:53 AM

5,991 posts, read 8,311,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Because unwinnable, neverending wars are more important.
Unfortunately it's BIG business to support such endeavors.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:01 AM

21,318 posts, read 21,872,221 times
Quote:
I'm just thinking that all this money being spent in our budget why not some for high speed rail or something like that.
you are on the right track, but not everyone has a train so it would be very expensive to distribute these to everyone who wanted one, cars are much cheaper and many people already have one. Give cars to those people that need one and raise the speed limits to 100 mph...high speed transportation...problem solved.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:46 PM

12,332 posts, read 10,298,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I think first our government needs to go to China and ask for a loan, then if that don't work then they can print the money. After they get their hands on some more "monopoly money" then they can build new infrastructure, at least until the world figures out our economy is a Ponzi scam and calls home all the loans, which of course we cant pay. Our real national future: Bankrupcy, depression and civil unrest, followed by the dissolution of our union. Our debt spending has doomed this nation.
New nations will form out of the old. Smaller more efficient nations without millions and millions of people to try and run a govt with. Hopefully the Mid-Atlantic and New England will petition to join the EU as former British Colonies or maybe the Commonwealth, and become much more like Canada and Australia. Free at last from the shackles of the Lost Cause Confederate traitors that have doomed this nation from the beginning.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:48 PM

12,332 posts, read 10,298,159 times
Quote:
I'm just thinking that all this money being spent in our budget why not some for high speed rail or something like that.

Because you live in one of the reddest of the red states where the Fed Govt and all it stands for is hated and reviled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or