U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-18-2014, 06:02 PM
 
Location: northern Vermont - previously NM, WA, & MA
9,422 posts, read 18,316,727 times
Reputation: 11902

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazziecatz View Post
Ok well the pro's of the southwest are seeming to outweigh the cons of not very walkable. I'm considering going to College in the southwest and would like to eventually move there.
If you're considering University of Arizona, Tucson is walkable in parts. They have a new streetcar connecting the campus to 4th Ave (funky/walkable retail area) and downtown which is improving. Tucson definitely has an atmosphere with a considerable amount of walkable blocks between downtown and the campus. I would find living in any Southwestern city without a car difficult, but as a college student either Tempe and Tucson would be doable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-18-2014, 06:36 PM
 
Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon
15,504 posts, read 17,720,777 times
Reputation: 30796
Albuquerque is doable. I have lived carless for the last eight years or so, but I live right on the Central corridor. Public transportation is good in some parts of town, but not in some of the far-flung sprawly residential areas.

Oh, and while it can get quite hot in the summer, temps in the 90s are pretty normal, it is not too sweaty. Actually sunscreen and long sleeves are the bigger hassle.

In reference to what cacto said, Phoenix may be year round summer, but in Albuquerque we get dead leaves and turtlenecks are useful for several months out of the year. We have 4 seasons, summer is a significant one, but that doesn't mean you won't be waking up to sub-freezing temperatures for about five months of the year, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2014, 09:37 AM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 23,274,499 times
Reputation: 10428
Denver, if you you consider it "southwest". There is definitely Southwest influence here. I consider it to be the northeastern corner of the Southwest lol! You see adobe/stucco homes, a lot of southwestern art, and cactus/yucca grows here very well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2014, 12:47 PM
 
25 posts, read 28,543 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Denver, if you you consider it "southwest". There is definitely Southwest influence here. I consider it to be the northeastern corner of the Southwest lol! You see adobe/stucco homes, a lot of southwestern art, and cactus/yucca grows here very well.
Denver, eh not too much for me. I like the southwest because of the desert, the large conservative population, the mexican and indian culture and the gun laws. Denver doesn't really do it for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2014, 12:58 PM
 
Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon
15,504 posts, read 17,720,777 times
Reputation: 30796
Well, overall, New Mexico is not all that conservative. It's not all that liberal either except a good portion of Albuquerque, most of Santa Fe and pockets of rural areas, but in general I would say it is squarely Democrat with a libertarian streak, and a big dose of Catholicism.

There are a lot of people who are anti-abortion and pro-2nd ammendment, but just LOOOOOVE their welfare, big government nanny state politics.

However, you will find a lot of people in New Mexico visit the Co-op (hippie grocery store) and the gun range.

The Texan-like towns on the eastern plains are pretty traditional conservative, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2014, 02:32 PM
 
25 posts, read 28,543 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Well, overall, New Mexico is not all that conservative. It's not all that liberal either except a good portion of Albuquerque, most of Santa Fe and pockets of rural areas, but in general I would say it is squarely Democrat with a libertarian streak, and a big dose of Catholicism.

There are a lot of people who are anti-abortion and pro-2nd ammendment, but just LOOOOOVE their welfare, big government nanny state politics.

However, you will find a lot of people in New Mexico visit the Co-op (hippie grocery store) and the gun range.

The Texan-like towns on the eastern plains are pretty traditional conservative, though.
Well I'm moderately right not far right so Alberquerque sounds just fine to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2014, 06:22 PM
 
Location: northern Vermont - previously NM, WA, & MA
9,422 posts, read 18,316,727 times
Reputation: 11902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazziecatz View Post
Well I'm moderately right not far right so Alberquerque sounds just fine to me.
I'm gay, lean mostly left, but have Republican friends here in Albuquerque that I get along with just fine and even understand their point of view from time to time. We both have an understanding that most politicians are the LCD either way. Nonetheless, I don't encounter the vehement political divides or extremes here that's found in many other states. It's definitely something to be appreciated, seriously who needs that? However our neighboring states like to make a lot of noise.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 08-19-2014 at 06:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2014, 06:35 PM
 
25 posts, read 28,543 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
I'm gay, lean mostly left, but have Republican friends here in Albuquerque that I get along with just fine and even understand their point of view from time to time. We both have an understanding that most politicians are the LCD either way. Nonetheless, I don't encounter the vehement political divides or extremes here that's found in many other states. It's definitely something to be appreciated, seriously who needs that? However our neighboring states like to make a lot of noise.
Then that sounds like exactly what I'm looking for
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top