U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 09:02 AM

140 posts, read 149,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
What career field will you be looking to get into? Do you prefer certain regions over others? Weather preference?
I will be working in information systems, specifically data analytics. I would prefer warmer weather over colder, but I could adapt to a Minneapolis-style winter for the right combination of factors.

These are great suggestions so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 09:06 AM

43,325 posts, read 41,880,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Is this the case for the whole city or just in certain parts?
Everywhere, including the desirable surrounding suburbs.

Whether renting:

Nashville rental rates show no sign of slowing down

Or buying:

Nashville Public Radio | Hot Home Sales In Nashville Mean Sellers

If it's NOT happening in a certain area, you wouldn't want to live there anyway.

And the city does have more than its share of transplants:

http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashvi...nt?oid=4212477

Old 08-18-2014, 09:37 AM

338 posts, read 361,789 times
Pittsburgh covers every request you have.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:54 AM

56,656 posts, read 80,952,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Everywhere, including the desirable surrounding suburbs.

Whether renting:

Nashville rental rates show no sign of slowing down

Or buying:

Nashville Public Radio | Hot Home Sales In Nashville Mean Sellers

If it's NOT happening in a certain area, you wouldn't want to live there anyway.

And the city does have more than its share of transplants:

http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashvi...nt?oid=4212477
I knew about the transplants, but I didn't know about the home prices going up like that. Thanks for the good info.

I wonder if Knoxville would be a good choice.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-18-2014 at 11:05 AM..

Old 08-18-2014, 11:14 AM

140 posts, read 149,985 times
Anyone know how Greenville (SC), Chattanooga, Salt Lake City, San Antonio, or Richmond (VA) could fit into these criteria? Just places I had been vaguely looking into that have not been mentioned yet.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:25 PM

43,325 posts, read 41,880,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinginjune2010 View Post
Anyone know how Greenville (SC), Chattanooga, Salt Lake City, San Antonio, or Richmond (VA) could fit into these criteria? Just places I had been vaguely looking into that have not been mentioned yet.
Chattanooga (and Knoxville) have a long way to go in the restaurant dept.

They would fit the other criteria, though.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:18 PM

1,366 posts, read 2,733,299 times
Have you considered Tulsa?

Our cost of living is pretty low and our unemployment rate is below 5%. Most homes in the MSA are under 150k. The median rent is just over $700/mo. The restaurant space is good with more Mediteranean and Asian restaurants opening. Tulsa is not dominated by chain restaurants so there is always a great local alternative for lunch or dinner nearby. About half the bars downtown squeeze their own juices for cocktails which is a start in the right direction. Tulsa also received the largest public park endowment in US history last week for 350 million dollars for the new "Gathering Place" just south of downtown. http://www.tulsaworld.com/newshomepa...1abd8d474.html

The geography is trees, hills and decent soil, not flat with red dirt. Our music scene is getting better and our local arena, the BOK Center, has been nominated for the Pollstar awards for best arena every year since it opened (we always lose though). It does that without a major league sports team to help prop up sales and amenities. Pollstar Awards Archive

I will admit it can have miserable humidity but it isn't like Houston or Dallas. When it does arrive, it is just from June to August. We do have four seasons and it has snowed all four winters I've lived here. Granted, town shuts down when it snows but more because our officials haven't completely figured out when to call for plows and when not to. It reminds me of Denver where the snow arrives but melts soon after.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:33 PM

13,238 posts, read 24,433,481 times
Omaha?

Old 08-18-2014, 09:29 PM

1,366 posts, read 2,733,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Omaha?
How is the food scene in Omaha? It meets the other three criteria.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:09 PM

13,238 posts, read 24,433,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
How is the food scene in Omaha? It meets the other three criteria.
Beats me, but I figured it was a good guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or