U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2014, 06:49 AM

1 posts, read 771 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I have a choice to select between new work locations Orange, CA and Plano, TX. the work at both locations are new and challenging.

I need to decide between the 2 locations. I see that Orange, CA is way too expensive w.r.t. the accommodation. I would like to know which would be a good place to move in considering all the options such as saving money, and cost of living and standard of living.

Please do help me out with the selection.

Thanks in Advance

NottyHead
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 08:53 AM

363 posts, read 368,578 times
We'll need more details on your preferences. What does standard of living mean to you? How much do you value weather and landscape? Is the pay very different to justify the higher COL in OC?
Both are very similar (I am comparing Irvine with Plano and not the entire OC) - cookie cutter homes, good schools, quintessential suburban living. The COL, weather, landscape and accessibility to other major cities and recreation are the major differences.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:24 PM

14,174 posts, read 23,313,296 times
I lived in Orange for many years... and at times traveled to Plano for work. I don't care much for Texas, but if you can put up with the intense heat and humidity for half the year, Plano is much cheaper.

Orange is a perfect climate, IMO. Plus with its central location, you have access to so much more, compared to Plano. Not that Dallas is a cultural wasteland, but it's a rather distinct culture.

If you want to buy a 2 bdr. condo in Orange, it'll cost you probably at least $300K. A decent apartment would probably be at least $1500 a month. So that right there might make the decision for you. I don't know specifically what rent/home prices are in Plano, but from what I've seen on Househunters, you could probably get a 4 bdr. house on a quarter acre in Plano for cheaper.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:29 PM

1,400 posts, read 2,289,513 times
RUN fast to TX!!!!!

Old 08-18-2014, 03:16 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,230,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I lived in Orange for many years... and at times traveled to Plano for work. I don't care much for Texas, but if you can put up with the intense heat and humidity for half the year, Plano is much cheaper.

Orange is a perfect climate, IMO. Plus with its central location, you have access to so much more, compared to Plano. Not that Dallas is a cultural wasteland, but it's a rather distinct culture.

If you want to buy a 2 bdr. condo in Orange, it'll cost you probably at least $300K. A decent apartment would probably be at least $1500 a month. So that right there might make the decision for you. I don't know specifically what rent/home prices are in Plano, but from what I've seen on Househunters, you could probably get a 4 bdr. house on a quarter acre in Plano for cheaper.
What do you mean by that?

Old 08-18-2014, 03:26 PM

7 posts, read 8,331 times
If your major consideration is the COL, then go with Plano, Tx. You might also check out the other surrounding areas like -- Carrollton, Frisco, Richardson, Allen and Flower Mound/Lewisville. All of those areas have good restaurants, shopping malls, highly-rated public schools, so on. Actually, so many out-of-staters (especially from CA) are moving to the major Texas cities mainly because of the lower COL.

If you don't like the intense heat, then you should go with Orange. it also has excellent amenities like those of Plano, but the weather is pretty much better.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:36 PM

14,174 posts, read 23,313,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
What do you mean by that?
lol! Well, maybe I was a bit harsh. I lived in San Antonio for a couple years and the Texas culture is a bit much for some of us "outsiders". But Dallas has all the standard big city cultural things anyone could want. Just no beach, beach culture, or the excitement of L.A. (that I miss!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.