U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 10:29 PM

12,636 posts, read 10,483,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I've been to multiple Six Flags Amusement Parks and your assessment of Cedar Point is irritating, to be honest. I'm not sure what your experience was but what exactly were you expecting? Is Six Flags in Philly some wonderland of amusement that I've never heard of? Is there a Six Flags in Philly? Normally you have very insightful and interesting posts but I don't get this one.

Sincerely,
A Fan

P.S. Wisconsin Dells is a FUN TIME! I like it more than Cedar Point and I guess I'm glad it's a regional thing because it's already swarming with the 20 million people that live within 3-4 hours of it. I've never seen something else like it in America thus far.
The closest Six Flags to Philly is Great Adventure in Jackson, NJ. It has (last I checked) the world's tallest and fastest roller coaster, Kingda Ka, and its newer ride, built up along the side of Kingda Ka, what I believe is also the world's faster and tallest free fall drop ride or something. It takes you up almost as high as the roller coaster and suddenly drops you. Apparently you can see Philly's skyline from its top and I've heard rumors that on a clear day you can see New York's too.

I have definitely heard of Cedar Point but I have never been there. Six Flags Great Adventure is sort of iconic though, at this point at least with Kingda Ka and the new drop ride. Crazy stuff, I would never go on either but they're cool to watch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 11:38 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,328,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
I've heard of it but then I have no interest since it is probably only warm there one month a year.
It's warm there (as in warm enough to enjoy the outside waterparks) about 3-4 months out of the year. However, they also have large indoor waterparks which are open all year round. Don't know of any with a wave pool, though (my favorite waterpark attraction!)

Old 08-19-2014, 05:30 AM

2,601 posts, read 4,069,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
It's warm there (as in warm enough to enjoy the outside waterparks) about 3-4 months out of the year. However, they also have large indoor waterparks which are open all year round. Don't know of any with a wave pool, though (my favorite waterpark attraction!)
Noah's Ark has a wave pool, and just about everything else.

https://www.noahsarkwaterpark.com/th...do/attractions

Old 08-19-2014, 06:19 AM

87 posts, read 68,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
The closest Six Flags to Philly is Great Adventure in Jackson, NJ. It has (last I checked) the world's tallest and fastest roller coaster, Kingda Ka, and its newer ride, built up along the side of Kingda Ka, what I believe is also the world's faster and tallest free fall drop ride or something. It takes you up almost as high as the roller coaster and suddenly drops you. Apparently you can see Philly's skyline from its top and I've heard rumors that on a clear day you can see New York's too.

I have definitely heard of Cedar Point but I have never been there. Six Flags Great Adventure is sort of iconic though, at this point at least with Kingda Ka and the new drop ride. Crazy stuff, I would never go on either but they're cool to watch.
Ive been on Kingda Ka and it really isnt all that great, the only good part of the ride is the take off. You would be surprised but Great Adventure is really not that popular outside of the Northeast (not like Cedar Point or Busch Gardens). I find all Six Flags parks, with the exception of a few, are really regional parks that cater to a local clientele.

And you CAN see the Philly skyline from the top of Kingda Ka, kind of crazy!!

Old 08-19-2014, 06:20 AM

87 posts, read 68,757 times
I have heard of the Wisconsin Dells but only because there was a Travel Channel special on them.

Old 08-19-2014, 06:51 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,394,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padajo View Post
I find all Six Flags parks, with the exception of a few, are really regional parks that cater to a local clientele.
Yup! And I agree that the Dells area is already swarming with too many people as it is - it's well over a billion dollar annual tourist industry located out in the middle of nowhere. It's a Vegas/Disney style vacation, the type that interests me little. You can get some super cheap off-season deals on parks and hotels, so we occasionally run over there for that when it's far less busy and use it as home base for trips into the neighboring Driftless area. But middle of summer is unbearable. Very beautiful area, basically ruined in my mind.

Old 08-19-2014, 06:54 AM

4,988 posts, read 7,303,015 times
Never heard of either area....

Old 08-19-2014, 07:05 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,143,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I've been to multiple Six Flags Amusement Parks and your assessment of Cedar Point is irritating, to be honest. I'm not sure what your experience was but what exactly were you expecting? Is Six Flags in Philly some wonderland of amusement that I've never heard of? Is there a Six Flags in Philly? Normally you have very insightful and interesting posts but I don't get this one.

Sincerely,
A Fan

P.S. Wisconsin Dells is a FUN TIME! I like it more than Cedar Point and I guess I'm glad it's a regional thing because it's already swarming with the 20 million people that live within 3-4 hours of it. I've never seen something else like it in America thus far.
Yes Six flags Great Adventure in Jackson NJ - it is the 6 Flags for Philly and NYC (basically in the middle about an hour from both) - actually according to this link it i the largest amusement park in the world which sort of makes sense as there is like 45 million people within 2 hours of it.

Six Flags Great Adventure - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://www.sixflags.com/greatadventure

There is also Dorney Park in Allentown (about an hour from both Philly and NYC also, Hershey Park (a little over an hour from Philly also within 2 hours of NYC, DC, and Baltimore which is a very nice amusement park actually) and a smaller one called Clementon in NJ about 20 minutes from Philly) - no shortage of amusement parks not to mention places like Wildwood (Which I believe has more amusements on its boardwalk than any single amusement park in the US) or Ocean City NJ that have tons of rides.

https://www.dorneypark.com/

Hersheypark - featuring 12 coasters and The Boardwalk at Hersheypark!

https://www.clementonpark.com/

I am not a huge Amusement park guy either way but the park seems nicer not sure if there are more or less roller coasters when compared to Cedar Point. I was at Cedar point two summers ago and didn't find the park terribly appealing aesthetically (cool location on the point though)

Am sure the Dells is cool, I think with all the hype for Cedar Point I expected more from the aesthetics I suppose

Old 08-19-2014, 07:40 AM

6,849 posts, read 7,795,643 times
When I was 13 or so, my family took a cross country trip in our car. After we crossed the line from Illinois to Wisconsin, we began seeing roadside advertisements for the Wisconsin Dells. That was the first and only time I ever heard of them. I have never heard any friends or family mention them either. So to answer the OP, I would conclude they are not known throughout America but must be recognized only regionally.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:34 AM

12,636 posts, read 10,483,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padajo View Post
Ive been on Kingda Ka and it really isnt all that great, the only good part of the ride is the take off. You would be surprised but Great Adventure is really not that popular outside of the Northeast (not like Cedar Point or Busch Gardens). I find all Six Flags parks, with the exception of a few, are really regional parks that cater to a local clientele.

And you CAN see the Philly skyline from the top of Kingda Ka, kind of crazy!!
I don't like rides so I've never been on KK. I'm sure Great Adventure isn't popular outside the northeast, but I do think it is probably known at least for KK and maybe the new drop ride, especially to any hardcore ride enthusiasts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or