U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 07:55 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,396,652 times

Advertisements

Yeah, the Zuckers (Airplane/Naked Gun) are from Milwaukee and have been making some OK ads lately. They seem to appeal more to in-state than out-of-state for some reason (using local sports stars and coaches), so I still feel they miss the target. Wisconsinites already vacation a lot in-state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
^ I've spent time on both the wisconsin and michigan sides being in Chicago, a lot of time. I believe there is actually a lot more tourists and vacation activity in Michigan compared to Wisconsin. Not saying one is better than the other, but the Michigan side is way more developed as a vacation/summer destination right along the lake.
Between Door/Kewaunee county and Sheboygan (one of the top golf destinations in the country) and Milwaukee metro, there clearly are more tourists drawn to the Western side of the lake than the eastern side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 08:14 AM

9,701 posts, read 7,248,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Y
Between Door/Kewaunee county and Sheboygan (one of the top golf destinations in the country) and Milwaukee metro, there clearly are more tourists drawn to the Western side of the lake than the eastern side.
And this is clearly not true.

Who knew that Milwaukee was now a beach resort town?

Old 08-21-2014, 11:47 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,987 posts, read 41,947,535 times
few people here have heard of the Dells, only heard of them from taking a road trip & Amtrak trip through that area.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:49 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Yup, lots of the resorts have employees from eastern europe working because they kind hire enough locals.
Go to Yellowstone / Grand Teton National Parks. The entire staff of the park businesses are from across the world (and a few from parts of the US). There aren't many locals, and the locals that are there already have decent jobs or wouldn't interested in a seasonal job.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:56 AM

38,690 posts, read 89,187,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Wisconsin sits wedged between the 10 million Chicagolanders and some 4 million residents of the Twin Cities...they don't really have to advertise to reach those two markets. From Lake Geneva in the south to the North Woods, the state is loaded with Chicago visitors without any need to advertise.
Uhm... there are Wisconsin tourism ads in the Chicago market all the time.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Uhm... there are Wisconsin tourism ads in the Chicago market all the time.
And similarly, the NYC subway / commuter trains have New Hampshire tourism ads all the time. As well as some other regional locations advertised.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:30 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,218,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Sandusky is more well known, and growing up in Iowa I had at least heard of "The Dells", but I think the pull and knowledge is much more regional than some sort of nationwide recognition. The Dells area is great for camping and is very beautiful.

Sandusky is better known as Cedar Point Amusement Park. It attracts people from the eastern Midwest, Pennsylvania and Western NY State.

Heard of Wisconsin Dells. Never knew what it was until now.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:41 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,152,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
When I was a kid we visited the Dells a few times...before the age of waterparks. It was more about camping and boat rides and miniature golf. It is a beautiful area with great hiking, particularly in nearby Devil's Lake State Park

http://www.mountainproject.com/image...rge_3f5813.jpg
That picture is gorgeous. I really need to spend some time in the upper MW/upper GL area - MI (esp the UPI) and this look amazing

Old 08-21-2014, 06:14 PM

4,471 posts, read 7,288,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
That picture is gorgeous. I really need to spend some time in the upper MW/upper GL area - MI (esp the UPI) and this look amazing
You'll also find views like that along the western border with Minnesota and Iowa. Particularly along the Great River Road. It's an absolutely amazing drive. Personally, I've driven it from La Crosse to Prairie du Chien.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:18 PM

5,550 posts, read 6,979,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
I wish that Wisconsin as a whole would advertise their tourist attractions more. I live in Michigan and we never hear much of anything about Wisconsin over here, but I have heard from a family member who visited the Dells that they are beautiful. Honestly, even though we live in the Great Lakes/Upper Midwest region, I don't know if I would even know about the Dells if that family member had not gone there years ago.

Wisconsin seems like such a pretty, unspoiled state, and you have the western coast of Lake Michigan. Is there anything for Wisconsin tourism akin to the Pure Michigan brand? Whoever thought that up was a genius. Tourism here is absolutely booming!

Even worse, most people in Michigan have never heard of the Great America amusement park north of Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or