Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 04:35 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,278,040 times

Advertisements

If it matters? I live in central Pennsylvania. A local bus company offered a few day bus vacation trip to Wisconsin Dells. But I don't think most people outside of the Midwest, are that familiar with the Dells.? I was because I lived in Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 10:18 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
I only knew about it when I went to Chicago.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:48 PM

3,759 posts, read 5,853,701 times
I am from West TX , and the first time I heard about it was when my parents vacationed up in that area and showed us the pics. That was about 15 years ago. Went to Minne-St. Paul in 08 and enjoyed ourselves and would have liked to explore Wisc. more but we didn't have the time. About the only thing we knew about Wisc. was the Packers and "Sewing with Nancy". LOL

Old 09-30-2014, 05:44 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Even worse, most people in Michigan have never heard of the Great America amusement park north of Chicago.
Most people in Michigan are a bit closer to Cedar Point than Great America.

Old 10-03-2014, 11:41 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
I wish that Wisconsin as a whole would advertise their tourist attractions more. I live in Michigan and we never hear much of anything about Wisconsin over here, but I have heard from a family member who visited the Dells that they are beautiful. Honestly, even though we live in the Great Lakes/Upper Midwest region, I don't know if I would even know about the Dells if that family member had not gone there years ago.

Wisconsin seems like such a pretty, unspoiled state, and you have the western coast of Lake Michigan. Is there anything for Wisconsin tourism akin to the Pure Michigan brand? Whoever thought that up was a genius. Tourism here is absolutely booming!
you're right about wisconsin and its attractions. a beautiful state. unfortunately the lake michigan shoreline can't compete with what michigan offers across the lake. unlike michigan, the shoreline areas are much flatter and much more boring, particularly once you get north of milwaukee (which has a very scenic lakefront, backed up by bluffs).

the vast majority of the tourism, the resorts, the summer homes in Door County are not on the Lake Michigan shore of the peninsula but along the far more scenic Green Bay shore. contrast that with areas across the lake in michigan like the Mackinac area one down to petosky, cherveloix and traverse bay which are beautiful along lake michigan.

Old 10-03-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Wisconsin sits wedged between the 10 million Chicagolanders and some 4 million residents of the Twin Cities...they don't really have to advertise to reach those two markets. From Lake Geneva in the south to the North Woods, the state is loaded with Chicago visitors without any need to advertise.
Lake Geneva in particular. it is virtually a part of Chicagoland. Chicago dominates the place and it was Chicago $$$ that built the estates of this Newport-of-the-West. Lake Geneva comes across far more Chicago than it does Wisconsin.

Old 10-03-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
I first heard about it on The Weather Channel and wondered "dells, like The Farmer and the Dell?" since I assumed WI was just farmland and was known for its cheese (which still stands alone!). That said, most of the awarness comes from the Midwest, but also parts of central Canada (Manitoba/Western Ontario) based on where the posters on the Wisconsin Dells Forum at Trip Advisor are. As an East Coaster, I find it appealing for places in the Midwest due to the lack of big mountains nearby along with the indoor attractions for the non-summer months, but I'd only use it as a stopping point on a long trip to the Northwest.
it's actually a distortion of the word "dales"

Old 10-03-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Even worse, most people in Michigan have never heard of the Great America amusement park north of Chicago.
6 Flags is where it is for one reason: to serve the Chicago/Milwaukee market. In that respect, it isn't even regional as its market is basically the urbanized southwest shore of Lake Michigan.

Old 10-03-2014, 12:50 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,526,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
you're right about wisconsin and its attractions. a beautiful state. unfortunately the lake michigan shoreline can't compete with what michigan offers across the lake. unlike michigan, the shoreline areas are much flatter and much more boring, particularly once you get north of milwaukee (which has a very scenic lakefront, backed up by bluffs).

the vast majority of the tourism, the resorts, the summer homes in Door County are not on the Lake Michigan shore of the peninsula but along the far more scenic Green Bay shore. contrast that with areas across the lake in michigan like the Mackinac area one down to petosky, cherveloix and traverse bay which are beautiful along lake michigan.
There are summer homes throughout both sides of the Door Peninsula - I grew up there and visit all the time. The Green Bay side has more towns due to more natural harbors. There is actually more sand on the Lake Michigan side. And on the Lake Michigan side of Door County it's very scenic, with both cliffs and beaches...

Cave Point:

Whitefish Dunes:

There are much more scenic bluffs north of Milwaukee - Grafton, Port Washington, etc., not to mention Door County - than in Milwaukee proper.

And it's totally untrue that there are not scenic spots along Lake Michigan in Wisconsin. This is strangely perpetrated by Michiganders and people who've only been on the Michigan side (which is certainly beautiful and contains some very high dunes over by Sleepy Bear). Here are beaches in different WI counties along Lake Michigan...

Kohler-Andrae State Park (Sheboygan County):

There's a reason Sheboygan County is one of the top golf destinations in the country:

Point Beach State Park (Manitowoc County):

Ozaukee County Park (Ozaukee County):

Etc. I hate belaboring this, and I'm sure NOLA (who admitted he's never been on the West side of the Lake) will come in with his blather, but the WI side of Lake Michigan is also very scenic.

Old 10-03-2014, 01:29 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,922,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
There are summer homes throughout both sides of the Door Peninsula - I grew up there and visit all the time. The Green Bay side has more towns due to more natural harbors. There is actually more sand on the Lake Michigan side. And on the Lake Michigan side of Door County it's very scenic, with both cliffs and beaches...

Cave Point:

Whitefish Dunes:

There are much more scenic bluffs north of Milwaukee - Grafton, Port Washington, etc., not to mention Door County - than in Milwaukee proper.

And it's totally untrue that there are not scenic spots along Lake Michigan in Wisconsin. This is strangely perpetrated by Michiganders and people who've only been on the Michigan side (which is certainly beautiful and contains some very high dunes over by Sleepy Bear). Here are beaches in different WI counties along Lake Michigan...

Kohler-Andrae State Park (Sheboygan County):

There's a reason Sheboygan County is one of the top golf destinations in the country:

Point Beach State Park (Manitowoc County):

Ozaukee County Park (Ozaukee County):

Etc. I hate belaboring this, and I'm sure NOLA (who admitted he's never been on the West side of the Lake) will come in with his blather, but the WI side of Lake Michigan is also very scenic.

Beautiful pictures, AND NOLA's blather is taken with a grain of salt. That much bias can never be taken seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.