U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What region has the best climate?
West 90 54.88%
Midwest 28 17.07%
South 24 14.63%
Northeast 22 13.41%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 12:25 PM

13,244 posts, read 24,518,526 times

Advertisements

Not the South.

Different parts of the West, Midwest, and Northeast appeal to me. Basically, I like mild summers (<80F during the day), and lots of snow.

So wherever you can find that.

Old 08-19-2014, 12:33 PM

2,069 posts, read 2,211,608 times
The coastal portion of the US South that is in proximity to the Gulf/Atlantic Coast, is subtropical paradise, and has, in my opinion, the best climate in the US.

In the summer, you have all the allure and beauty of the tropics, with the sufficient heat and humidity, along with lots of sun AND lots of tropical-style thunderstorms to wow the viewers.

In the winter, you have mild, sunny conditions where daytime highs are commonly in the 60s and 70s, sometimes even some 80s. Coldfronts are pulverized by the time they reach this coastal portion of the South, and thus become nothing more than cool breezes which dry out the air, and shift the wind. Freezes occur in the Coastal South AT MOST only a handful of times each winter, with many parts of the region being frostless. Said Coastal South freezes usually manifest as light dips to freezing temps, usually not below the 30F, that last for a couple hours at most before temps rise right up to the 60s, even 70s under the low-latitude subtropical sun.

This awesome climate allows for all kinds of subtropical/tropical plants, be it cotton, rice, sugar cane, bananas, citrus, different varieties of palms, etc, to survive AND thrive in the Coastal South, and the various cities in the region, such as Corpus Christi, Houston, New Orleans, Tampa, Miami, Savannah, and Charleston. The warmest parts of the Coastal South( peninsular Florida, the Texas barrier islands, and the Plaquemines Parish of Louisiana) are the only places in the Continental US where coconut palms can grow properly and in full health, to the point that they fruit. People living in this part of the South can easily go outdoors year round, and experience lush, verdant green landscapes (even during winter). You wont need A/C or Heat to live in the Coastal South; Northern India and Eastern South Africa have similar climates to the Coastal South, and the people there don't use A/C or Heat.

Last edited by Yn0hTnA; 08-19-2014 at 12:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 12:57 PM

15,188 posts, read 31,558,996 times
Quote:
You wont need A/C or Heat to live in the Coastal South
I've lived here my whole life and I remember what it was like living without a/c. Not fun!

Old 08-19-2014, 01:40 PM

14,174 posts, read 23,351,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Not the South.

Different parts of the West, Midwest, and Northeast appeal to me. Basically, I like mild summers (<80F during the day), and lots of snow.

So wherever you can find that.
I think the only reason you like snow so much is because you grew up where it doesn't snow

The perfect climate is coastal Southern California. End of story

Old 08-19-2014, 01:43 PM

14,174 posts, read 23,351,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I've lived here my whole life and I remember what it was like living without a/c. Not fun!
I couldn't take living in Denver without A/C lol!

Old 08-19-2014, 02:21 PM

13,244 posts, read 24,518,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I think the only reason you like snow so much is because you grew up where it doesn't snow

The perfect climate is coastal Southern California. End of story
Haha, you're probably right!

Old 08-19-2014, 03:41 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,766,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
You wont need A/C or Heat to live in the Coastal South; Northern India and Eastern South Africa have similar climates to the Coastal South, and the people there don't use A/C or Heat.
^^This is a joke, right? I could go into detail, but I don't think it's necessary. Just... wow.

Old 08-19-2014, 04:51 PM

2,779 posts, read 6,707,357 times
Southern California. Generally select places from there to Florida. I'm not one who worships 4 seasons and frankly I never have seen a great deal of snow. I don't know how to drive in it. So continental climates are out of the question for me.

Old 08-19-2014, 05:48 PM

11,149 posts, read 14,186,834 times
I prefer humid continental climates, because I like great variety and events in my weather patterns. I hate monotonous climates such as in SoCal. Having the same weather almost all the time would bore me to tears. I'd rather live in Buffalo.

The nice thing about humid climates is that you get lots of greenery and lush vegetation, which is good for the soul. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE it out west and love the scenery, and the weather can be a real treat. But I don't think I could live with it all year round forever. Heck, here in the northeast, this summer has been exactly like SoCal weather for 3 months straight so far. 80 and sunny every day, and not much rain at all.

I'm totally looking forward to fall and winter. It puts you in a different mindset and mood. And it gives you more activities to do.

The climate of the South has its perks, too, but the summers are too long and hot and humid, which gets just as annoying as long winters up north.

Old 08-19-2014, 06:18 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,133,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I prefer humid continental climates, because I like great variety and events in my weather patterns. I hate monotonous climates such as in SoCal. Having the same weather almost all the time would bore me to tears. I'd rather live in Buffalo.

The nice thing about humid climates is that you get lots of greenery and lush vegetation, which is good for the soul. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE it out west and love the scenery, and the weather can be a real treat. But I don't think I could live with it all year round forever. Heck, here in the northeast, this summer has been exactly like SoCal weather for 3 months straight so far. 80 and sunny every day, and not much rain at all.

I'm totally looking forward to fall and winter. It puts you in a different mindset and mood. And it gives you more activities to do.

The climate of the South has its perks, too, but the summers are too long and hot and humid, which gets just as annoying as long winters up north.
SoCal is NOT 80F and sunny everyday unless it is summer.
Springs tend to be in the 60sF and overcast.
Winters are rainy and also in the 60sF
Fall is sunny and in the 70sF
And nights, even in summer, are chilly all year-long.
Though with the drought, hotter and sunnier weather is becoming more normal.

Personally, I voted West, simply because of Hawaii--Honolulu is my favorite climate. I like the SoCal weather but is just doesn't rain enough and I personally find the winters and springs to be a bit too cool for my taste.

After Hawaii, I would vote for South Florida. My only issue with the weather there would be the occasional cold snaps that affect the region for a few days each winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or