U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What region has the best climate?
West 90 54.88%
Midwest 28 17.07%
South 24 14.63%
Northeast 22 13.41%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 06:26 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,514,098 times

Advertisements

The Northwest is pretty much my ideal climate, my only complaints would be that it should snow a little more, and maybe just a little more sun, not too much though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 07:20 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,385,629 times
Northeast
West
South

Can't rank the Midwest since I've never been.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:37 PM

2,025 posts, read 2,351,464 times
I'm a full-on four seasons guy...the more weather the better. As you can guess by my I'd...I prefer the Midwest...Arctic winters, tropical steamy summers....and everything in between. The best part of it for me is the rapid changes from one day to the next...even from one hour to the next. I recall one time when I was a kid swimming in a pool on a hot day...temps in the 90's and all of a sudden a Midwest summer storm front came billowing through...lifeguard blowing whistles, sky darkening, hail coming down and temperatures ten minutes later were in the upper 60's. Midwest weather is a force of nature. I'd get bored without changeable dramatic weather.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:40 PM

25 posts, read 24,285 times
Definitely the west coast.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:54 PM

13,236 posts, read 24,412,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
even from one hour to the next. I recall one time when I was a kid swimming in a pool on a hot day...temps in the 90's and all of a sudden a Midwest summer storm front came billowing through...lifeguard blowing whistles, sky darkening, hail coming down and temperatures ten minutes later were in the upper 60's. Midwest weather is a force of nature. I'd get bored without changeable dramatic weather.
Same here. Last Sunday, I played two games of baseball in Denver.

Game 1, 1230pm first pitch:
overcast above, clear with cirrus clouds off in the distance, pushing 90F.
5 minute delay for a windstorm
play ball
light rain
heavy rain
rain delay for 10 minutes
play ball
light rain again
overcast

Game 2, 4pm first pitch:
Partly cloudy, low 80's, the entire game.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:19 PM

596 posts, read 675,928 times
I voted the west due to the diversity of weather in that large region.

More specifically, I prefer the climate of a place like Denver or Salt Lake with their four season climate, low humidity, and lots of sunshine.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:59 AM

23,572 posts, read 17,544,804 times
South Florida.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:16 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,277,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
SoCal is NOT 80F and sunny everyday unless it is summer.
Springs tend to be in the 60sF and overcast.
Winters are rainy and also in the 60sF
Fall is sunny and in the 70sF
And nights, even in summer, are chilly all year-long.
Though with the drought, hotter and sunnier weather is becoming more normal.

Personally, I voted West, simply because of Hawaii--Honolulu is my favorite climate. I like the SoCal weather but is just doesn't rain enough and I personally find the winters and springs to be a bit too cool for my taste.

After Hawaii, I would vote for South Florida. My only issue with the weather there would be the occasional cold snaps that affect the region for a few days each winter.
I've been to Hawaii many times and love the climate. It's humid, but not like "Florida humid".

I prefer Coastal SoCal because you get a "sort of" winter. Just cool enough that you can wear a jacket in the evenings and you get a different feeling from summer, but still warm enough that it stays green all winter and tropical vegetation grows there.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:02 AM

11,145 posts, read 14,116,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I've been to Hawaii many times and love the climate. It's humid, but not like "Florida humid".

I prefer Coastal SoCal because you get a "sort of" winter. Just cool enough that you can wear a jacket in the evenings and you get a different feeling from summer, but still warm enough that it stays green all winter and tropical vegetation grows there.
IMO SoCal is rather dry and arid looking. It just doesn't cut it. There's barely any native green grass, no dense deciduous forests, etc. That's why many new suburban developments have to plant all sorts of green trees and fake lawns in order to make everything look like the east coast as much as possible. I mean, it's a beautiful place, but I don't think I'd be too happy with the brown/drab appearance for the long term. I'd be CLAMORING for true greenery. Granted, the east coast looks like crap for half of the year, with nothing but leafless trees. But it's worth waiting for the summer.

IMO, the best possible season/climate/scenery period in the U.S would be upstate NY in the summer. 80's, sunny and dry with full greenery and some mountains. No need for AC ever. Hawaii sounds good too though.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:02 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,400,887 times
1. West
2. Midwest
3. NE
4. South
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or