U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What region has the best climate?
West 90 54.88%
Midwest 28 17.07%
South 24 14.63%
Northeast 22 13.41%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 08:19 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,752,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
And then, there are the responders who go on...and on.......and on.....and on.......
Yeah, I had a feeling Yn0h was going to come back at some point with a Russian novel-length epic of a post that basically says the exact same thing as the last Russian novel-length epic of a post.

As much as it would be nice to say "I'm enlightened", I'm really not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 08:55 PM

3,751 posts, read 3,718,804 times
Wow the West is crushing the other regions. I wonder if people are just thinking of California. Most of the West endures stifling heat, brutal cold, or both.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:29 PM

1,110 posts, read 909,052 times
1. Southern California
2. Southwest
3. Northwest
4. Texas/Southeast
5. Northeast
6. Midwest

Old 08-26-2014, 02:38 PM

1,021 posts, read 506,234 times
Southern California. Hands down. Mild winter nice fall and spring warm to hot summers.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:06 PM

32,079 posts, read 32,980,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
Southern CA
Agreed!

Old 08-28-2014, 08:29 PM

2,069 posts, read 2,199,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Consider yourself debunked. It isn't rare for San Antonio to go below 20F, on average it happens once every single year. Look it up on NOAA. Over the last 30 odd years, SA averages one day per year with a low temp of 20F or lower. There is no whacked out "cold epoch" going on here. I will ask you again for the umpteenth time to prove it with a link to scientific papers pointing out that the US is going thru a "cold epoch". You really have no clue.
Here are some scientific encyclopedias and reads that depict the changes in climate North America has had over centuries. If you look at many ancient Native American records, as well as scientific results from tree ring analyses, you will find that North America once was dominated by warm, moist air, to the point that even Cairo, Illinois had a 365 day growing season, proved by the existence of huge, florishing Native American societies at the Mississippi River Valley as grand as those in Central and South America. Once again, I still haven't found the specific scientific papers, but these books will offer a good starting point in realizing that this period of "cold" winters in North America is only the result of cold weather patterns, that are slowly easing away as we speak.

American Indians in U.S. History - Roger L. Nichols - Google Books

Colonial America To 1763 - Thomas L. Purvis - Google Books

Bird Migration and Global Change - Google Books

So there; I have provided books, and other scientific articles about the Cold Epoch weather pattern, and how it has affected North America over the centuries, making it appear that record lows are lower than elsewhere at the planet at the same latitude. On the other hand, you have yet to prove with hard, empirical evidence that North America has the most extremes in winter than elsewhere on the planet at the same latitude. There are no textbooks, climatologists, meteorologists, etc that have ever made such a climate. Its only on the Weather Forum in city data that such an absurd claim has ever been made.

If the US South really did have the most extreme winters of an subtropical region like you purport all the time, then it would also have the hardiest vegetation by far of any subtropical region. But according to my research, many native plants in the US South, such as the Southern Live Oak, are zone 8+, no different than the hardiness of native plants in other subtropical regions, such as the Mediterranean region, China, and North India. The cold waves that affect the US South probably have happened to the same magnitude at various other subtropical region on the planet at some point in history, going by what I saw of native plant hardiness in those other regions.

Last edited by Yn0hTnA; 08-28-2014 at 08:46 PM..

Old 08-28-2014, 08:31 PM

5,954 posts, read 7,322,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
You wont need A/C or Heat to live in the Coastal South; Northern India and Eastern South Africa have similar climates to the Coastal South, and the people there don't use A/C or Heat.
Yeah right..............

Old 08-28-2014, 09:06 PM

1,524 posts, read 2,263,375 times
Hawaii has hands down the perfect climate. I would take that climate and natural enviornment over anything in the world.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:00 PM

2,069 posts, read 2,199,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Yeah, I had a feeling Yn0h was going to come back at some point with a Russian novel-length epic of a post that basically says the exact same thing as the last Russian novel-length epic of a post.

As much as it would be nice to say "I'm enlightened", I'm really not.
But fear not! You can still be enlightened; all you have to do is grasp the basic concepts that are being put forth to you.

I will reiterate the point again: South Texas, being a subtropical climate, yes, will eventually see freezes that harm the coconuts, unlike in true tropical climates. But such freezes are infrequent enough that investing in coconut palms in South Texas is not unreasonable; the subtropical climate of South Texas is nigh tropical, just short of the mark. Lots of neotropic (associated with Central/South America) flora and fauna have their ranges extend well into Texas; you can see peccaries, ocelots, and even jaguars in the state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Yeah right..............
The Coastal US South is the true subtropical paradise of the US. Summers in the coastal South have lots of epic thunderstorms that quench and cool the landscape during summer, bringing relief. Summer skies in the Coastal South always are partly cloudy with lots of fluffy clouds that can pass over the sun, also bringing relief. Giant, humongous subtropical trees, such as Live Oak, grow huge, and profusely in the South, and provide lots of shade. Build a home in the South that utilize such natural features, and you wont need A/C.

Winters in the Coastal South are sunny and mild, with highs commonly in the 60s and 70s, and lows commonly in the 40s and 50s. I've visited North India, and South Africa during their respective cool seasons before, so trust me when I say that the Coastal South is VERY similar to those regions in climate. Cold fronts are pulverized by the low-latitude subtropical sun by the time they reach the Coastal South, and thus do nothing other than shift the wind, and dry out the air. Any freezes that do occur overnight are always accompanied by 60F+ temps by afternoon. So you wont need Heat in the South.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:09 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,752,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
But fear not! You can still be enlightened; all you have to do is grasp the basic concepts that are being put forth to you.
You are a silly one.

So, what exactly are your credentials again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or