U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 06:50 PM

2 posts, read 1,917 times

Advertisements

For a variety of reasons, my boyfriend and I are finally considering a move FROM Austin, Tx to elsewhere in the US. While most people seem to be moving TO Austin, we have decided we want something a little different.

We want to live downtown. With 100+ people moving to Austin each day, everything worth doing takes a 3 hour wait now. We're in a home now but we're tired of yard upkeep, we don't have children (nor do we plan to), and we're fed-up with constant Summer and having to drive everywhere.

Where in the US would be a good city that matches the following criteria?:

* Good IT job market. We're both IT professionals, my boyfriend can keep his job and work from home, but I would need an office to go to.

* Moderate climate. We're both fed up with 110+ degree summers, and want somewhere a little cooler. We want something with a season other than stupidly hot or icy for a week.

* Artsy, interesting, liberal crowd. We don't necessarily need a college town, but somewhere refined and/or expressive. We like the "weird" in Austin.

* Low Crime. This one may be a taller order in a downtown area, but we'd prefer not to get mugged.

* FOOD. We are major foodies, and want a city that has a variety of good options. This is why we're looking at downtown options, to have choices and not have to drive everywhere.

* Decent-Sized City. We are looking for a moderate to large downtown area with lots of options and at least a few things going on each night.

* Quality for the money. We're not exactly interested in California or its prices, and the same goes for Austin downtown living (starts at a cool 1 million). We'd like to stay under 500K and get a good bang for the buck. So it doesn't have to be super cheap, but what's most important is if it's worth the money.

While we are not sporty or outdoorsy-folks (we're more BBQ and wine people) scenery would be a "nice to have". So, we're looking for a place we can stay and call home.

Ideas? Opinions? Things to stay away from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 07:45 PM

56,501 posts, read 80,803,243 times
What about city size? Are you looking to rent or buy? Does it have to be a Downtown or could it be a district in another part of the city?

Old 08-18-2014, 11:13 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,509,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about city size? Are you looking to rent or buy? Does it have to be a Downtown or could it be a district in another part of the city?
I was about to ask the same. I just got back from a trip to Buffalo, where the downtown is horrible, but other parts of the city (Allentown, Elmwood Village, and parts of the Westside) match exactly what you're looking for: farmers markets, punk rock clubs, cute cafes, second hand clothing stores, gay bars, radical bookstores. The same could be said about Milwaukee and Louisville, which are both amazing, underrated cities with, at best, boring downtown areas.

If you're dead-set on a living in a downtown only, according to your criteria, I'd say you'd probably have the best luck in Cleveland, Albany, Omaha, Pittsburgh, or Saint Paul.

Last edited by Dawn.Davenport; 08-18-2014 at 11:24 PM..

Old 08-19-2014, 06:26 AM

21,180 posts, read 30,336,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novaquinn View Post
For a variety of reasons, my boyfriend and I are finally considering a move FROM Austin, Tx to elsewhere in the US. While most people seem to be moving TO Austin, we have decided we want something a little different.

We want to live downtown. With 100+ people moving to Austin each day, everything worth doing takes a 3 hour wait now. We're in a home now but we're tired of yard upkeep, we don't have children (nor do we plan to), and we're fed-up with constant Summer and having to drive everywhere.

Where in the US would be a good city that matches the following criteria?:

* Good IT job market. We're both IT professionals, my boyfriend can keep his job and work from home, but I would need an office to go to.

* Moderate climate. We're both fed up with 110+ degree summers, and want somewhere a little cooler. We want something with a season other than stupidly hot or icy for a week.

* Artsy, interesting, liberal crowd. We don't necessarily need a college town, but somewhere refined and/or expressive. We like the "weird" in Austin.

* Low Crime. This one may be a taller order in a downtown area, but we'd prefer not to get mugged.

* FOOD. We are major foodies, and want a city that has a variety of good options. This is why we're looking at downtown options, to have choices and not have to drive everywhere.

* Decent-Sized City. We are looking for a moderate to large downtown area with lots of options and at least a few things going on each night.

* Quality for the money. We're not exactly interested in California or its prices, and the same goes for Austin downtown living (starts at a cool 1 million). We'd like to stay under 500K and get a good bang for the buck. So it doesn't have to be super cheap, but what's most important is if it's worth the money.

While we are not sporty or outdoorsy-folks (we're more BBQ and wine people) scenery would be a "nice to have". So, we're looking for a place we can stay and call home.

Ideas? Opinions? Things to stay away from?
Check out Denver and the downtown neighborhoods of Cheesman Park, Capitol Hill and Congress Park.

Old 08-19-2014, 06:44 AM

3,144 posts, read 2,824,419 times
Rule Pittsburgh out. One of the worst food scenes going. I am a foodie and it is rough. Even finding ingredients can be such a hassle. Most of the time I have to order specialty items online.

Old 08-19-2014, 06:50 AM

56,501 posts, read 80,803,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
I was about to ask the same. I just got back from a trip to Buffalo, where the downtown is horrible, but other parts of the city (Allentown, Elmwood Village, and parts of the Westside) match exactly what you're looking for: farmers markets, punk rock clubs, cute cafes, second hand clothing stores, gay bars, radical bookstores. The same could be said about Milwaukee and Louisville, which are both amazing, underrated cities with, at best, boring downtown areas.

If you're dead-set on a living in a downtown only, according to your criteria, I'd say you'd probably have the best luck in Cleveland, Albany, Omaha, Pittsburgh, or Saint Paul.
You were reading my mind, as some parts of cities outside of Downtown are better fits than Downtown is. North Buffalo along Hertel also has some things going on as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-19-2014 at 07:16 AM..

Old 08-19-2014, 08:25 AM

3,178 posts, read 3,844,346 times
Cleveland would be perfect for you. Meets all of your criteria.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:31 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,271,626 times
I second Denver. It sounds exactly like what you're looking for. There are many condos, most being fairly new. You'd have access to all sports, bars, clubs, restaurants, performing arts, biking trails, an amusement park, shopping, light rail... and if you're up high enough, mountain views. It's also liberal/artsy.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:59 AM

338 posts, read 361,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Rule Pittsburgh out. One of the worst food scenes going. I am a foodie and it is rough. Even finding ingredients can be such a hassle. Most of the time I have to order specialty items online.
You are kidding correct? You must not look very hard.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:09 AM

2,958 posts, read 3,816,032 times
You're pretty much describing Seattle, except that it's expensive and rents are on the up and up. Perhaps Denver or Mineapolis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or