U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 02:37 AM

34 posts, read 37,664 times

Advertisements

What city in the U.S. has the least amount of house bugs.
I don't care about anything that stays outside.
Lived in Maryland in the forest and the bugs lived in the house more then I did.
I currently live in south carolina and it is just horrible.
They just swarm in no matter how many times I bug proof.
Lived in LA and I always could be greeted by a big roach in my bed.
I have had about enough of bugs. I wish it was somehow possible to move to a place without them.

I am making this thread after I just lifted my sheets to find 3 spiders crawling on me.
I honestly would move anywhere on the planet if it meant no bugs in my house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 03:25 AM

43,142 posts, read 41,752,473 times
Have you ever used an exterminator?

Old 08-19-2014, 06:15 AM

21,180 posts, read 30,336,326 times
Higher altitudes generally do the trick in terms of roaches. Spiders not so much as they love tree cover and wet conditions. If you live in a house consider an exterminator. I live in bug-ridden Florida and have the outside perimeter treated four times per year, and haven't seen a spider or roach since.

Old 08-19-2014, 06:47 AM

3,144 posts, read 2,824,419 times
The colder climate areas of PA. Very few bugs inside or out.

Old 08-19-2014, 06:57 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,394,206 times
The answer - nowhere outside a permafrost tundra. And even Antarctica has a native species of bug.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:08 AM
BMI

7,262 posts, read 4,489,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
The answer - nowhere outside a permafrost tundra. And even Antarctica has a native species of bug.
True.

Though generally less bugs farther north you go.
For example, Florida much worse than Vermont for bugs inside the house.

Humid tropical and subtropical climates are going to more buggy.

My best friend grew up in Hawaii and they had their home sprayed
every year, they would take a week vaction while it was done.

My mom had a good friend that moved to Houston,
a few years later she moved back,
when my mom asked her why, she rplied that she continually
tried really hard to keep her home as clean as possible
but every time she would open a kitchen cabinet door there would be a roach to greet her

No place is bug free, for USA I would try a state like Vermont, nice people,
nice scenery, and less bugs inside the home. Win, win

Old 08-19-2014, 08:21 AM

3,178 posts, read 3,844,346 times
You could try living near a glacier. You would think that bugs get better far north, but as long as the temperatures are above 60, the mosquitos are even worse. In northern Alaska you can actually die of blood loss from mosquito bites. They're more ravenous because of the shorter breeding season.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:38 AM

2,066 posts, read 4,415,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorebugs View Post
What city in the U.S. has the least amount of house bugs.
I don't care about anything that stays outside.
Lived in Maryland in the forest and the bugs lived in the house more then I did.
I currently live in south carolina and it is just horrible.
They just swarm in no matter how many times I bug proof.
Lived in LA and I always could be greeted by a big roach in my bed.
I have had about enough of bugs. I wish it was somehow possible to move to a place without them.

I am making this thread after I just lifted my sheets to find 3 spiders crawling on me.
I honestly would move anywhere on the planet if it meant no bugs in my house.
Although bugs are everywhere, I would think that an area with fewer trees, vegetation and lakes or ponds would have fewer bugs. Beautiful communities nestled in the woods around water are infested with bugs. My guess would be that moving to an urban area as opposed to a rural or suburban area would be a the first step in living in a less bug inhabited area. Secondly, I would think that the higher in altitude, the fewer bugs. Therefore, living in a highrise apartment or condo on the highest floors would probably have fewer bugs and you would probably only have to deal with flying incests. My suggestion: Living in the city in a highrise apartment or condo probably is the best bet.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:43 AM

3,178 posts, read 3,844,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Although bugs are everywhere, I would think that an area with fewer trees, vegetation and lakes or ponds would have fewer bugs. Beautiful communities nestled in the woods around water are infested with bugs. My guess would be that moving to an urban area as opposed to a rural or suburban area would be a the first step in living in a less bug inhabited area. Secondly, I would think that the higher in altitude, the fewer bugs. Therefore, living in a highrise apartment or condo on the highest floors would probably have fewer bugs and you would probably only have to deal with flying incests. My suggestion: Living in the city in a highrise apartment or condo probably is the best bet.
In urban areas you deal with worse bugs - bed bugs, cockroaches, etc. In a rural area, the natural ecosystem keeps most insect populations in check. In urban areas these pests can explode in number. Highrises and condos might actually be your worst bet.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:57 AM

11,170 posts, read 22,361,018 times
I was shocked when I first came to Chicago and realized there are no mosquitos anywhere in the city from what I could tell. I haven't had any bugs indoors either except maybe once or twice a year I see a stray fly or a little spider by the window, and that's after 13 years of being here.

The suburbs have a ton of bugs, but I think it's the lack of any stagnant or standing water anywhere in the city or along the lakefront. They must spray the sewers too, who knows. Some years I had forgotten what bug bites were like, then I went camping and had a very rude awakening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.