U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 07:29 AM

390 posts, read 785,234 times

Advertisements

It means you're freewheeling and hold nothing back. You shoot from the hip and are very laid back. You smoke pot and relax. Nobody tells you what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 10:31 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,486,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Well, I don't know about everyone else, but the answer for me is very, very easy.

Sure, weather is part of it, but for me personally, the real reason is:

Public land. The vast majority of the US west of the Great Plains is public land, mostly federal, and largely available for recreation and exploration.

The vast majority of the nations national parks and monuments (places that were chosen because of their one of a kind scenic beauty) are in the west. All the mountain forests are national forests, and the deserts are all bureau of land management. Many areas within National forests and BLM are designated wilderness. You also have Reservation lands, which do allow some kinds of recreation with permission from the tribes. Even a stone throw away from cities you have this. The Angeles National forests, the national recreation areas Golden Gate and Santa Monica Mtns right on the border of San Fran and LA propers respecively.

Private lands/private property are islands within the public lands in the west. In the east its reverse: The public lands are islands in a sea of farms and other private property and land. (there are exceptions, New York has the adirondack and Catskills parks, Florida has vast areas of conservation lands, The appalachians, ozarks, northwoods have a higher than average % of pub lands. You do have national forests, state forests, and a gazillion state parks that have camping, lakes, and some hiking trails, but you can quickly cover those areas and run out if you are a serious outdoor enthusiast.

Thats where the difference lies. You have so much variety of landscapes in the west. Again this is how I see it. Weather is great, but its really secondary.

I wouldn't say that people in the eastern US are workaholics, or that the cities are any more rat racy. Far from it. But it is much harder to find people who share your interests. People just have other interests, and apart from groups like Boy Scouts, or those whose careers are in environmental science, etc. its just tough to find people who "get out" the way you do in western cities.
Sometimes the most obvious differences are the most ignored.

Public and Private Land Percentages by US States : Facts & Information : SummitPost

Old 09-25-2014, 07:05 PM

12,172 posts, read 15,460,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Definitely. I moved to Denver from the LA area and culture is similar in Denver. I think "out West", the climate is just more conducive to outdoor living, so people spend more time outdoors.

Although winter isn't horrible in Denver, I still want to move back to Southern California someday. To me, the climate is perfect and I feel more at home there. Compared to NYC, people are less "uptight", so it seems. And I like that it's ok (here in Denver too) to go out to dinner at a reasonably nice restaurant in a t-shirt, shorts and flip flops. Last time I went to NYC to visit an old college friend, he told me to "bring clothes appropriate for eating out. Something black is preferable and dress shoes" lol! I did what he said, and felt odd getting dressed up just to go out to dinner.
I moved from NY to AZ 18 years ago, and I still wear black, just more casual attire. Old habits die hard. OP If you can move, why not try San Diego?

Old 09-26-2014, 05:09 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,267,205 times
I think the OP's ideas about San Francisco are pretty spot-on with regard to its comparison to NYC. SF is a vibrant, sophisticated city in the heart of one of the most stunning natural environments in the world, with one of the most pleasant climates imaginable. It retains the characteristics of all of these influences as well as the OP imagines, with a unique Northern California personality that is unmatched. It's not without its rat race, but it does offer some of the most striking counterbalances to it you will find--sometimes within walking distance!

I find the Northern California lifestyle to be the perfect balance of industrious yet laid-back, intellectual, free-thinking, outdoorsy, urbane, and eccentric. When you live here, its sensibilities become part of you--I think it's almost exactly as the OP envisions as an alternative to NYC.

The weather in SF is pleasant year-round, never hot or cold -- it resembles a New York late Spring/early Summer for 8-9 months of the year and an early Fall for the other 3-4.

You can work in the Financial District, in the heart of a bustling city, and be hiking in secluded National Park green space overlooking a rocky cliff, with giant waves crashing on the shore below and a 1000 foot fog bank spilling over redwood-covered foothills in about 25-30 minutes.

Wine Country--scenic valleys filled with multiple small towns with hundreds of vineyards, world class and farm-to-table dining, and a culinary culture all its own is less than an hour away.

The Sierra, with fantastic skiing is about three hours away, across the richest farming region in the world and Gold Country's quirky 19th-century Western vibe.

America's outdoor gem, Yosemite is about 2.5 hours away.

The area around San Francisco itself is full of green space and beautiful vistas, hiking trails, shoreline, campsites, nature preserves, etc. in some instances, within biking distance and/or public transportation.

The microclimates afford us great changes in weather within a very compact area, allowing for warm or cool climates within easy reach, depending on our desired activities.

Plus, as a city, SF is interesting, charming, eclectic and stimulating, full of different neighborhoods, each with its own personality and things to explore.

It's a unique place that's easy for some to dismiss because of its extremes in many areas like expense and politics, but for those who "get it," as I suspect the OP does, it's an unbelievable place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or