U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 08:22 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,051,521 times

Advertisements

Palm Springs, CA is--far and away--the most gay-friendly small town I've ever been to. YMMV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 08:55 PM

9,434 posts, read 18,347,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Palm Springs, CA is--far and away--the most gay-friendly small town I've ever been to. YMMV.
The OP said he dislikes the gay scene in Seattle and that he wanted to be in a cooler climate, around farms, mountains, country music and a rural lifestyle. I'd imagine he'd likely find the gay scene and the weather in Palm Springs repulsive.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:16 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,517,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
The OP said he dislikes the gay scene in Seattle and that he wanted to be in a cooler climate, around farms, mountains, country music and a rural lifestyle. I'd imagine he'd likely find the gay scene and the weather in Palm Springs repulsive.
And since when is Palm Springs considered a "small town"?

Old 08-22-2014, 09:51 PM

4,946 posts, read 7,605,059 times
Palm Springs is also an "old gay man's" town, which, while certainly would likely make him the most popular guy on the block, might not fulfill his desires for finding a partner.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,137 times
I can't believe you are only 22 years old and saying that! I'm 13 years older and I been thinking that for the past few years. When I was 22, I was thinking about moving away from Boston and looking at places like Miami or Los Angeles. Well good for you! I'm surprised that you want to get away from Seattle, as I imagine that it is more friendlier than Boston (maybe you can visit and see for yourself).

I can agree with your decision. Some people can grow tired of the big city bar/club scene and pretentiousness. I am in the same boat as you. Granted I live just outside of Boston, but the city has been so crowded lately. Real estate and rents have skyrocketed, traffic is getting worse, and all of that has also pushed into the surrounding cities. Cost of living has increased, and at least for me, a night out in town for dinner and drinks can get expensive. If I do go out, it's local or a gathering at a friend's place (I know, I sound old).

And probably like you, I want to consider a smaller town...one that is not part or near a major city. I like quietness, space, little to no traffic, friendly (and gay-friendly), and also some culture. Another thing I care about is heat and humidity (so basically not too far south). I'm glad that I did not move to Miami! Some of the suggestions the others mentioned sound good. Places like Virginia, the Carolinas, Georgia sound good. I haven't been to the Northwest yet, but would love to check it out soon!

If you are considering the Northeast, feel free to contact me as I am familiar with it. The only place I would not recommend from the other's suggestions is Provincetown, which is just a gay summer destination. Even for that, that may not (or may?) be your place to be. It's basically a beachside resort version of Boston, so expect crowds and a lot of attitude. It's active in the summer months, less so in the fall, and a ghost town until late spring.

Good luck on your searches! Let us know what you decide.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:49 PM

5,558 posts, read 3,709,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
And since when is Palm Springs considered a "small town"?
Palm Springs IS a small town. The population is under 50,000. Yes, the entire desert area is much higher, but PS is still a small town.

As for it being an "older" gay town, yes, there is some truth to that. But, like many other towns of its size it also offers many traditional families, and younger gays. I would warn against generalization here.

Beyond Palm Springs, I would offer these:

Ann Arbor, MI
Missoula, MT
Asheville, NC
Bellingham, WA
Bloomington, IN
Most of Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire

Old 03-01-2017, 04:46 PM

605 posts, read 467,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Palm Springs IS a small town. The population is under 50,000. Yes, the entire desert area is much higher, but PS is still a small town.

As for it being an "older" gay town, yes, there is some truth to that. But, like many other towns of its size it also offers many traditional families, and younger gays. I would warn against generalization here.

Beyond Palm Springs, I would offer these:

Ann Arbor, MI
Missoula, MT
Asheville, NC
Bellingham, WA
Bloomington, IN
Most of Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire
If Ann Arbor is going to be included then I would throw in Madison, WI and other college towns in the the Midwest as well. Actually Yellow Springs, OH might be a good fit.

Local city and villages among those with most gay couples

Old 03-02-2017, 12:15 AM

12,201 posts, read 10,427,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beasley106 View Post
If Ann Arbor is going to be included then I would throw in Madison, WI and other college towns in the the Midwest as well. Actually Yellow Springs, OH might be a good fit.

Local city and villages among those with most gay couples
Yep, YS is an ideal answer for those who want a truly small, gay-friendly town.

Old 03-04-2017, 02:35 PM

539 posts, read 246,539 times
I'm surprised no one has suggested Ashland, OR yet. It's a college town with a Shakespeare festival, but that don't mean it ain't country. I mean, even the liberals own guns and drive Ford pickup trucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or