Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 07:32 PM

6 posts, read 5,937 times

Advertisements

Good evening City-Data members!

My wife and I are looking to buy our first home. Currently, we live together in a 700 sqf condo that we bought a couple of years ago and it's time for something different.

We are from the Midwest and like the down-to-earth, friendly people that are generally found around here.

We sat down and made a list of the most important things that our new home town should have. Where in the country is not important so long as the following 7 things are covered (or as many as possible). Below are the 7 things in order of most important to least important:

1) Family-friendly (We plan to have a kid or two and we'd like to be in a town that has families)
2) Low Crime (Safety is important for us: We both have significant visual impairments so we'd prefer not to have a home in a town where everyone needs home security systems or where residents are commonly assaulted while walking their dog)
3) Quiet (We like peace and quiet, the feeling of "being away from all the craziness" is very appealing to us)
4) Walmart (The smaller the town the better, but, we'd like to have a Walmart so we can buy all the things we are accustomed to buying in one place.)
5) Good Schools
6) Taxis/Cabs (In a perfect world, we would be able to walk to the bank, post office, Walmart, and park, but being realistic and considering the fact that neither of us see well enough to drive, we will more than likely need to use a taxi to get to those places)
7) Parks (By this I mean, we'd like to be in a town that prides itself on having nice parks, having community events, etc.)

Our price range for a house would be $300,000 or less. Also a town/neighborhood where there is privacy in the backyard by trees or fences would be great.

Does a town like this exist? Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you and we look forward to hearing your suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 07:52 PM

92,060 posts, read 122,237,106 times
You may need to add more criteria, because you could find those things in many communities in just about any state.

Just to throw a town out there off the top of my head, Camillus NY would/could fit.
http://goo.gl/maps/ojK9Y

RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List

Camillus Parks and Recreation

West Genesee School District - Camillus, NY

This town also has some similar shopping amenities here:
http://goo.gl/maps/zggi1

It is also getting this as well: Township 5, Syracuse, NY | Cameron Group LLC (opening date has been pushed back)

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-19-2014 at 08:10 PM..

Old 08-19-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You may need to add more criteria, because you could find those things in many communities in just about any state.

Just to throw a town out there off the top of my head, Camillus NY would/could fit.
http://goo.gl/maps/ojK9Y
Thank you for your response. I will look into Camillus. Could you give me an idea of what type of criteria I'd need to specify to narrow things down?

One thing I can think of is that we'd like the town to be conservative-leaning. What else would you suggest I specify?

Thank you.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amggdr View Post
Thank you for your response. I will look into Camillus. Could you give me an idea of what type of criteria I'd need to specify to narrow things down?

One thing I can think of is that we'd like the town to be conservative-leaning. What else would you suggest I specify?

Thank you.
Perhaps weather, the job situation and cultural or other amenities.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Perhaps weather, the job situation and cultural or other amenities.
Ahhh ok so let's see.

Weather wise, my wife does not like snow...So a place taht gets no snow (on average) in the winter would be great.

As far as jobs go: I have an internet business and that provides our income. My wife does love animals though: So it would be ideal if the town had an animal shelter, or anything dealing with animals--that is her passion.

I don't think we have anything specific in the way of cultural amenities. My wife is African-American so a town that had at least one hair salon with stylists who were familiar and comfortable with African-American hair would be good.

Thanks.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:03 PM

13,336 posts, read 39,721,755 times
Check out Cookeville, Tennessee

http://www.city-data.com/forum/cooke...ea-photos.html

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 08-19-2014, 09:20 PM

Thank you!

We will look into Cookeville.

Now we have 2 good towns to research. Any other suggestions out there?

Old 08-19-2014, 09:27 PM

I would take Camillus out due to snow.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:52 PM

Quote:
I would take Camillus out due to snow.
...Good point

I will keep it on the list in hopes of possibly convincing my wife to let the snow thing slide...

Old 08-20-2014, 07:47 AM

26,851 posts, read 43,324,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amggdr View Post
Good evening City-Data members!

My wife and I are looking to buy our first home. Currently, we live together in a 700 sqf condo that we bought a couple of years ago and it's time for something different.

We are from the Midwest and like the down-to-earth, friendly people that are generally found around here.

We sat down and made a list of the most important things that our new home town should have. Where in the country is not important so long as the following 7 things are covered (or as many as possible). Below are the 7 things in order of most important to least important:

1) Family-friendly (We plan to have a kid or two and we'd like to be in a town that has families)
2) Low Crime (Safety is important for us: We both have significant visual impairments so we'd prefer not to have a home in a town where everyone needs home security systems or where residents are commonly assaulted while walking their dog)
3) Quiet (We like peace and quiet, the feeling of "being away from all the craziness" is very appealing to us)
4) Walmart (The smaller the town the better, but, we'd like to have a Walmart so we can buy all the things we are accustomed to buying in one place.)
5) Good Schools
6) Taxis/Cabs (In a perfect world, we would be able to walk to the bank, post office, Walmart, and park, but being realistic and considering the fact that neither of us see well enough to drive, we will more than likely need to use a taxi to get to those places)
7) Parks (By this I mean, we'd like to be in a town that prides itself on having nice parks, having community events, etc.)

Our price range for a house would be $300,000 or less. Also a town/neighborhood where there is privacy in the backyard by trees or fences would be great.

Does a town like this exist? Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you and we look forward to hearing your suggestions.
Check out Salem, Virginia which is a sweet small town (population 25K) near the much larger city of Roanoke (population 98K) in SW Virginia. Salem has a low crime rate, very good public schools (rated 8 out of 10 on GreatSchools), family-friendliness, peace and quiet largely, easy access to stores/services including an in-town Walmart, several taxi/cab services that service the area from nearby Roanoke, beautiful parks and greenspace, and many community events to keep you busy.

City of Salem | Virginia's Championship City
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.