Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2014, 02:34 PM

2 posts, read 3,076 times

Advertisements

Hi, City-data! This is my first post here after plenty of lurking, and I have months of thoughts to dump out in the least wordy possible way; bear with me!

Our small family of three is looking to escape the heat of AZ, but each of us have agreed on some specific criteria for our new location. Greenery, good public schools for the young'un, average or low crime rates, and decently low cost of living. A dominant religion, or religious stereotypes don't matter as long as it's not overbearingly so. We're frugal people that like to live below our means (small houses, often townhomes, on a small property since our yard has only ever been used for grilling or sitting - most of our outdoor activities are away from home hiking/biking/running).

Relatively mild winters are important. Some snowfall is okay, and we all agree that rain is AWESOME. Gray skies don't scare us so long as it isn't all year long. Arizona has coddled us from having any snowfall at all, but we've also survived Denver, CO's snowfall and that was too much for us. Something in-between, preferably on the lower end, would be great!

Work opportunity. I have a working mother who is experienced and interested in sales, management, and business. She'd like to know of fortune-1000 companies that might be within a justifiable driving distance.

Affordable rent is a must! Arizona may have its ups and downs, but good rent has definitely been a huge plus. We looked into Seattle and every surrounding town but we couldn't justify the COL with ourselves - some areas cost MORE than the expensive parts of California that many people have tried to scare me away from!

Places considered thus far that I'm on the fence about:
-Provo, and a few specific areas of Salt Lake City, UT (crime varies drastically within Salt lake city alone, and my Mother noted that most houses for sale/rent all 'seemed very old and cheap' in UT. You could say Arizona has spoiled us a bit)
-Sedona, Flagstaff, or Prescott, AZ (all three have a very 'small town' vibe, concerned about lack of opportunity)
-Various towns in both SC and NC (hearing the word "overrated" too often for comfort... not sure why)
-Various towns in VA (COL seems very strictly proportional with crime rate and employment)
-Vancouver, WA

I'd be grateful for any experience and insight you all could share on the above places, and if you can suggest some more as well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 03:16 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Perhaps Omaha NE, Des Moines IA and Louisville KY may fit.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:46 AM

27,207 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrookek View Post
Our small family of three is looking to escape the heat of AZ, but each of us have agreed on some specific criteria for our new location. Greenery, good public schools for the young'un, average or low crime rates, and decently low cost of living. A dominant religion, or religious stereotypes don't matter as long as it's not overbearingly so. We're frugal people that like to live below our means (small houses, often townhomes, on a small property since our yard has only ever been used for grilling or sitting - most of our outdoor activities are away from home hiking/biking/running).

Relatively mild winters are important. Some snowfall is okay, and we all agree that rain is AWESOME. Gray skies don't scare us so long as it isn't all year long. Arizona has coddled us from having any snowfall at all, but we've also survived Denver, CO's snowfall and that was too much for us. Something in-between, preferably on the lower end, would be great!

Work opportunity. I have a working mother who is experienced and interested in sales, management, and business. She'd like to know of fortune-1000 companies that might be within a justifiable driving distance.

Affordable rent is a must! Arizona may have its ups and downs, but good rent has definitely been a huge plus. We looked into Seattle and every surrounding town but we couldn't justify the COL with ourselves - some areas cost MORE than the expensive parts of California that many people have tried to scare me away from!
I would recommend the Northern Atlanta suburbs in places such as Roswell, Dunwoody, Alpharetta, Johns Creek and Suwanee. They tick off all of your criteria quite well.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:29 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,889,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrookek View Post
Places considered thus far that I'm on the fence about:
-Provo, and a few specific areas of Salt Lake City, UT (crime varies drastically within Salt lake city alone, and my Mother noted that most houses for sale/rent all 'seemed very old and cheap' in UT. You could say Arizona has spoiled us a bit)
-Sedona, Flagstaff, or Prescott, AZ (all three have a very 'small town' vibe, concerned about lack of opportunity)
-Various towns in both SC and NC (hearing the word "overrated" too often for comfort... not sure why)
-Various towns in VA (COL seems very strictly proportional with crime rate and employment)
-Vancouver, WA

None of these places are affordable unless you choose a terrible small town in SC, NC, or VA.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:38 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,217,187 times
Have you looked at Tulsa? Our crime statistics are higher than average but only because of some clearly defined ghetto areas. Outside of those, town is pretty safe and our larger suburbs (Broken Arrow, Jenks, Owasso) are really safe and boring. Winters are like Denver but even more mild. We do get ice storms unlike Denver so you have to be careful with those. Unemployment is under 5% and we have a large number of Fortune 1000 company HQs and offices.

Old 08-21-2014, 05:37 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,023,616 times
Perhaps Eugene, OR? Or the Portland suburbs (which include Vancouver, WA)?

Old 08-21-2014, 08:22 PM

730 posts, read 814,937 times
Nashville

Old 08-22-2014, 09:37 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
Nashville has bypassed the affordable rent requirement. Davidson schools aren't the best.

There are surprisingly highly rated schools in Johnson City and Greeneville TN. Not too many fortune 500 companies. Would a smaller company do?

Lots of good options in NC if you avoid Asheville and other hippie meccas it is affordable. Charlotte has the most big businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.